BG II GemRB - lagging [WORKAROUND use Cheat Engine Speedhack post #17]

zelazko

I found the workaround for lagging issue with GemRB on BGII.

1) Download the cheat engine https://www.cheatengine.org/

2) Run GemRB.exe then run your Cheat Engine.exe

3) Click on "Select a process to open" in upper left corner - it's a computer icon should be flashing green/brown/red colors for you

4) Pick gemrb.exe from the list

5) Tick/select the box next to "Enable Speedhack"

6) It will depend on your lag for me selecting between 1.75 to 2.5 value for speedhack function worked the best. If the value gives you still lag or game runs too quick you can always change it midgame while you're playing (TAB + ALT to leave BG2 full screen)

The animations are way more smoother still little jerky but vastly playable compared to unplayable lag. Finally I can enjoy 10 person party mod. :)

Edited by zelazko

This just speeds up the game, it doesn't fix the LAG. It would actually make it worse if there was lag. As it would demand more from already strained workhorse.

Now, if you go back and want to actually fix the issue of lag, you should also perhaps actually say what FPS you set in the actual game to run at, cause I can't see you playing the game at 75 FPS. or 120 ...

Yes, for you to play the game at 30 FPS, you can either set the configuration of the game to be at 30 FPS(probably in gemrp.ini -file), or set the game to run there at 10 FPS, and use the Cheat Enginer to multipy it by say 3.

Don't know, about your case, but perhaps in your case it's better to use the cheat engine, as it's likely that it can utilize the computer you have better than the not-cheat engined one. The reason is, that as the game is probably still ran on one processor, not multiple ... the cheat engine can utilize the power of the others.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

This just speeds up the game, it doesn't fix the LAG. It would actually make it worse if there was lag. As it would demand more from already strained workhorse.

Now, if you go back and want to actually fix the issue of lag, you should also perhaps actually say what FPS you set in the actual game to run at, cause I can't see you playing the game at 75 FPS. or 120 ...

Yes, for you to play the game at 30 FPS, you can either set the configuration of the game to be at 30 FPS(probably in gemrp.ini -file), or set the game to run there at 10 FPS, and use the Cheat Enginer to multipy it by say 3.

Don't know, about your case, but perhaps in your case it's better to use the cheat engine, as it's likely that it can utilize the computer you have better than the not-cheat engined one. The reason is, that as the game is probably still ran on one processor, not multiple ... the cheat engine can utilize the power of the others.

You can't change FPS in GemRB it is hardocded like lynx said before.

Finally I can enjoy 10 person party mod. :)

AFAIR, you can have 10 party members but the game scripts are checking only 6, also no mod support 6+ Party Members.

I wouldn't be that sure about it. GemRB engine supports more than 6 objects and you can always ctrl+E your party to flesh out things like banters from time to time.

Edited by zelazko

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29684&page=2&do=findComment&comment=263526

Maybe my game lagging on GemRB is the known issue with actor speed I think.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28172&do=findComment&comment=246276

Is there way to implement what khelban said? How would I go about it?

Would it be possible to set those values in GemRB.cfg or gem-baldur.ini?

rwpl7Gd.jpg

Edited by zelazko

Maybe my game lagging on GemRB is the known issue with actor speed I think.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28172&do=findComment&comment=246276

Is there way to implement what khelban said? How would I go about it?

I do not know gemrb's code like Lynx so i can't tell for sure but i don't think this has to do with your lag. The test i did with extspeed.2da had nothing to do with lag. gemrb uses the picture frame count as walking speed so some monsters (especially when infinity animations were used) were more fast or more slow than they should.

I have a similar setup to yours (no sos, ctb, rot, planarsphere, npc mods, revisedbattles, kit mods, etc but i use all the major mods you use) and do not have your lag. I don't know if that makes a difference but my last mod is lolfixer that supposedly fixes many things.

My setup is on linux and my gemrb version is commit 6f1b497a5a0bda41319a7baaa88a92d881393742 (2018-05-23) so a bit older than latest git.

Err, well that would be something completely else, just like khelban12 said. You described lag as everyone understands it, so this doesn't fit. I just blame windows.

The speed adjustments in that config are also just for low end machines and most of these degradations have not been reimplemented in gemrb.

But yes, walking speed externalisation is a live todo item, but of course it requires programming and I believe you don't have a development setup.

https://youtu.be/Kw12zt8HTpc?t=125

(Sarevko vs. Gorion sequence - slower speed of PC actor in comparison to armor free Gorion is intended by Full Plate And Packing Steel mod)

I recorded mine short playthrough with GemRB so you guys can see for yourself if this is lag or how the engine suppose to run. I also installed lolfixer as khelban recommended.

https://youtu.be/Kw12zt8HTpc?t=95

Few bugs with weapon proficiency description and missing armor/crossbow/quaterstaff descriptions no big deal I can live with those bugs as I know weapon/armor stats almost by heart. I checked and in vanilla non GemRB game those missing and description bugs are not present.

https://youtu.be/Kw12zt8HTpc?t=413

Fight with Hobgoblins and kobolds.

///Edit: I checked my mod setup and vanilla BGII on another PC with Windows 8.1 still the lag is same. So the GemRB with BG II lags on win7, win8.1 and win10.

Edited by zelazko

That's not lag... latency in the response of the video games to the player's actions, if you compare this videos 0:50 and then 1:15 and onwords, that's what we call lag... your characters walking speed is horrible, but that's not an in engine issue, your mod config make it more horrible.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

That's not lag... latency in the response of the video games to the player's actions, if you compare this videos 0:50 and then 1:15 and onwords, that's what we call lag... your characters walking speed is horrible, but that's not an in engine issue, your mod config make it more horrible.

No. I get the same speed with vanilla game with no mods. Mods are not to blame here. Even when I crank up the actors' speed with Cheat Engine hackspeed function you still get the (script) lag - delayed dialogue, music hanging in too long etc.

Edited by zelazko

No.

Hmm?!? As in, you confirm my conclusion, or do you deny it!

Even when I crank up the actors' speed with Cheat Engine hackspeed function you still get the (script) lag - delayed dialogue, music hanging in too long etc.

But see, that's not what we call LAG !!! Nobody said the GemRB was perfect... did they ? It's playable, and it mostly works.

If you had sevear lag issues, your mouse movement would be what's called radical, aka look at the linked videos 1:15 onwards mouse pointer movement. Your mouse moves like it supposed to move. Every other thing might be delayed, but it's not a Frames per second thing. So you can't fix it with the Cheat Engines FPS hack.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

the missing descriptions are a mod problem. My guess would be you installed an EE-only or a badly ported mod, but that's just speculation.

I found out what mod was causing it. Specifically it was one component from Throne of Bhaal Refinements called New HLAs Tables for all classes it could be possible that one of the class kits I use is not friendly with Throne of Bhaal Refinements when run on GemRB together.

I listed all my class kits installed for future reference (just for sake of documentation).

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #11 // Install new spells -> Only add spells if not present from other mods: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #100 // Cleric Remix: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #103 // Install Silverstar of Selune Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #106 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #107 // Install Holy Strategist of the Red Knight Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #109 // Install Battleguard of Tempus Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #112 // Install Painbearer of Ilmater Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #115 // Install Firewalker of Kossuth Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #118 // Install Authlim of Iyachtu Xvim Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #121 // Install Lorekeeper of Oghma Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #124 // Install Heartwarder of Sune Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #127 // Install Feywarden of Corellon Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #130 // Install Strifeleader of Cyric Cleric Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #403 // Install Bowslinger Ranger Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #406 // Install Feralan Ranger Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #409 // Install Forest Runner Ranger Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #412 // Install Justifier Ranger Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #415 // Install Wilderness Runner Ranger Kit: v8

~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #610 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Kit for Viconia: v8

~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tower Of Deception Mod (Requires Throne Of Bhaal)

~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #2 // Encounter with Ustrain

~VICONIAREVAMPED/SETUP-VICONIAREVAMPED.TP2~ #0 #70 // Apply drow penalty: Day Blindness: v6.1

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #0 // Proper dual-wielding implementation for Thieves and Bards: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #1 // Thief kit revisions: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #3 // Proper racial adjustments for thieving skills: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #4 // Bard kit revisions: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #6 // Proper spell progression for Bards: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #7 // Additional equipment for Thieves and Bards: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #8 // Upgradeable Equipment: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #10 // Revised Thievery -> Retain default thievery potions and prevent their effects from stacking: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #11 // Chosen of Cyric encounter: v4.92

~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ #0 #999 // BG2-style icons for RR content: v4.92

~SARERESTORE/SETUP-SARERESTORE.TP2~ #1 #0 // Sarevok Recovery Mod: v1.1

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #1 // Dreadnought

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #2 // Blackguard

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #3 // Ssaulabi

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #6 // Champion

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #7 // Mystic Fire

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #8 // Duelist

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #9 // Tempest

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #10 // Trickster

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #11 // Shadowdancer

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #12 // Red Dragon Disciple

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #13 // Blue Dragon Disciple

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #14 // Green Dragon Disciple

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #15 // White Dragon Disciple

