Sword Coast Stratagems v31 Now Available

Counterargument is, poison bought/made for putting on weapons is poison for putting on weapons. There's no reason each class should have exclusive access to its own unique brand.

As a matter of in-game logic, that doesn't follow: the amount of poison damage depends on the level of the assassin/blackguard, so it can't just be that there's one standard sort.

But I was more making a programming point. The two powers are logically distinct even if one might decide to make them have the same game effect. Locking them to the same IDS entry and .spl file gets the logical structure wrong. If at some subsequent time the designers decided the blackguard power was overpowered, they then would have the ability to change it without either having to change the Assassin ability set, or go back through the AI scripting and reroute it.

if "poison weapon" (poison = predicate /verb/, weapon = object) is a mundane practice of coating weapons in poison then it would still make sense for it to scale because higher level characters have learned more potent poison recipes.

however, if we thematically conceive of it like that would make it soooo much at odds with the blackguard's archetype. does a blackguard really spend time researching poison recipes? ehm no. all his powers are supposed to be of unnatural origin. if his 'poison weapon' could grammatically be parsed as poison /noun/ weapon, so that his weapon becomes a "poison weapon", i.e. a weapon that is related to poison in some essential, abstract way (for example, "a weapon supernaturally infused with the essence of poison"), that would make significantly more sense archetype-wise (for me at least...)

so two abilities have always seemed like a more appropriate solution for me, ever since the poison weapon nerf at least.

for example blackguard's poison weapon could be renamed to something like "imbue poison", or assassin's to something like "apply poison"

Edited by bob_veng

In my game apparently some creature are not correctly using their weapon.itm, for example giant spider doesn't use spidgi1.itm when attacking and as a result it only deals 1d3 nonlethal damage with no poison.

I tested this with vanilla siege of dragonspear + SCS only.

There could be something wrong in Improved Spiders.....

it seems that SCS "nerf" the thac0 of some monsters (for example ettercap and wyvern) to give them a thac0 appropriate to their level (e.g. a level 7 monster has a max thac0 of 13). Is this intended behaviour?

Yes and no. It's intentional for humanoid opponents who use weapon proficiencies (the vanilla game sometimes just gives them an ad-hoc hit bonus in place of building their proficiencies correctly) but may be being applied too widely. (The underlying reasons may be connected to the weapon-use oddities you describe, too.)

(the vanilla game sometimes just gives them an ad-hoc hit bonus in place of building their proficiencies correctly)

IIRC the vanilla game sometimes gives them an ad-hoc hit bonus in place of a proper STR score.

Insofar as there's a consistent rule base for BG2 creatures, it's AD&D second edition, and that system hardly ever gives strength bonuses to non-humanoid creatures.

Beginning with the premise that it's the first time I meddle with scripts, so I may say something stupid, giant spider script seems to tell him to destroy "spidgi1" if "spidgi1" is equipped. Editing the script to tell him to destroy another item (I picked spidhu1) seems to solve the problem.

Don't get me wrong, your reports around here are voluminous and informative - truly invaluable for improving mods. This is just constructive criticism. Sorry if it came off as offensive.

OK, don't worry, it didn't come off as offensive.

I try to do my best to detect bugs and report them..... However, sometimes I also give suggestions......

Hi everyone, I having a bit of a problem getting to install this addon, I'm getting this error code:

https://my.mixtape.moe/lpaytb.jpg

It amounts to not encountering the resource %BLESS%.spl on chitin.key

Here's the WeiDU log:

https://my.mixtape.moe/wtmify.log

This was done on BGEE version 1.3.2053 (GOG)

I really don't know why this would happen, I installed on this same version SCS v30 some time ago without any issues (not counting bugs inside the mod, eg: Durlag's Chess).

Any help would be really apreciated, I'm planning on doing a full run (including SoD)

H... I'm planning on doing a full run (including SoD)

Then you should update the game to v2.3.67.3 or v2.5.dadada, as there is no lesser than v2. BG1EE games that contain the SoD. And if you get it from GoG, it's attached to the BG1EE game. The reason for the failed install is that this is a BG1EE game, which probably doesn't contain the same resource that the SCS finds in BG2 for the %bless%.spl, which is inter---ed from the games resources. And the v31 SCS is probably only checked and coded for and from the latest patches of the games versions.

Now, it you actually want to do a whole run through, you could do a EET game.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola