SCS v32 Release Candidate (now Version 10) Available for Testing

4 hours ago, Guest Erik said:

Not sure if Bug of Feature Request, but Daveorn feels undertuned on Tactical Difficulty. This is with all the Improved Chapter Boss battle components installed.

His start up sequence is as follows:

Stoneskin (cast previously)

Prot Normal Missiles (cast previously)

Minor Sequencer: Web & Stinking Cloud

Stoneskin (cast previously)

Two things: first, stoneskin appears twice - is that intended? Secondly, he is completely missing Protection against Spells and buffs that make him hard to hit (Mirror Image, Blur, Shield, Spirit Armor, ....). Any weapon with an elemental attack is extremely effective against him, and he can basically be shut down with simple damage spells like Magic Missiles and Melf's Acid Arrow, since he is missing any protection. At the least I feel he should have Mirror Image & (Minor) Globe of Invulnerability as well. This would also be required to have some sort of synergy with the Dimension Gate behaviour - him jumping about, does not help him at all if you can just MM him to death.

Note: this is still with RC 9, but from the change log I do not think that this would have been changed.

The double stoneskin is definitely a bug, will chase.

As for the lack of magic protections: these get determined randomly, but almost certainly he does have those spells, it's just that you're playing on a difficulty level that won't autocast them for you (they have fairly short durations). There is an argument he ought to prioritise casting them over his teleport sequence, though; I'll consider it. (Most of my detailed testing is at a higher difficulty setting.)

Just updating to RC10 and was asked whether I want to install component test2. I said no. Hope this is the correct choice.

Yes. I forgot to comment out part of my testing environment. (I've updated the RC.)

OK, I need to roll back to RC9. I get an error on the Icewind Dale arcane spells component:

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [JWGLOBE.spl] not found in KEY file:
        [./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 1114 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 1500.
Uninstalled    1114 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 1500.
ERROR: Failure("resource [JWGLOBE.spl] not found for 'COPY'")

I might try to a completely clean installation later, but this was a backup of my pre-SCS RC9 Baldur Gate EE 2.5, on which RC9 installed cleanly.

That's the snowball swarm component fix; it should have checked if you had that resource present. I've updated RC10; if you try again, it should work.

@AnonymousHero:

- Planar Prison: as I've said in the earlier post, I'm not doing a systematic, this-catches-all-bugs, release here, just picking up on the most serious and/or easily fixed. If you check the changelog you'll see that the Planar Prison bug didn't make triage (for RC9 or RC10).

- Playing on 32-bit Windows: were you able to play on 32-bit windows anyway? I'd thought that the version of SSL I was shipping is 64-bit only (that's why I was relaxed about shifting to 64-bit WEIDU).

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

@AnonymousHero:

- Planar Prison: as I've said in the earlier post, I'm not doing a systematic, this-catches-all-bugs, release here, just picking up on the most serious and/or easily fixed. If you check the changelog you'll see that the Planar Prison bug didn't make triage (for RC9 or RC10).

Oh, I apologize. I think I saw the changes list on the forum mention it, but looking at the GH releases... those didn't.

- Playing on 32-bit Windows: were you able to play on 32-bit windows anyway? I'd thought that the version of SSL I was shipping is 64-bit only (that's why I was relaxed about shifting to 64-bit WEIDU).

Strawberry PERL FTW! You even (graciously, I might add) created a workaround specifically for this: use_perl_natively=1

(It's not that I actually expect you to support a system that's been EOL for 5 years. If it's easier for you, by all means go ahead and use 64-bit WeiDU... but if it's just a 'cosmetic' change, then I'd love to still be able to play.)

As to why I'm using WinXP: It's in a Virtual Machine with classic BG1+BG2, and Windows 10 seems to be... suboptimal for this use case (but I'm still experimenting!).

EDIT: Btw, the genie/efreet from the Trademeet bottle is still being really annoying by trying to turn itself invisible rather than doing what it's told (as in: serving it's caster). This was with v32-RC9. Could the scripting for this particular item summon just be removed?

Edited by AnonymousHero
1 hour ago, DavidW said:

Oh, that’s right. Ok, just download the 32-bit version and use that. (I swapped over because I suspect the 64-but version is more proof against out-of-memory errors.)

