SCS v32 Release Candidate (now Version 10) Available for Testing

hi David,

I made an installation of SCS RC9  with several mods installed before. I have been able to install all components except smarter genies. Here my debug file :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k80k6ap9m6ef49/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG?dl=0

Can you tell me if the  smarter genies component also affect genies from spell revision and the genie from item. (there is one item witch allow to summon a genie)

WOW. I haven't played BG in over a year, and what an amazing update. 

Love the changes, particularly preventing 0 damage elemental attacks from causing cast interrupts, and re-fixing the druid insect spell / fireshield interaction. 

Thank you David! Shouldn't you have a patreon somewhere...?

I wanted to mention some things that felt fixable/improvable that I've noticed over a few hundred hours of no-reload SCS play. I'd feel a little remiss if I didn't. That said, I know this is a bit of looking a gift horse in the mouth, so I'd like to preface that these are just my observations and light suggestions - the update is already amazing! 

• Scripting
    • Better player prebuffing scripts. A setting that says "upon waking, anything that is 1 turn / level, I will cast on all my party members that do not already have the effect". Alternatively, whitelist a bunch of party prebuff spells, using the 1 turn / level filter as a guideline. A huge amount of player time is still lost to repetitive buff casting on rest/wake. The current system with hotkeys helps, but could be substantially streamlined and sped up. It would be really slick if party members automatically took care of all the CC / DW / etc. casting all at once in a few seconds on wakeup without the player having to do anything other than put them in the spellbook and turn this option on.
  • Gameplay
    • Remove potion effect stacking. Can this be removed by making all potions purge their effect before applying it? This seems like a good, non controversial change if the engine allows it
    • Prebuff non-casters, provided that their party includes appropriate casters. Has this not been done previously because the engine makes it too difficult / impossible? It would make a lot of fights a lot more interesting. It also makes in-game sense, considering it's what the player's party does. 
    • Remove unreasonable stealing from vendors. Stealing from fences should be disabled. I think this is a fairly non controversial change. If it's possible in the engine, a challenge option to eliminate the ability to rob a vendor blind would also be good. Something like stacking difficulty increases would be ideal, but I don't know what's possible. Alternatively, a challenge option to disable stealing on essentially all the "high quality vendors" would be a great option. Stealing could still be used to get minor items, but not to rob all of athkatla blind in an afternoon, which distorts the early to mid game combat balance.
    • Rechargeable items. Could there be an option for them not to recharge on sale/repurchase? i.e. maintain whatever charges they had on sale, or alternatively, destroy the item on sale? It would also make sense to change the recharge caps to something more sensible than 50/100 for players that don't turn off recharging. I think this change would better reflect the originally intended behavior from a gameplay/lore perspective. It would also improve the balance and challenge of a lot of fights that are currently distorted by infinite fireball / monster summoning / cloud kill charges.
    • Potion buff level. Can potion buffs have a cast level that reflects the level of the drinker? It's a little too easy for BG2 casters to bully fighters out of their potion buffs with remove magic. Alternatively, have an option that sets potion effect level to 40 or something, so that potion buffs are effectively not possible to dispel. I'm a little leery of this one, but it's worth thinking about to reduce the power disparity between arcane casters and everyone else. 
  • Buggy stuff
    • Fireshields trigger (or at least did trigger) off of any hostile combat action if the attacker is close enough to the fireshielded defender. This means fireshields triggers off of hostile spell casts, which seems wrong. Worse, it means they can trigger off of fireshield damage itself, creating an infinite loop until one of the characters in the loop dies. I don't know if the EE engine has updated in the interim such that this isn't an issue, but otherwise if it's possible to set fireshields to trigger on melee hits only, that would be an improvement
    • Wish breach had some wonkiness. My recollection is it would ignore all spell protections, including spell shield, which seemed a little rough. At the least, whatever it does (ignore spell defenses or not) should probably be intentional and it seems like its just a corner of the game that has been overlooked
    • Limited wish invulnerability (i.e. the quasi MGOI effect) also had some wonkiness, particularly if it was cast after PfAbj
    • True seeing curing blind didn't seem to work. At least, blinding enemy spellcasters still seemed to be unreasonably effective (maybe their script doesn't realize they can see again?)
    • Do all enemy vorpal weapons consistently allow a save vs. death + not chunk on failure? Does death ward consistently protect from all sources of vorpal? Is planetar on-hit dispel applied after the game checks for vorpal? I was always super paranoid that something would be missed across the various balor / celestial variants and kill a no-reload run...
  • Other
    • I'd probably just remove mislead and project image from the game, as essentially their only purpose is ugly player exploits, but arguably that's SR territory, and moreover I'm sure THAT would be controversial... (So this last one isn't really a suggestion I suppose, more of a pet peeve)

I should probably figure out how to fix some of these myself, but in lieu of that I'll at least list them here, in case you think any of them is valuable enough to be worth working on yourself (or someone else does). Particularly the player prebuff scripting I think would be appreciated by a lot of players. 

Either way, thanks again!

I made a clean install of the latest BG1EE with SOD on steam and installed stratagems 32 candidate 9 on top. 

I get the following result during install by opting to install practically everything. 

EDIT: I did not run modmerge, so feel free to ignore this for now! I will leave it here nevertheless for context due to new posts referencing this.

