The new Fixpack thread for Compatibility, Bug Reporting, Changing/Removing Fixes

Hi,

Since last weekend I try to re-install and play BG2 SoA (4 CD european version).

For some reasons, the game ALWAYS crashes before the end of the introduction cinematic just before Imoen's entrance with BG2Fixpack and NEVER without it. When the game crashes I receive a popup with this text.

An Assertion failed in ChVidImage.cpp at line number 1849
Programme says : .BAM is corrupted (GetFrame() failed)

I've checked Bioware support for "Assertion failed" errors and this one is not there.
I've tried to delete cache, temp and tempsave : exactly the same result at the same moment.

I installed the official Bioware patch and only core fixes of BG2Fixpack v13.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Correctifs principaux: v13

I'd really like to play WITH the fixpack but here I'm honnestly lost.

22 minutes ago, Nefisil said:

For some reasons, the game ALWAYS crashes before the end of the introduction cinematic just before Imoen's entrance with BG2Fixpack and NEVER without it. When the game crashes I receive a popup with this text.

This is somewhat likely to do with your video settings. Open the baldur.ini file from your game folder and copy paste the text to a post. As in, the game only works in 1024x768 of the unsupported resolutions, the larger fail out. You should use the Widescreen mod if you want larger resolutions.

Also, you really should install the ToB if you have it before you mod games these days.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

[Program Options]
Installing=0
Install Type=1
Path Search Nodes=400000
Maximum Frame Rate=30
Resolution=800
Full Screen=1
BitsPerPixel=16
SoftMirrorBlt=0
SoftBlt=0
SoftSrcKeyBlt=0
3D Acceleration=0
16Bit Textures=1
GLSetup Driver=-1
Translucent Shadows=0
Disable Brighten=0
Force 50 Percent Transparent=0
Volume Movie=100
Volume Music=100
Volume Voices=100
Volume Ambients=100
Volume SFX=100
Font Name=
Double Byte Character Support=0
Drop Capitals=1
Display Frequency=60
Tooltips=60
Sprite Mirror=0
Gamma Correction=0
Brightness Correction=0
Backwards Compatible 3d=0
SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0
SoftBltFast=0
Strref On=0
First Run=0
[Alias]
HD0:=D:\Jeux\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=D:\Jeux\BGII - SoA\CD1\;E:\CD1\
CD2:=D:\Jeux\BGII - SoA\CD1\;E:\CD2\
CD3:=D:\Jeux\BGII - SoA\CD1\;E:\CD3\
CD4:=D:\Jeux\BGII - SoA\CD1\;E:\CD4\
[Local]
Language=French (Standard)
Zip=
Country Code=
[Uninstall]
Uninst_dir=C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{5E30BDEB-9307-11D4-9AE0-006067325E47}
[Game Options]
Difficulty Level=3
Enhanced Path Finding=1
Use 3d Animations=1
Critical Hit Screen Shake=1
Low End Machine=0
Low End Machine 2=0
Duplicate Floating Text=0
Footsteps=1
Attack Sounds=1
Disable Casting Glows=0
Low Mem Sounds 1=0
Low Mem Sounds 2=0
Disable VEFVidCells=0
Mid Level Brighten=1
High Level Brighten=1
Tiles Precache Percent=100
Mouse Scroll Speed=36
GUI Feedback Level=5
Locator Feedback Level=3
Bored Timeout=3000
Always Dither=1
Subtitles=0
Keyboard Scroll Speed=36
Command Sounds Frequency=2
Selection Sounds Frequency=3
Effect Text Level=62
Infravision=0
Weather=1
Tutorial State=1
Auto Pause State=0
Auto Pause Center=1
Quick Item Mapping=1
Environmental Audio=1
Heal Party on Rest=0
Terrain Hugging=0
HP Over Head=0
Hotkeys On Tooltips=1
Area Effects Density=100
Current Loading Hint=8
[Config]
General=1
Graphics=1
Sound=1
CacheSize=150
[Movies]
BISLOGO=1
BWDRAGON=1
WOTC=1
INTRO15F=1

I don't have TOB. I intend to use widescreen to play. That means after managing to run BG2fixpack. But at the moment I use the native resolution (800x600).
I ran once BG2fxpack AND widescreen and it did exactly the same.

If it's a corrupted BAM, as the assertion error suggests, we can try to narrow it down by removing BAM files added by Fixpack.

The core component adds iscrl5a through iscrl5j.bam to fix some scroll images. It also copies in a new states and states2.bam for some portrait icon fixes. For ToB games it creates maslg2bw, maslg2s1, msolg2bw, and msolg2s1.bam from existing files to fix celestial weapons. Finally, it edits the tanar'ri (mtang2XX) and wyvern (mwyvg2X) bam series to fix some animation issues.

If it's anything, I suspect the tanar'ri/wyvern animation fixes, as the rest have been in the core fixes for years at this point.

edit: What I'm suggesting is to install Fixpack, then manually delete the files mentioned above from the override file and seeing if the crashing stops. If it does, then we can narrow it down to which specific files are at fault.

Edited by CamDawg

OK thank you. I'll try it as soon as possible. Probably on saturday. 

