SCS v32 Release Candidate (now Version 10) Available for Testing

Guest Maanape

Hello, I tried to install SCS v32 today with EET Install Tool and noticed it skipped two components: "Improved Shapeshifting" and "Improved NPC customisation and management". I looked at the debug log and came here to report the issue. It had the following messages, referring to the same error:

ERROR: illegal 22-byte write (AP_D5_DUAFCAP_D5_DUAFC) offset 0 of 11-byte file INNER_PATCH_SAVE "           "
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Improved NPC customisation and management], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 782 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 4100.
Uninstalled    782 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 4100.
ERROR: Failure("INNER_PATCH_SAVE \"           \": write out of bounds")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG and look for support at: For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.
Automatically Skipping [Improved NPC customisation and management] because of error.
Using Language [English]

(Apologies if these have already been reported. Btw, maybe it would be a good idea to use GitHub issues for tracking known issues? As someone who's not religiously following this thread it's really hard to know what's already been reported and/or fixed in master 😕)

I have observed a few very minor weird things in 32-RC10:

• The skeletons summoned by Animate Dead (arcane) in the EE version below level 15 don't seem to have the same scripting as the L15+ Skeleton Warriors. The different summons don't fundamentally have any different abilities, so I'd guess the same script should work for all the different summons? (I'm specifically referring to the 'follow player around bit'.)
  • The shadow version of the Umber Hulks summoned by Shades(?) seems to only do non-lethal damage? Not sure if intentional, but it certainly seems a bit odd.
  • The Planar Sphere Noble Efreeti starts casting Flame Arrows at itself as soon as I enter the level.

EDIT: To add: The L11 skeletons also have an annoying thing where if their target goes invisible they'll continually go 'Skeleton Warrior: Target gone'. (Usually your summons just 'say' this once, but the skeletons will keep saying it continually until the target reappears and/or a different target is forced. If there are no enemeis you can force-retarget the skeleton on, you cannot get rid of the Target Gone thing. Super-annoying when you have Auto-pause: Target Destroyed/Gone set.)

Edited by AnonymousHero

Just two little things about priest/spell_swaps.tph:

1. Magic Resistance is being swapped for Mass Cure for creatures with 40 > MR after Mass Cure is switched out for something else on Undead casters. If any there's any Undead casters with >40% MR, this will incorrectly assign them Mass Cure.
  2. This one is just a nitpick. The list of creatures with Wands of Heavens is arbitrary and doesn't even check whether the items are present (I believe the same happens with the Wand of Cold and Centeol, but I've not specifically checked that). Lack of Flamestrike is no joke for a meager BG1 Cleric, and the randomiser might happen to place one those wands on the hands different divine caster. Anyway, this is hardly convincing and finding out where the wands are would require going over all the items of all the creatures in the game and that takes a lot of time. Nevermind, all the creatures in that list seem to actually have the wand? IDK what's going on here but whatever, SCS's working perfectly fine and if there's an issue it's not here.
Edited by CrevsDaak

@DavidW

Are you aware of the fact that LastTargetedBy() is broken?

Let's consider DW#RANGE.bcs as an example: the following script block is probably useless:

Spoiler

IF
 See(LastTargetedBy(Myself))
 Global("validtarget","LOCALS",1)
 OR(2)
  !WeaponEffectiveVs(LastTargetedBy(Myself),MAINHAND)
  !WeaponCanDamage(LastTargetedBy(Myself),MAINHAND)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("validtarget","LOCALS",0)
  ClearActions(Myself)
END

@DavidW thank you for this awesome mod.

I wasn't able to find this issue posted anywhere in this epic thread, so I hope this is helpful. 

In SCSv32 on EET, "BUB.CRE" was installed corrupted and crashes on map transition to "Trade Way North". 

This is the NPC Bub Snikt, and is touched by a few other mods. I was able to track it down to the initial installation of SCSv32 (5900 - Initialise AI Components).  It was previously fine when written by CDTweaks (3020 - Identify all items).  My crash was solved by rolling the file back to this version.

Edited by Cumag
4 hours ago, Cumag said:

@DavidW thank you for this awesome mod.

I wasn't able to find this issue posted anywhere in this epic thread, so I hope this is helpful. 

In SCSv32 on EET, "BUB.CRE" was installed corrupted and crashes on map transition to "Trade Way North". 

