Some Concerns About V4

Sure - you would just download it and overwrite it on top of the normal SR installer, like it says, and then install it as per normal (however that is - I'm not sure how Macs handle it, but if you've ever installed SR before, it's the same exact way with SRR). I think Luke has had trouble overwriting the folder before, though (the default behavior on Macs is to delete the entire original folder, rather than just overwrite files with the same name, maybe?), so let me know if you run into trouble with that.

Complete folder without needing to download both SR and SRR that I'll temporarily leave up (I kind of have to do this awkward setup because I'm only supposed to distribute the files I personally modify, and it makes it so that it can't be redistributed by itself): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ecc53056d28py9t/SR Revised.zip

Edited by Bartimaeus

I extracted the contents of both SR and SRR into the game folder, reinstalled SR, and tried to install SRR.  However, I only got a reinstallation of SR, from what I can tell, because it didn't inform me that anything new was being installed.  Maybe I don't understand steps 4 and 5?  Sorry.  I'm not good with technology.

Success!  Thanks guys.

I would like to report a minor bug with the Revised Version though.  I have to click twice on a lot of things to get them to happen, and it's not the result of a conflict with other mods, because this is the only mod I have installed.  Still, definitely worth it.  Thanks again :).

6 hours ago, noah.linden1 said:

Success!  Thanks guys.

I would like to report a minor bug with the Revised Version though.  I have to click twice on a lot of things to get them to happen, and it's not the result of a conflict with other mods, because this is the only mod I have installed.  Still, definitely worth it.  Thanks again :).

Click twice? Like...inside the installer? Sadly, I've never used the OSX installer and have no idea what it's like (and no ability to do so), so I really don't know what you're experiencing, I guess. If you don't mean inside the installer, then I think I'd need an example of what you mean.

Also, thanks Mike for explaining. Although...is there any particular reason why we can't have both the .exe and the OSX files in the same archive?

Edited by Bartimaeus
1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Also, thanks Mike for explaining. Although...is there any particular reason why we can't have both the .exe and the OSX files in the same archive?

Well, you can have them... and delete the shit out of them ones you have 1300 mods installed in your game. But really, there's no point in having multiple of them when you can package them as separate archives as the point is today, in G3. Just look at the fixpack example:

70cbpi.jpg

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Although...is there any particular reason why we can't have both the .exe and the OSX files in the same archive?

No, it really isn't (Even if you wan't to have separate download statistic for Win, Mac, Linux, you can point to the same mod package). It's a leftover from the times when people were concern about archive sizes and download times. Lucky, the standard IEMod Package format is coming ...

16 minutes ago, AL|EN said:

No, it really isn't (Even if you wan't to have separate download statistic for Win, Mac, Linux, you can point to the same mod package). It's a leftover from the times when people were concern about archive sizes and download times. Lucky, the standard IEMod Package format is coming ...

Yeah, let's package the files into formats nobody can attach their files into anywhere else except our very own one forum that will never crash. And when it does, shit hits the fan.

Windows, Mac and Linux process files differently, and there is no overall one archive tool that they can all use BY DEFAULT.

Yes, this is also to save space... but the amount is minimal... just like it is when you archive file as a .rar compared to .zip, when it comes with attachment and compatibility problems.

And the DEFAULT is important there, as multiple of the other archive tools have this problem of trust. What am I talking about ? It's that the classic archive tools have this reputation of containing viruses in them. Yes, Mac's and Linux also have viruses, let alone Windows.

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The main reason for the separate packages is to have an easy-to-install-on-Windows package and an easy-to-install-on-Mac package.

The Windows self-extracting archive contains install instructions that may be helpful for new users.

The Mac archive is packaged specially so that the mod can be installed by double-clicking the .command file (instead of needing to use the terminal).

FWIW all of my mods have a single download package; Win users use the included Weidu .exe file, while Mac users use the included Weidu Launcher. Works just fine on both platforms.

There are a million ways to skin that cat, it makes no sense to promote one as superior/necessary, since a million mods that people want to use will never be packaged in that supposedly superior format. 

The main thing I hope modders don't do is make a mod only usable on a single platform... some mods still do this, wrapping the entire bundle into a single .exe (from PPG maybe?)... it's frackin infuriating, because not only can I not use the .exe, but I can't even get access to the mod files to use them with my platform's version of Weidu! 😡

A mod folder + a Weidu .exe is all anyone needs. Win users can install it immediately, Mac/Lin users can supply their own Weidu. Trying to gussy things up with fancy installer packages is just stupid IMHO.