FriendTalk 20: Power and Friendship

cmorgan

Converstational Inspiration: Is PC getting too powerful to be a friend?

[ARAN] You are more powerful than you realize.
[PC] I am starting to feel like a weapon.
[ARAN] Weapons are just tools to be used.
[PC] I agree. But right now, I have a feeling I am not completely in command of my destiny.
[ARAN] Tools are only as good as the wielder.
[PC] Then I had better learn how to wield myself effectively.
[ARAN] Damn straight. I don't want someone aiming you in my direction.

/* FT 20: Tools, Weapons, and Intention */
IF ~STATE_START_CONDITION~ THEN BEGIN c_wielder
  SAY ~[ARAN] You know, you be a bit more powerful than you seem to realize.~
  ++ ~[PC] I don't know. It feels like I am becoming a weapon.~ + c_person
  ++ ~[PC] I realize exactly how powerful a weapon I am becoming.~ + c_person
  ++ ~[PC] No, I am not.~ + c_notwhat  
  ++ ~[PC] What about you? You seem to have grown a bit since we first met in that inn room.~ + c_not_about_me
  ++ ~[PC] This is a bad time to have another one of your deep existential conversations.~ + delay_exit_state
END

IF ~~ c_notwhat
  SAY ~[ARAN] Not what? Not powerful, not realize?~
  ++ ~[PC] Not powerful.~ + c_not_powerful
  ++ ~[PC] I don't think I am any more or less powerful than when I started out.~ + c_not_powerful
  ++ ~[PC] I seem to have trouble realizing exactly how powerful I have become.~ c_not_realize
  ++ ~[PC] I don't know. I am still figuring out who I really am.~ + c_direction
  ++ ~[PC] This is a bad time to have another one of your deep existential conversations.~ + delay_exit_state
END

IF ~~ c_not_realize
  SAY ~[ARAN] Mayhap it scares you a bit. It scares me, somehow, but more on your account than on mine.~
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO c_person
END

IF ~~ delay_exit_state
  SAY ~[ARAN] Now we have been naught but good companions for a fair while now. Can a lad have a real conversation about all this?~
  ++ ~[PC] I don't like talking about all the power I have gained. It feels like I am becoming a weapon.~ + c_person
  ++ ~[PC] I do not need to talk about it. I realize exactly how powerful a weapon I am becoming.~ + c_person
  ++ ~[PC] I suppose. You know, you seem to have grown a bit since we first met in that inn room.~ + c_not_about_me
  ++ ~[PC] I did not ask for any of this, Aran. It was forced on me. Talking about it is useless.~ + exit_state_supportive
  ++ ~[PC] Shut up, Aran.~ + exit_state
 END 

IF ~~ c_not_powerful
  SAY ~[ARAN] That be th' largest load o' crap I done heard from you, ever.~
  ++ ~[PC] Look... it scares me, Aran. Even talking about it scares me.~ + c_scares_me
  ++ ~[PC] Well, you were due some retribution for the loads you throw around. What is next, casting me as the future Ruler of Toril?~ + c_cooking
  ++ ~[PC] I may be gaining power, but I do not seem to have any power over my own direction. I get tossed from battle to battle on the wind.~ + c_direction
  ++ ~[PC] Perhaps your head would look better if it was separated from your body. You have gone way past what I tolerate from you, sellsword.~ + exit_state  
  ++ ~[PC] Shut up, Aran.~ + exit_state
END

IF ~~ c_scares_me
  SAY ~[ARAN] There be naught to be scared about, as long as you be in charge o' yourself. Your power be a sharp weapon, for sure.~
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO c_person
END

IF ~~ c_person
  SAY ~[ARAN] Weapons be tools, and naught else. It takes a person weildin' th' sword to make th' call, an' direct th' cut or thrust. Otherwise, th' sword be a heavy decoration good for naught but trippin' over, eh?~
  ++ ~[PC] I agree. But right now, I have a feeling I am not completely in command of my destiny. Who is really directing me?~ + c_direction
  ++ ~[PC] That is why all this is important. I have the power to shape things, the strength to control it, and the willingness to direct it where I choose.~ + c_youareyou
  ++ ~[PC] That is why all this is important. I have the power to shape things, but I may not have the strength to control it.~ + c_direction
  ++ ~[PC] I did not ask for any of this, Aran. It was forced on me.~ + exit_state_supportive
  ++ ~[PC] I don't think I want to talk about this any more. We should move on.~ + exit_state
END

IF ~~ c_youareyou
  SAY ~[ARAN] I just hope you be th' one really callin' th' shots, an' not some blighted mage or god or some such bein' behind th' scenes.~
  ++ ~[PC] If it appears others are dictating my actions, just remember... it is not the one who strikes first who wins the battle. It is the one who strikes last.~ + c_strikeslast
  ++ ~[PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead.~ + c_direction
  ++ ~[PC] The gods call the shots. They interfere, they push, and they own the board. We just have to play along.~ + exit_state
  ++ ~[PC] The gods mess about on the game board. We just have to take it from them and make it serve our will.~ + exit_state
  ++ ~[PC] I don't think I want to talk about this any more. We should move on.~ + delay_exit_state
END

IF ~~ c_strikeslast
  SAY ~[ARAN] I suppose you be right. Only, if th' first strike be powerful enough, sometimes it wins outright, eh?~
  ++ ~[PC] Are you questioning my ability to use my power effectively?~ + c_effectively
  ++ ~[PC] This is more than a simple mercenary campaign. It takes time to build power, and sometimes it takes doing what others want in order to get what I want.~ + exit_state
  ++ ~[PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead.~ + exit_follower_state
  ++ ~[PC] The secret to my overbearing power is eating your curry. It will be my tool for conquest.~ + c_cooking
  ++ ~[PC] The gods call the shots. They interfere, they push, and they own the board. We just have to play along.~ + exit_state
  ++ ~[PC] The gods mess about on the game board. We just have to take it from them and make it serve our will.~ + exit_state
END

IF ~~ c_direction
  SAY ~[ARAN] Tyr's Eye, I blighted well hope you are th' one directin' yourself. You, I have some understandin' about, an' I put my trust in your judgement. Most others, not so much.~
  ++ ~[PC] Then I had better learn how to wield myself effectively.~ + c_effectively
  ++ ~[PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead.~ + c_direction
  ++ ~[PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead.~ + exit_follower_state
END

IF ~~ c_effectively
  SAY ~[ARAN] Effectively be part o' th' matter, I guess. But I were hopin' for more along th' lines o' compassionately.~
  ++ ~[PC] I think you had better define what you mean by 'compassionately'.~ + c_define_compassionately
  ++ ~[PC] It takes time to build power, and sometimes it takes doing what others want in order to get what I want. In the end, though, my will is what matters.~ + exit_state
  ++ ~[PC] I weigh my decisions carefully when I can. But sometimes, people get hurt no matter what I choose.~ + exit_state 
  ++ ~[PC] Effectively, compassionately... just words. Sometimes we just have to do what is in front of us and move on.~ + exit_state
END

IF ~~ c_define_compassionately
  SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, now, I hold my own counsel on that. Sometimes people get killed an' things get destroyed on account o' there be no choice.~
  = ~[ARAN] It be th' needless actions what might be held off on account o' compassion.~
  ++ ~[PC] We agree on that, Aran. We would not be traveling together if we did not.~ + exit_state
  ++ ~[PC] I find myself doing no needless actions. Everything I do is designed to build my own power and control my own destiny.~ + exit_follower_state
  ++ ~[PC] I weigh my decisions carefully when I can. But sometimes, people get hurt no matter what I choose.~ + exit_state 
  ++ ~[PC] I weigh my decisions carefully when I can. But people getting hurt is their problem, not mine.~ + exit_follower_state 
END

IF ~~ c_cooking
  SAY ~[ARAN] Aye, now there be a thought. <CHARNAME>, th' Force o' Faerun, Ruler o' All Toril, built up by serial doses o' my famous gut-bustin' fire-breathin' curry.~
  ++ ~[PC] Me? Ruler of all that I survey? Now that is a laugh.~ + exit_follower_state
  ++ ~[PC] Me? Ruler of all I survey? Of course. I shall make you my Chief Wineskin Washer. And Chief Wineskin Emptier, as well.~ + exit_fun_state
  ++ ~[PC] I think I might be more comfortable if you were in charge. Well, more in danger of bar brawls, but at least I would not be everyone's target.~ + exit_follower_state
  ++ ~[PC] Laugh all you want, Aran, my boy. I intend to find my own path, even if it means conquering the very Planes themselves to do it.~ + exit_state_lighthearted
  ++ ~[PC] Dear gods... the curry. Somehow, I knew that was the source of true power. I shall place you in charge of all cooking. And cleaning.~ + exit_fun_state
END