One info that may help with your suspicion : the game crashes at the moment when the screen should begin to shiver (when the rogue dies from the fireball).

That said I'm thinking I should try to disable the shivering of the screen...

19 hours ago, CamDawg said:

If it's a corrupted BAM, as the assertion error suggests, we can try to narrow it down by removing BAM files added by Fixpack.

The core component adds iscrl5a through iscrl5j.bam to fix some scroll images. It also copies in a new states and states2.bam for some portrait icon fixes. For ToB games it creates maslg2bw, maslg2s1, msolg2bw, and msolg2s1.bam from existing files to fix celestial weapons. Finally, it edits the tanar'ri (mtang2XX) and wyvern (mwyvg2X) bam series to fix some animation issues.

If it's anything, I suspect the tanar'ri/wyvern animation fixes, as the rest have been in the core fixes for years at this point.

I deleted the suspected BAM files : NOK
I also try with all BAM files from the fixpack deleted (iscrl5a to iscrl5q, mtang2xx, mwyvg21 to mwyvg24 and both states and states2) : NOK

I tried with the option "shivering screen" disabled : NOK

Another info : I tried with the non WeiDU baldurdash fixpack (BG2FixPack361) : OK

On 3/14/2019 at 7:27 PM, Nefisil said:

I deleted the suspected BAM files : NOK

Where did you delete the files from ?

As in, they need to be installed and then deleted from the "override" folder. And start a new game ...

One last thing that I am suspecting is your 3D settings... they should really be on, rather than "off". As in, the:

3D Acceleration=0
16Bit Textures=1
GLSetup Driver=-1

Should be different. But set them with the BGConfig.exe ...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I deleted the files from the override folder.

I made many tests including with and without some of the graphics parameters. I'm 100% sure I tested with 32 bits colour without effect. As for 3D acceleration I can't remember. I'll do the test again this evening.

I'm really scratching my head here. Here's the section of game script that's running at your crash point:

ActionOverride("ishaddud",MoveToPoint([3758.2946]))
        ActionOverride("ishaddud",SmallWait(8))
        ActionOverride("ishaddud",Face(2))
        ActionOverride("ishaddud",SmallWait(8))
        ActionOverride("ishaddud",DisplayStringHead(Myself,54407))  // AHHHHHHHHHH!
        ActionOverride("ishaddud",PlaySound("TUTHH04"))
        ForceSpellPoint([3510.3100],FLASHY_4)  // SPIN794.SPL (No such index)
        PlaySound("EFF_M36B")
        SmallWait(7)
        CreateVisualEffect("SPFEARE2",[3413.3178])
        SmallWait(7)
        PlaySound("EFF_M18E")
        ForceSpell("ishaddud",WIZARD_DISINTEGRATE2_IGNORE_RESISTANCE)  // Assassin - Assassin
        MultiPlayerSync()
        CreateVisualEffectObject("ICFIRSDI","ishaddud")  // Assassin - Assassin
        PlaySound("EFF_M20")
        Wait(2)
        CreateVisualEffectObject("SPFIREPI","ishaddud")  // Assassin - Assassin
        PlaySound("EFF_M13")
        ScreenShake([30.30],20)
        Wait(1)
        PlaySound("EFF_P18")
        Wait(3)

So the thief (ishaddud) runs in, looks around, yells, then gets nuked with some spell and sound effects. It it is a graphical BAM problem, those spells and effects use: spin794.spl, spwi056.spl, spfeare2.vvc, spfearef.bam, icfiresdi.vvc, spfirsdi.bam, spfirepi.bam, and spfirepi.vvc. AFAICT Fixpack modifies none of these resources, nor their secondary resources.

3 hours ago, CamDawg said:

So the thief (ishaddud) runs in, looks around, yells, then gets nuked with some spell and sound effects.

The game crashes right after the thief's been burning but before yelling (AHHHHHHHHH !) and receiving the spell (fireball or something).

20 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

One last thing that I am suspecting is your 3D settings... they should really be on, rather than "off". As in, the:

3D Acceleration=0
16Bit Textures=1
GLSetup Driver=-1

Should be different. But set them with the BGConfig.exe ...

Done. Didn't change anything 😞

Guest Guest

@Nefisil

BG2 Fixpack Version 10 is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160715151532/http://gibberlings3.net:80/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=696

@CamDawg

I noticed a potential bug in BG2fixpack v13.

My characters (the PC and all party members) are failing their saving throws way too often. All my characters are lvl40 and equipped with the best equipment. And this happened twice already in two different playthroughs. I even had the game difficulty turned all the way down in both playthroughs.

Playthrough #1: Only the fixpack v13 (core fixes + all optional but cool fixes) and Unfinished Business v26 were installed. My main character somehow got instakilled by Mekrath. This almost never happened before. Playthrough #2: Only the fixpack v13 (core fixes + all optional but cool fixes) and Dace Linton NPC v5 are installed. Minsc just got instakilled by a bandit cleric or mage in the sewer. What is going on? These are lvl40 characters, their saving throws are all 1s or 0s or even below 0. I mean, I know that even high-level characters will sometimes fail their saving throws but this is happening way too often now. Did fixpack v13 somehow mess up the saving throws?