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Include divine spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Replace +1 arrows with nonmagical "fine" ones

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Replace many +1 magical weapons with Fine ones -> Fine weapons are affected by the iron crisis

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Reduce the number of Arrows of Dispelling in stores -> Stores sell a maximum of 5 Arrows of Dispelling

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Wider selection of random scrolls

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at 1.5 x their level (not twice their level)

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Increase the power of Cure Wounds and Cause Wounds spells to the level found in 3rd Edition D&D -> Spells heal or inflict a random amount of damage (1d8 per level of the spell, plus 1 point per caster level, to a maximum of 5 points per spell level)

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Restoration and Lesser Restoration spells heal ability-score damage

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Faster Bears

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      More realistic wolves and wild dogs

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved shapeshifting

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 1/2 the normal rate

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved NPC customisation and management

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Make spell sequencers and contingencies into innate abilities

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Ease-of-use party AI

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Smarter general AI

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Better calls for help

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Smarter Mages

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Smarter Priests

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Potions for NPCs

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved Spiders

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Smarter sirines and dryads

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Slightly harder carrion crawlers

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Smarter basilisks

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved doppelgangers

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Improved deployment for parties of assassins

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Dark Side-based kobold upgrade

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Relocated bounty hunters

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Ulcaster

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Improved Balduran's Isle

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved Durlag's Tower

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved Demon Cultists

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Cloakwood Druids

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Bassilus

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Improved Drasus party

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Improved Red Wizards

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Undercity party

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Tougher chapter-two end battle

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Tougher chapter-three end battle

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Tougher chapter-four end battle

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Tougher chapter-five end battle

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved final battle

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved minor encounters

Press ENTER to exit.

I have attached my log and debug output which highlights the errors that stopped the various modules from installing. Alot of "file not found" and  no translation provided.

WeiDU.log

SETUP-STRATAGEMS.rar 

sfo_warnings.txt

Edited by steinar96
23 hours ago, DrAzTiK said:

I have been able to install all components except smarter genies.

Same for me, the Debug-file says:

SCS install error: the SSL file dvefreetr.ssl cannot be found at stratagems/genie/genie/ssl

And indeed, the file mentioned is not there 🙂 (nor the folder exists....)

Btw, is there a possiblity to install all components of "Smarter something" and "Improved something" at once?

I installed on a clean BG EE:SoD on the weekend, and I I had different results (just showing what was different):

I did not install the following components by choice:

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Replace +1 arrows with nonmagical "fine" ones

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Replace many +1 magical weapons with Fine ones -> Fine weapons are affected by the iron crisis

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Reduce the number of Arrows of Dispelling in stores -> Stores sell a maximum of 5 Arrows of Dispelling

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Increase the power of Cure Wounds and Cause Wounds spells to the level found in 3rd Edition D&D -> Spells heal or inflict a random amount of damage (1d8 per level of the spell, plus 1 point per caster level, to a maximum of 5 points per spell level)

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Decrease the rate at which reputation improves -> Reputation increases at about 1/2 the normal rate

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Dark Side-based kobold upgrade

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved Demon Cultists

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Cloakwood Druids

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Bassilus

Those all worked for me (without warnings):

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved shapeshifting

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved NPC customisation and management

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Make spell sequencers and contingencies into innate abilities

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Smarter Mages

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Smarter Priests

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved Spiders

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved doppelgangers

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Relocated bounty hunters

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Ulcaster

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved Durlag's Tower

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved Undercity party

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Tougher chapter-two end battle

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Improved final battle

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Improved minor encounters

If it was a clean install, did you remember to run modmerge?

On 2/25/2019 at 10:19 PM, Lianos said:

SCS install error: the SSL file dvefreetr.ssl cannot be found at stratagems/genie/genie/ssl

It's linked to Spell Revisions. I'm using Spell Revisions Revised, but as far as I can see it will also happen with the official Beta 16

Hi there, 

I have played through BG1EE and 2 using the previous versions of the SCS mod about a year ago and loved it. I had no idea that it was still currently being updated and newer versions have been released since then. I had downloaded the V32 last night and was tinkering using EE Keeper to see what had been added in via spells as I noticed now that you managed to get the IWD spells implemented in - I still have no idea how you managed to pull that one off - and I noticed what (may) be bugs with some spells? I have almost every mod selection ticked, the only ones I didnt were the ones which changed +1 items to Fine variants. But anyway, using a custom character I gave myself a bunch of spells to try out and some were really cool. But then I tried some of the summoning spells, in particular the level 9 spells Create Boneguard and Gate. 

Firstly for the Boneguard, once it summoned and attacks, the text which should show its name (Boneguard) doesnt, it shows instead "Invalid 104196". Not quite sure why that is.

The second being the Gate spell. I used the spell and once it had summoned it was already invisible as per the improved fiend mod, which is fine. However, as per the vanilla game and its description it should attack anyone who is not protected by Prot from Evil. It doesnt. It simply stays invisible and even if I use True Sight to try and bypass it i cant. The only time it will attempt to attack me is when other hostile creatures are nearby, it will then start using its skills and attacking anyone closest to it. Again, not quite sure why it does it, when it should rightfully go ballistic as soon as its spawned if you are not protected. This also applies when I summon other creatures around it, it will just stay invisible until a hostile creature appears before it does anything.

Kind regards,

20190228165411_1.jpg

20190228165442_1.jpg

20190228165512_1.jpg

7 hours ago, Moonboy187 said:

Hi ther..

Firstly for the Boneguard, once it summoned and attacks, the text which should show its name (Boneguard) doesnt, it shows instead "Invalid 104196". Not quite sure why that is.

Hey to yourself, did you do as you are instructed and used the 9th release candidate... or like you are NOT and used non-release version that's "to_be_worked_on" ?

The "invalid 104196"... etc refer to a dialog.tlk's text portion that has not been copied yet over, which .. indicated the later. 

Erik's picture: "Again, very minor but the description of the spell Mordekainen's Force Missiles has character issues for me..."

VhYRr79.jpg

Edited by Jarno Mikkola