portraits

Guest Rebel396

Guest Rebel396

Hello all, I recently downloaded a bunch of portraits off the internet and would like to use them in BG2, but they must be the wrong format or something because none of them work. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong?

Guest Rebel396
Are you intending to use them as player portraits? If so, drop them in the "portraits" directory of your BG2 install and you should be able to use them.

Or is there a more specific problem? :)

Actually I did put them in my portraits folder but when I try to use them all I get is a blank head with a question mark on it. I wondered if maybe I am using the wrong format or something. Hope you can help me on this because I downloaded some really cool portraits and am anxious to try them. Thanks

Guest Rebel396
OK, the portraits should be in *.bmp format, and for the large portraits should be 110x170 pixels and for the small 38x60 pixels. Is that what you've got?

Yes I checked and the images are the size that you quoted and they are also in the bmp format, however when I try to use one of these portraits for my character when I am starting a new game I just get the blank head. I just cant seem to figure it out!?!?!?!? Is there something else I could be doing wrone? Thanks

It might be the colour depth -- the large portrait is supposed to be saved in 24-bit depth, and the small one in 8-bit depth. (That's been the most common cause of blank ? stares for me, I think.) You can check the format in the file's properties window.

The file names need to be xxxxxxxL.bmp & xxxxxxxS.bmp i.e. conform to DOS 8.3 naming convention with the last character being L for the larger and S for the smaller. The L & S (IMO) are case sensitive.

So while my example of xxxxxxx[LS].bmp are exactly 8.3 shorter names also work, rgeular expression rules would b (I think)

?[:):)][LS].bmp

:p

Added on edit (How tedious my six ?'s became :D:))

Guest Rebel396

:)

I would guess on the basis of that that the game can't read the portraits in some way... can you see them when you choose them from the custom portraits menu on character creation?

Thank you very much, now I have got my cool new portraits to chose from, you guys are great!!!!

Guest Rebel396

:)

I would guess on the basis of that that the game can't read the portraits in some way... can you see them when you choose them from the custom portraits menu on character creation?

Thank you very much, now I have got my cool new portraits to chose from, you guys are great!!!!

Guest rebelyells
It might be the colour depth -- the large portrait is supposed to be saved in 24-bit depth, and the small one in 8-bit depth.  (That's been the most common cause of blank ? stares for me, I think.)  You can check the format in the file's properties window.

Thanks alot, that really does the trick, all is working and I have my new portraits, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rebelyells
It might be the colour depth -- the large portrait is supposed to be saved in 24-bit depth, and the small one in 8-bit depth.  (That's been the most common cause of blank ? stares for me, I think.)  You can check the format in the file's properties window.

Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I can use my cool new portraits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The file names need to be xxxxxxxL.bmp & xxxxxxxS.bmp i.e. conform to DOS 8.3 naming convention with the last character being L for the larger and S for the smaller. The L & S (IMO) are case sensitive.

Actually, this is not true. You can name portraits for PCs anything you want at all, upper case, lower case, whatever, so long as it's 8 letters or less. (I'm assuming 8 letters, since that's true of all other filenames.) No "s" or "l" is required in the filename at all, though that makes them easier to sort in the portraits folder.

You'd need a graphics program (paintshop, photoshop, GIMP etc). You should be able to open the file and decrease the colour depth, then save it as another file or overwrite the old one. How you do this will depend on the program you have. If you can say what program you're using, someone who has it might be able to help further.

Archived