This is the NPC Bub Snikt, and is touched by a few other mods. I was able to track it down to the initial installation of SCSv32 (5900 - Initialise AI Components).  It was previously fine when written by CDTweaks (3020 - Identify all items).  My crash was solved by rolling the file back to this version.

Can you post a zipped copy of the file? It's probably corrupted by one of the earlier mods (it works fine on a clean install of SCS).

44 minutes ago, southfla79 said:

Is there a console command to turn off NPC customization after install?

No. (It's much too complicated for that.) If you don't want it any more, uninstall it. But be careful doing so if there are unjoined NPCs in areas you've already been to, as they'll get messed up.

Sure thing! I may have misinterpreted the order of operations. It's possible that the corruption was caused by CDTweaks/Tweaks Anthology, which I believe was immediately prior in touching BUB.CRE.

This is the version from \BG2EE\weidu_external\backup\stratagems\5900\ which was subsequently copied by other mods and ended up in \BG2EE\override

I hope this is helpful.

SCSv32-5900-BUB.zip

OK: that file is entirely blank - its content has been completely deleted. Something (almost certainly not SCS, and probably not Tweaks) has corrupted it beyond recovery.

If you know how to do a weidu change-log, can you do one and give me the result?

Here you go!  Now I know how to do a changelog; thank you @AL|EN

I did a full clean install (new BGEE, BG2EE, and EET install) and could not reproduce the problem. It may be a ghost and if so I am sorry for the trouble.

Mods affecting BUB.CRE:

Spoiler

00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~EET/EET.TP2~ 0 0 // EET core (resource importation)1.0 RC12
00001:  ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ 0 3020 // Identify All ItemsInternal working version, unsupported
00002:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)v32 RC9
00003:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6010 // Better calls for helpv32 RC9
00004:  ~PPE/SETUP-PPE.TP2~ 0 0 // Portraits Portraits Everywhere (PPE) - core component1.01

This could be unrelated to the one-time glitch, but I have the same issues as Aasim and Krabator with "WIZARD_DIMENSION_JUMP" while installing Smarter Mages.

The problem is 100% reproducible on my system with the latest EE Mod Setup/BWS and the list of mods I'm using.  I used Krabator's workaround ("I have modified the spell.ids after closing the EET auto install tool and i have relaunch the install and it worked") and it seems to have been successful.

I just had an idea thanks to Al|en and ran a changelog on spell.ids.  Here are the results, in case this is of any help to you:

Mods affecting SPELL.IDS:

Spoiler

00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~EET/EET.TP2~ 0 0 // EET core (resource importation)1.0 RC12
00001:  ~WHEELS/SETUP-WHEELS.TP2~ 0 0 // The Wheels of Prophecyv8.2
00002:  ~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ 0 11 // Install new spellsOnly add spells if not present from other mods8.1
00003:  ~TOMEANDBLOOD/TOMEANDBLOOD.TP2~ 0 10 // Spell Tweaks: General Rebalancing0.8.32
00004:  ~TOMEANDBLOOD/TOMEANDBLOOD.TP2~ 0 11 // Spell Tweaks: Revised Illusionary Clones0.8.32
00005:  ~IHATEUNDEAD/IHATEUNDEAD.TP2~ 0 7 // Circle Enforcer (Druid Kit)3.2
00006:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6200 // Improved Spidersv32 RC9
00007:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6500 // Improved golemsv32 RC9
00008:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6510 // Improved fiends and celestialsv32 RC9
00009:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6550 // Smarter beholdersv32 RC9
00010:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6560 // Smarter mind flayersv32 RC9
00011:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6580 // Improved Vampiresv32 RC9
00012:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 1500 // Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Editionv32 RC9
00013:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 1510 // Include divine spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Editionv32 RC9
00014:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 8160 // Improved Fire Giant templev32 RC9

Ok! I hope this is helpful and I'm grateful for your effort on behalf of the community.

I'm now in the last stages of preparing v32 (no ETA, don't ask, but soon) and I'm past the point of being able to incorporate any new fixes, so I'll close this thread. Many many thanks to everyone who's posted here.

Below is my final log for changes since RC10 came out. I think this covers most of the bugs reported on this thread, though inevitably I may have missed a few. (The DIMENSION_JUMP problem is probably fixed, but I need to test on EET to be sure, so it's not listed.)