IF ~~ exit_state
  SAY ~[ARAN] I suppose you be right. But there be plenty o' time ahead to talk. Mayhap we pick this up later.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ exit_fun_state
  SAY ~[ARAN] Now that sounds right fine, it does. In fact, here be th' first duty entrusted me, all done already. One wineskin, empty, an' just beggin' for a dip in th' water!~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ exit_follower_state
  SAY ~[ARAN] Think about what you just said right careful, there. You already be a fair sight more powerful than I could hope to get. I don't mind bein' your sword, an' even bein' a tool to be used by you.~
  = ~[ARAN] Me, I can make a cut here or there, an' mayhap be useful in a limited way. You... you will influence th' whole o' blighted Toril, an' mayhap more.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ exit_state_lighthearted
  SAY ~[ARAN] An' I believe you will do just that, too. Mayhap I needs be expandin' my cookin' options. Takes a might large bit o' food to fuel Planar domination.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ exit_state_supportive
  SAY ~[ARAN] Don't you be worryin' naught about that. You take charge o' your destiny, forced or not, an' I will be right here to make sure things work out for th' best.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

Cleanup and edits, test installed, and up on GitHub here

/* SoA FriendTalks */
/* BG2 FriendTalk 20 c-aranfriendbg2 = 39  : Tools, Weapons, and Intention */
IF ~Global("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",39)~ THEN BEGIN a5246
  SAY @13760 /* [ARAN] You know, you be a bit more powerful than you seem to realize. */
  ++ @13761 /* [PC] I don't know. It feels like I am becoming a weapon. */ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",40) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",%ARAN_FTT%)~ + a5247
  ++ @13762 /* [PC] I realize exactly how powerful a weapon I am becoming. */ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",40) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",%ARAN_FTT%)~ + a5247
  ++ @13763 /* [PC] No, I am not. */  DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",40) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",%ARAN_FTT%)~ + a5248
  ++ @13764 /* [PC] What about you? You seem to have grown a bit since we first met in that inn room. */ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",40) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",%ARAN_FTT%)~ + a5264
  ++ @13765 /* [PC] This is a bad time to have another one of your deep existential conversations. */ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",340) RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranfriendtimer","GLOBAL",%ARAN_FTT%)~ + a5250
END
/* GOTO BG2 FriendTalk 20 c-aranfriendbg2 = 39  : Tools, Weapons, and Intention : Replies */

/* BG2 FriendTalk 20 c-aranfriendbg2 = 39  : Tools, Weapons, and Intention : Replies */
IF ~~ a5248
  SAY @13766 /* [ARAN] Not what? Not powerful, not realize? */
  ++ @13767 /* [PC] Not powerful. */ + a5251
  ++ @13768 /* [PC] I don't think I am any more or less powerful than when I started out. */ + a5251
  ++ @13769 /* [PC] I seem to have trouble realizing exactly how powerful I have become. */ + a5249
  ++ @13770 /* [PC] I don't know. I am still figuring out who I really am. */ + a5255
  ++ @13765 /* [PC] This is a bad time to have another one of your deep existential conversations. */ + a5250
END

IF ~~ a5249
  SAY @13771 /* [ARAN] Mayhap it scares you a bit. It scares me, somehow, but more on your account than on mine. */
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO a5247
END

IF ~~ a5250
  SAY @13772 /* [ARAN] Now we have been naught but good companions for a fair while now. Can a lad have a real conversation about all this? */
  ++ @13773 /* [PC] I don't like talking about all the power I have gained. It feels like I am becoming a weapon. */ + a5247
  ++ @13774 /* [PC] I do not need to talk about it. I realize exactly how powerful a weapon I am becoming. */ + a5247
  ++ @13775 /* [PC] I suppose. You know, you seem to have grown a bit since we first met in that inn room. */ + a5264
  ++ @13776 /* [PC] I did not ask for any of this, Aran. It was forced on me. Talking about it is useless. */ + a5263
  ++ @13777 /* [PC] Shut up, Aran. */ + a5259
 END 

IF ~~ a5251
  SAY @13778 /* [ARAN] That be th' largest load o' crap I done heard from you, ever. */
  ++ @13779 /* [PC] Look... it scares me, Aran. Even talking about it scares me. */ + a5252
  ++ @13780 /* [PC] Well, you were due some retribution for the loads you throw around. What is next, casting me as the future Ruler of Toril? */ + a5258
  ++ @13781 /* [PC] I may be gaining power, but I do not seem to have any power over my own direction. I get tossed from battle to battle on the wind. */ + a5255
  ++ @13782 /* [PC] Perhaps your head would look better if it was separated from your body. You have gone way past what I tolerate from you, sellsword. */ + a5259  
  ++ @13777 /* [PC] Shut up, Aran. */ + a5259
END