Ah, that's a good point. I think I actually experienced an OOM when my VM had ~768MiB -- I failed to report it, but I suppose you got other reports :)

Anyway, no worries about the 64-bit vs. 32-bit thing if it's just a matter of putting in another executable. Again: It's totally understandable to not support WinXP :)... I guess I'm just having to come to terms with having to upgrade or find another way to run this magnificent game :)

Edited by AnonymousHero
4 hours ago, DavidW said:

The double stoneskin is definitely a bug, will chase.

As for the lack of magic protections: these get determined randomly, but almost certainly he does have those spells, it's just that you're playing on a difficulty level that won't autocast them for you (they have fairly short durations). There is an argument he ought to prioritise casting them over his teleport sequence, though; I'll consider it. (Most of my detailed testing is at a higher difficulty setting.)

Maybe SCS with Improved End of Chapter Boss should always handle Davaeorn as created in sight. Given that he seems to expect the party, it makes sense that he should have a higher preparation level than other mages. This would definitely count more as a feature request, though. And I might have to increase the difficulty, but as the middle "Tactical" sounded like a good default for a test of the new version.

On installing: spells worked fine now, but I get an error with the main AI component:

smaller_bam is bg1_button_resized
Copying 1 file ...
ERROR: error loading [stratagems/caster_shared/resource/bg1_button_resized.bam]

ERROR Installing [Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 3529 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 5900.
Uninstalled    3529 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 5900.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "stratagems/caster_shared/resource/bg1_button_resized.bam")

Note: I am on Windows, so not sure why it says Unix.

19 hours ago, Guest Erik said:

Maybe SCS with Improved End of Chapter Boss should always handle Davaeorn as created in sight.

I'd rather not. The buffs being customizable is one of the best parts of the new SCS (if my memory serves, 'hardcore' is where the casters get all the buffs). I've used different settings in various playthroughs, but I prefer that only long duration buffs are considered the default. It just makes more sense to me in a roleplaying game.

1 hour ago, chimaera said:

I'd rather not. The buffs being customizable is one of the best parts of the new SCS (if my memory serves, 'hardcore' is where the casters get all the buffs). I've used different settings in various playthroughs, but I prefer that only long duration buffs are considered the default. It just makes more sense to me in a roleplaying game.

It's obviously a matter of taste, but their is already a differentiation with "created in sight" getting more buffs on Tactical difficulty.

And if I recall strictly the justification was that SCS assumes that casters created in sight are expecting the party and have buffed before, which seems to apply to Davaeorn as well. Currently, the two examples of "created in sight" that come to my mind in BG1 are Natasha on Cloakwood Mines Level 3 and Kahrk on the Firewine map. For both I think there is considerably less justification for considering them prepared and having more buffs than for Davaeorn.

Also, if you feel only long-duration buffs make sense, there is already the Improved pre--battle difficulty setting.

But I don't want to derail this thread, so I will leave it at that.

10 minutes ago, Guest Erik said:

It's obviously a matter of taste, but their is already a differentiation with "created in sight" getting more buffs on Tactical difficulty.

And if I recall strictly the justification was that SCS assumes that casters created in sight are expecting the party and have buffed before, which seems to apply to Davaeorn as well. Currently, the two examples of "created in sight" that come to my mind in BG1 are Natasha on Cloakwood Mines Level 3 and Kahrk on the Firewine map. For both I think there is considerably less justification for considering them prepared and having more buffs than for Davaeorn.

I don't recall anything in Daveorn's dialogue indicating that he expects to be ambushed right now, though; even his secretary/guard seems surprised whent he party arrives. Kahrk I don't recall, but I agree Natasha shouldn't have short time buffs on core.

Doing a playthrough of BG2EE with RC9 and on Legacy difficulty with all parts installed and I noticed that compared to previous versions, a lot of the wizards do not precast magic protections such Spell Immunity, Deflection etc. Someone mentioned before the fight with Gethras on a lower dificulty that it was a bit underwhelming and it was the same for me on Legacy. All it took was one true sight and breach and he simply couldnt do anything. The only enemy i have encountered so far who casts HLA was the Rakesha outside Firkragg entrance who cast Dragons Breath, but apart from that a lot of wizards seem to be pushovers.