Fixes:

Increased hp for dragons/fiends now works properly 
Illithids can now see invisible at higher difficulties
Lots of problems with Ascension sorted out
Ascension Fallen Solars no longer have demon flunkies
Fire Shield is no longer blocked by Mirror Image (vanilla game fix)
Fixed some glitches with demon-summoning under the influence of Grimoires of Demon Binding
Party summons no longer overreact to friendly fire
Party-friendly fiends are now selectable  
Mages now precast Spirit Armor
Summoned fiends behave themselves
Elder orbs are properly responsive to the difficulty slider
Enemy mages using Acid Sheath regain the green animation (SR compatibility issue)
Balors no longer drop flails
Traps in the Planar Prison don't affect thralls (for real now)
A non-party-member Cernd now fights effectively against Faldorn
Suffocate should no longer end up used against allies
The Challenge version of Bodhi should now use her abilities properly
Liches once again handle Pro/Undead scrolls intelligently (this got broken in the move to v32)
Irenicus in Hell reliably gets a CC
Smarter Priests should now install on EasyTutu
Enemies now run out of Cloudkill (previously it was being skipped by the detect-cloud algorithm)
Genies, illithids and fiends now move out of clouds (when appropriate)
Noble efreeti have received counselling, and no longer self-harm with Flame Arrows when alone
Solars no longer teleport to inaccessible points
Bodhi and her vampires avoid using (possibly-gamebreaking) spells during the quasi-cutscene fight in the Asylum 
Djinni no longer display an 'invisibility' spell from offscreen
We should now avoid wasting spells on creatures in the process of being mazed
'Improved vampires' no longer blocks Tanova's spells
Fixed a bug that was causing cries for help to propagate too far
Hopefully druids in the grove should no longer end up summoning party-friendly creatures
Insect Plague subcomponent now affects Black Dragon insect swarm
Fixed some bugs imported from IWDEE in Vitriolic Sphere (damage wasn't decreasing with time; primary target was also taking splash damage; primary target's MR was blocking splash damage to secondary targets)
Fixed a bug with Seven Eyes imported from IWDEE: it no longer blocks the backlash damage from the Enrage ability
Expeditious Retreat displays the right icon
'Create meteors' toggle in Ease-of-Use AI now works properly
Customising a level-zero NPC no longer generates an ugly gray cloud
Enemies will now run out of Writhing Fog when appropriate
Ease-of-use AI no longer gets jammed when party members are invisible
Ease-of-use hotkey K no longer disables all attacks (party members once again attack nearby opponents)
Mysterious + signs no longer appear on the character sheet
The spell effects used to see that a character is immune to certain spells no longer grant a spurious saving throw
Player summoned nymphs shouldn't cancel player instructions any more
Undead don't drink potions
A very small number of thieves (notably the skeletal assassin) use scrolls, rather than potions, of invisibility
In the (edge) case where you fight Shandalar, he uses his spells normally (he is pretty high level, so I don't recommend it!)
Davaeorn no longer prebuffs twice
Liia Jannath ought now to use her spells during the battle at the Duchal Palace
Tazok no longer drinks potions before the final BG1 fight starts
Corrected various problems with Detectable Spells which inter alia were messing with basilisk scripting
Killing the hamadryad in the Cloakwood no longer crashes the game
Shamans can now use kobold poisoned arrows
Worked around some problems with the LastTargetedBy() command
Fixed some glitches with the bandit camp
Elites at the bandit camp now get dialog
Breaking the Demon Knight's mirror should now work correctly on Hardcore/Insane difficulty
The Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower gets standard fiend bonuses at harder difficulties
Thorn Spray modification now works properly
Innately cast wizard/priest HLAs are now preserved on export/import 
Innately cast wizard/priest HLAs now respect the rules on prerequisites and mutually-incompatible HLAs
A few spells weren't always being used if learned
Corrected some mismatches between components' names as used in the installer and as seen in the readme
The Cowled Wizards no longer treat Impervious Sanctity of Mind as a wizard spell
On SR, Acid Sheath is properly being precast
On SR, Acid Sheath and Prismatic Mantle are now properly hidden by Invisibility
Fixed a bug in SR that can cause enemy-summoned Death Knights to be attacked by their allies
Fixed a bug in SR that prevented Holy Smite causing blindness
Taken steps to prevent odd cases of creatures resting in combat when they momentarily lose sight of the party
Earth Elemental token correctly gives 50% DR, not 100%
Fire Elemental token's extra fire damage is now working
General pass through Bodhi's abilities, correcting a number of minor issues
Blocked an edge case that could lead to undead with high MR getting Mass Cure (undead aren't supposed to get healing spells)
Various IWD-summoned creatures no longer fight bare-handed
Fixed a baseline-EE bug that caused certain weapons that do poison damage to have all their effects (not just poison) blocked by poison resistance
Fixed a baseline-EE bug with the summoned-monster script that caused them to stutter if their target went invisible
Caught some missing summons who Smarter AI wasn't giving a script to