IF ~~ a5264
  SAY @13783 /* [ARAN] That be a right solid way o' changin' th' subject, but I be serious. This be about you, not me. */
  ++ @13779 /* [PC] Look... it scares me, Aran. Even talking about it scares me. */ + a5252
  ++ @13776 /* [PC] I did not ask for any of this, Aran. It was forced on me. Talking about it is useless. */ + a5263  
  ++ @13784 /* [PC] Is that what you see me as? A weapon? */ + a5247
  + ~Class(Player1,CLERIC_ALL)~ + @13785 /* [PC] I serve my deity. I am guided by my faith wherever that takes me, and whatever that makes me. */ + a5247
  + ~Class(Player1,MAGE_ALL)~ + @13786 /* [PC] I study magic. I am guided by my research wherever that takes me, and whatever that makes me.  */ + a5247
  + ~Class(Player1,FIGHTER_ALL)~ + @13787 /* [PC] I fight. I am guided by my tasks wherever they take me, and however they shape me. */ + a5247
  + ~Class(Player1,THIEF_ALL)~ + @13788 /* [PC] I do not always choose the job. Wherever the work takes me, and whatever it makes me, I am always looking for opportunity. */ + a5247  
  ++ @13789 /* [PC] Whatever happened to the good old talks, where you stumbled through silly entertaining things like curry ingredients? You are too serious. */ + a5265
END

IF ~~ a5252
  SAY @13790 /* [ARAN] There be naught to be scared about, as long as you be in charge o' yourself. Your power be a sharp weapon, for sure. */
  IF ~~ THEN GOTO a5247
END

IF ~~ a5247
  SAY @13791 /* [ARAN] Weapons be tools, and naught else. It takes a person weildin' th' sword to make th' call, an' direct th' cut or thrust. Otherwise, th' sword be a heavy decoration good for naught but trippin' over, eh? */
  ++ @13792 /* [PC] I agree. But right now, I have a feeling I am not completely in command of my destiny. Who is really directing me? */ + a5255
  ++ @13793 /* [PC] That is why all this is important. I have the power to shape things, the strength to control it, and the willingness to direct it where I choose. */ + a5253
  ++ @13794 /* [PC] That is why all this is important. I have the power to shape things, but I may not have the strength to control it. */ + a5255
  ++ @13795 /* [PC] I did not ask for any of this, Aran. It was forced on me. */ + a5263
  ++ @13796 /* [PC] I don't think I want to talk about this any more. We should move on. */ + a5259
END

IF ~~ a5253
  SAY @13797 /* [ARAN] I just hope you be th' one really callin' th' shots, an' not some blighted mage or god or some such bein' behind th' scenes. */
  ++ @13798 /* [PC] If it appears others are dictating my actions, just remember... it is not the one who strikes first who wins the battle. It is the one who strikes last. */ + a5254
  ++ @13799 /* [PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead. */ + a5255
  ++ @13800 /* [PC] The gods call the shots. They interfere, they push, and they own the board. We just have to play along. */ + a5259
  ++ @13801 /* [PC] The gods mess about on the game board. We just have to take it from them and make it serve our will. */ + a5259
  ++ @13796 /* [PC] I don't think I want to talk about this any more. We should move on. */ + a5250
END

IF ~~ a5254
  SAY @13802 /* [ARAN] I suppose you be right. Only, if th' first strike be powerful enough, sometimes it wins outright, eh? */
  ++ @13803 /* [PC] Are you questioning my ability to use my power effectively? */ + a5256
  ++ @13804 /* [PC] This is more than a simple mercenary campaign. It takes time to build power, and sometimes it takes doing what others want in order to get what I want. */ + a5259
  ++ @13799 /* [PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead. */ + a5261
  ++ @13805 /* [PC] The secret to my overbearing power is eating your curry. It will be my tool for conquest. */ + a5258
  ++ @13800 /* [PC] The gods call the shots. They interfere, they push, and they own the board. We just have to play along. */ + a5259
  ++ @13801 /* [PC] The gods mess about on the game board. We just have to take it from them and make it serve our will. */ + a5259
END