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #16 // Elementalist

~SETUP-PPK.TP2~ #1 #17 // Shadowdruid

~KITPACK6/SETUP-KITPACK6.TP2~ #0 #1 // Shieldbearer kit

~KITPACK6/SETUP-KITPACK6.TP2~ #0 #2 // Sniper kit

~KITPACK6/SETUP-KITPACK6.TP2~ #0 #3 // Bowman kit

~KITPACK6/SETUP-KITPACK6.TP2~ #0 #5 // Mystic Marksman kit

~KITPACK6/SETUP-KITPACK6.TP2~ #0 #6 // Huntsman of Silvanus kit

~KITPACK6/SETUP-KITPACK6.TP2~ #0 #7 // Spellshafter kit

~KITPACK6/SETUP-KITPACK6.TP2~ #0 #8 // Martyr kit

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Charming Rogue Kit, available for all Thieves: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Firewalker Kit, available for all Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #4 // Moon Knight Kit, available for all Paladins: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Pit Fighter Kit, available for all Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #6 // Priest of Sylvanus Kit, available for all Druids: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #7 // Bladesinger Kit, available for Human, Elf and Half-Elf Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #8 // Delver Kit, available for all Thieves: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #9 // "Vagrant" Kit, available for all Rangers: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Anti-Paladin, available for all Paladins: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #11 // Dark Paladin, available for all Paladins: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #12 // Cleric of Ilmater, available for all Clerics: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #13 // Amazon Kit, available for Half-Elf Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #14 // Dark Knight Kit, available for Human Paladins: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #15 // Saurial Kit, available for Human Paladins: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #16 // Vampire Hunter Kit, available for all Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #17 // Blademaster Kit, available for Human, Half-Elf and Elf Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #18 // Mage Hunter Kit, available for all Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #19 // Ravager Kit, available for Gnome Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #20 // Rhythm Warrior Kit, available for Half-Elf, Elf and Halfling Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #21 // Tactician Kit, available for Gnome and Halfling Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #22 // Sellsword Kit, available for Human and Half-Orc Fighter: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #23 // Apprentice Kit, available for Human and Half-Elf Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #24 // Dragonclaw Kit, available for Human and Half-Elf Fighters: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #25 // Drow Ranger Kit, available for Elf Rangers: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #26 // Ninja Kit, available for Thieves of all races: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #27 // Samurai Kit, available for Human Rangers: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #28 // Divine Wizard kit, Human Cleric Kit: v1.01L

~MEGAMODKITS/MEGAMODKITS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Dragon Dancer, available for Elf Fighters: v1.01L

~RETALIATORKIT/SETUP-RETALIATORKIT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Retaliator Kit

~JKITS/SETUP-JKITS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kenshei: v7

~JKITS/SETUP-JKITS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Undead Eliminator: v7

~JKITS/SETUP-JKITS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Amazon: v7

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Mystic Pyromaniac

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Silver Mirror

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #2 // White Raven

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Aquarius

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Stray Dog Kit

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Witch's Bastard Kit

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wind Apprentice

~IK/SETUP-IK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Priest of Eight Million Gods

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Investigator: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #3 // Halfling Thrower: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Samurai: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Giant Slayer: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #7 // Dark Knight: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #9 // Messiah: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Arcane: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #11 // Elementalist: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Time Keeper: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #13 // Dark Ranger: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Enticer: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #15 // Priest of Cyric: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #16 // Priest of Mask: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #17 // Priest of Mystra: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #19 // Dark Druid: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #20 // Warden of the Water: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #21 // Warden of the Fire: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #22 // Warden of the Wind: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #23 // Treasure Hunter: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #24 // Scoundrel: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #25 // Gentleman: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #26 // Ninja: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #27 // Golem Trainer: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #28 // Juggler: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #29 // Minstrel: v1.3

~KITRTT.TP2~ #0 #30 // Items and Spells (you can't skip this component): v1.3

~HARPSCOUT/SETUP-HARPSCOUT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Harper scout kit for thief

~HARPSCOUT/SETUP-HARPSCOUT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Harper scout kit for bard

~HARPSCOUT/SETUP-HARPSCOUT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Additional Harpers items

~HEARTWARDERKIT/SETUP-HEARTWARDERKIT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Heartwarder Kit

~WEREWARRIOR/SETUP-WEREWARRIOR.TP2~ #0 #0 // "Werewarrior" fighter kit: v0.31

~WEREWARRIOR/SETUP-WEREWARRIOR.TP2~ #0 #2 // Claw proficiency type -> Claws are considered daggers: v0.31

~SWORD_AND_FIST/SETUP-SWORD_AND_FIST.TP2~ #0 #30 // Install Hexblade fighter kit: v9

~SWORD_AND_FIST/SETUP-SWORD_AND_FIST.TP2~ #0 #31 // Install Duelist fighter kit: v9

~SWORD_AND_FIST/SETUP-SWORD_AND_FIST.TP2~ #0 #32 // Install Fist of Order fighter kit: v9

~SWORD_AND_FIST/SETUP-SWORD_AND_FIST.TP2~ #0 #33 // Install Blackguard fighter kit: v9

~SWORD_AND_FIST/SETUP-SWORD_AND_FIST.TP2~ #0 #34 // Install Duskblade fighter kit (by ronin69hof, ronin69hof@gmail.com: v9

~LYRICSETUP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Lyric Bard Kit for BGII

~SETUP-CONDUCTOR.TP2~ #0 #0 // Conductor Kit (Bard)