Content changes

New component: rebalanced troll regeneration
Revamp of the dialogue and backdrop to 'Improved Abazigal's Enclave'.
The Ascension version of Bodhi now has a separate component to check if you want 'Improved Bodhi' to affect her.
Mind flayers no longer try to devour the brains of amorphous or skeletal creatures
Enemies using the Enrage ability no longer display the immersion-breaking 'when the effect wears off...' string
Rogues no longer use Assassination while invisible
Ilyich is no longer a Berserker (he had an incompatible weapon choice)
Innate spell triggers (etc.) now appear on the Innate bar
Tweaked the insect-plague subcomponent: insects now count as nonmagical summoned creatures, for better or worse (can penetrate antimagic; cannot harm creatures immune to nonmagical weapons; are slain by Death Spell.)
Externalised hotkey values to stratagems.ini
Tweaked the ease-of-use AI (EE version) so group buffing is less profligate and more controllable.
If you use the NPC management component to change an NPC's class to or from Ranger, two-weapon proficiency is now handled correctly.
The UI edits for the difficulty button now allow for the possibility that the Autopause, Feedback and Key Bindings buttons are not in the canonical order (among other things, this makes us compatible with the Dragonspear++ UI).
Systematised melee in time stop: it should now happen only on Insane difficulty. (There are console overrides.)
Slightly more care taken to deal with offensive use of Protection from Magic scrolls
Davaeorn now counts as 'created in sight' given it's clear he has advance notice of the party's arrival
The Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower can no longer use Symbol of Death and Power Word: Kill
Tiny vanilla bug fixed: Clair Delain now gets the bow mentioned in her dialog (BGEE also tries to do this, but a typo means it doesn't work)
Druids are a bit less casual about hitting allies with their conal spells
'Smarter mages' and 'Smarter clerics' now affect spellcasting vampirised party members
On EE installs, wolves and dogs encountered as random between-area encounters are automatically impossible (this was already true on BGT and TUTU).
On SR, we make rather more use of Dispelling Screen and Non-Detection (and adjust sequencers etc to allow for this)
IWD spells makes a bit more effort to avoid messing with other mods' versions of the spells

Can't reproduce 

Illithids stand around for 3-4 seconds before getting in
Captain Erelon doesn't do anything when attacked (Myrag, 1/27)
Beholders in Sendai enclave don't attack (myrag, 3/25)
Ranged-attack dwarves in Improved Starting Dungeon, and probably elsewhere, seem to melee too much (Draztik, 1/29)
When Abazigal shifts from his human form to his dragon form, if the PC is next to him, then he can get stuck inside of Abazigal, and be unable to move. (Guest ktgrey, 2/5; see also ktgey 2/8)
Vampires are drinking blood on too-low a difficulty?
Hive mother ray doesn't penetrate antimagic (david76321, 3/22)
Rayic Gethras pauses a long time before getting in, has a sequencer with only MMM in
Using True Sight when no-one is improved-invisible (Draztik, 3/26)
Possible stack bugs with 'items in spellhold' (SCS_is_great, 4/17)
Formatting glitches with Force Missiles description (Erik, 2/28)
Archers don't get their +1 hit/damage at L12 (SemiticGod, 4/29, Beamdog) 
Imoen doesn't get thief button with NPC management in BG2 (guest rainspren, 2/10)
Breach penetrates spell deflection/spell trap (Draztik, 3/11)
SR: Spirit armor doesn't show up in the text box when precast (Draztik, 3/13)