IF ~~ a5255
  SAY @13806 /* [ARAN] Tyr's Eye, I blighted well hope you are th' one directin' yourself. You, I have some understandin' about, an' I put my trust in your judgement. Most others, not so much. */
  ++ @13807 /* [PC] Then I had better learn how to wield myself effectively. */ + a5256
  ++ @13799 /* [PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead. */ + a5255
  ++ @13799 /* [PC] I might simply choose to become someone else's weapon. You seem to have found it easier to follow than to lead. */ + a5261
END

IF ~~ a5256
  SAY @13808 /* [ARAN] Effectively be part o' th' matter, I guess. But I were hopin' for more along th' lines o' compassionately. */
  ++ @13809 /* [PC] I think you had better define what you mean by 'compassionately'. */ + a5257
  ++ @13810 /* [PC] It takes time to build power, and sometimes it takes doing what others want in order to get what I want. In the end, though, my will is what matters. */ + a5259
  ++ @13811 /* [PC] I weigh my decisions carefully when I can. But sometimes, people get hurt no matter what I choose. */ + a5259 
  ++ @13812 /* [PC] Effectively, compassionately... just words. Sometimes we just have to do what is in front of us and move on. */ + a5259
END

IF ~~ a5257
  SAY @13813 /* [ARAN] Hey, now, I hold my own counsel on that. Sometimes people get killed an' things get destroyed on account o' there be no choice. */
  = @13814 /* [ARAN] It be th' needless actions what might be held off on account o' compassion. */
  ++ @13815 /* [PC] We agree on that, Aran. We would not be traveling together if we did not. */ + a5259
  ++ @13816 /* [PC] I find myself doing no needless actions. Everything I do is designed to build my own power and control my own destiny. */ + a5261
  ++ @13811 /* [PC] I weigh my decisions carefully when I can. But sometimes, people get hurt no matter what I choose. */ + a5259 
  ++ @13817 /* [PC] I weigh my decisions carefully when I can. But people getting hurt is their problem, not mine. */ + a5261 
  ++ @13789 /* [PC] Whatever happened to the good old talks, where you stumbled through silly entertaining things like curry ingredients? You are too serious. */ + a5265
END

IF ~~ a5258
  SAY @13818 /* [ARAN] Aye, now there be a thought. <CHARNAME>, th' Force o' Faerun, Ruler o' All Toril, built up by serial doses o' my famous gut-bustin' fire-breathin' curry. */
  ++ @13819 /* [PC] Me? Ruler of all that I survey? Now that is a laugh. */ + a5261
  ++ @13820 /* [PC] Me? Ruler of all I survey? Of course. I shall make you my Chief Wineskin Washer. And Chief Wineskin Emptier, as well. */ + a5260
  ++ @13821 /* [PC] I think I might be more comfortable if you were in charge. Well, more in danger of bar brawls, but at least I would not be everyone's target. */ + a5261
  ++ @13822 /* [PC] Laugh all you want, Aran, my boy. I intend to find my own path, even if it means conquering the very Planes themselves to do it. */ + a5262
  ++ @13823 /* [PC] Dear gods... the curry. Somehow, I knew that was the source of true power. I shall place you in charge of all cooking. And cleaning. */ + a5260
END

IF ~~ a5259
  SAY @13824 /* [ARAN] I suppose you be right. But there be plenty o' time ahead to talk. Mayhap we pick this up later. */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a5260
  SAY @13825 /* [ARAN] Now that sounds right fine, it does. In fact, here be th' first duty entrusted me, all done already. One wineskin, empty, an' just beggin' for a dip in th' water! */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a5261
  SAY @13826 /* [ARAN] Think about what you just said right careful, there. You already be a fair sight more powerful than I could hope to get. I don't mind bein' your sword, an' even bein' a tool to be used by you. */
  = @13827 /* [ARAN] Me, I can make a cut here or there, an' mayhap be useful in a limited way. You... you will influence th' whole o' blighted Toril, an' mayhap more. */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a5262
  SAY @13828 /* [ARAN] An' I believe you will do just that, too. Mayhap I needs be expandin' my cookin' options. Takes a might large bit o' food to fuel Planar domination. */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a5263
  SAY @13829 /* [ARAN] Don't you be worryin' naught about that. You take charge o' your destiny, forced or not, an' I will be right here to make sure things work out for th' best. */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ a5265
  SAY @13830 /* [ARAN] Well, I can trot out a joke or somethin', if that be th' way you really feel. */
  = @13831 /* [ARAN] Last market day, I were goin' to be buyin' an invisible sword. I took my coin an' found a smith what dealt wi' them, but... */
  = @13832 /* [ARAN] ...when I got there , I just couldn't see th' point! */
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END