Trilogy bug with main hero receiving extra damage

As I understand BGT forums are dead, hail EE and all that... so sorry for offtop. Probably fix for my problem could be included in future Fixpack or there is some easy solution that i am not aware. Sorry for my english level etc.

So the bug is that if you create custom hero in BGT BG1, damage rolls against him will be completely messed up. Shank (assasin in a house near the stables) will inflict 4 damage when its capped to 1 in original (its tutorial after all). I checked BG 1 original and EE - he should inflict exactly 1 damage every time and 2 for criticals. But with custom protagonist damage will be 4-5 which is exceeds dagger parameters.

The same for stable-guy with staff. He inflicts 8-10 damage every time when he should have 3-8 range  considering 1-6 base damage, +2 from proficiency and no STR bonuses. Once again I checked BG 1 and EE - everything is fine there. If you take them under control with CTRL-Q, their damage will be normal, so this extra damage exists only against our hero.

This two NPCs are the easiest to check the bug, but the problem persists for entire game resulting in main hero getting oneshotted even from cobold-archers.

I guess this is happening because during character creation in BGT the game considered to be BG2-like. But since its BG1, something strange happens. If you choose premade BG1 heroes (labeled as BGTHIEF, BGMAGE), instead of creating your own, the problem will be gone. And with Shadowkeeper you can easily edit premade-monstrosity into your own character. 

But if you choose BG2 character (labeled as THIEF, MAGE) the problem remains, proofing that its engine problem during Trilogy installation.

Installing TobEx or Fixpack before Trilogy doesnt fix that.

Looks like EE version fixed that, but in my recent playthrough with some mods and tweaks (humans are able to multiclass) this bug happened again.

Edited by Lunareon

Just ridiculous. Through TobEx I activated displaying damage rolls and this bonus damage came from ATTACK OF OPPORTUNITY. Looks like if someone attacks target which is unarmed (like all of my 1lvl test chars in Candlekeep. Premade chars had some weapon on them from the beginning) or equipped with ranged weapon (like the main hero I am playing right now), it received +4 to attack and damage. I am sure half of fans dont even know about such minor details. I am so glad its finally over, sorry for pointless thread.

Edited by Lunareon
12 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Nope, well... the BGT-weidu's which is the modern version of BGT are still online there. As well, as the Megamoding help forum, which is SHSforums speciality.

BGT is still 1.18 version without any new updates for many уears (at least on ModDB or should I look somewhere else?), so I thought community forgot about it. 

Edited by Lunareon

Yeah, no updates in about 5 years. The ModDB is not the official site, so it's a bad place to find things at, because there are far more mods than the few in there. And like said, the ModDB site didn't have BGT-weidu v1.18 in there until 2016, while the original was from 2013.

@Lunareon Tiny bit of an unnecessary necro (even though it's not that terribly old), but I just wanted to chime in to say that I went a *hell* of a lot of frustration myself trying to understand where exactly a mysterious +4 damage from weapons that supposedly don't cause damage was coming from. I wrote about it in the SRR thread, but there are magical weapons like Cause Light Wounds that aren't supposed to cause any physical damage that will cause 4 physical damage if the character being attacked is unarmed or using a ranged weapon. Had to enable extra damage roll feedback via the .ini like you did to figure out what was causing it. Wish I'd seen this thread before I got so frustrated with it a week or two back. Was testing all sorts of different things with weapons to try to figure out what in the world was causing it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
43 minutes ago, CamDawg said:

Fixpack ran into this with the Illusionary Werewolves Doing Actual Damage fix. To actually avoid the +4 damage bonus we had to set the damage to 0d0+0; even 0d6+0 would receive the additional bonus.

You *also* have to set the THAC0 bonus to 0 for it to get rid of the bonus damage - most probably that illusory werewolf already had that set to 0, so it didn't come up in your tests with it. But most SR summonable weapons have a +4 THAC0 "touch" bonus, and so only setting the damage type to none fixed it, as I'd already set everything to 0D0+0 damage before. I have no clue why, but I just tested again to make sure, and yep, chillt.itm with 0D0+0 damage with +4 THAC0 does 4 physical damage, remove the THAC0 bonus and it no longer does any.

Edited by Bartimaeus
13 hours ago, CamDawg said:

Fixpack ran into this with the Illusionary Werewolves Doing Actual Damage fix. To actually avoid the +4 damage bonus we had to set the damage to 0d0+0; even 0d6+0 would receive the additional bonus.

Right, and you couldn't just make the claw weapons themselves ranged ? 😛

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
27 minutes ago, CamDawg said:

That would, in turn, subject them to the penalties, which is also not correct.

Would it... how much ?

They are Illusionary, so you can crank up their AC as much as you like, without greatly OVERPOWERING them, as illusionary creatures tend to be kinda hard to hit being illusions and all that, and the player then critically hitting them makes kinda sense to dispelling the illusion making them more than real...

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Would it... how much ?

They are Illusionary, so you can crank up their AC as much as you like, without greatly OVERPOWERING them, as illusionary creatures tend to be kinda hard to hit being illusions and all that, and the player then critically hitting them makes kinda sense to dispelling the illusion making them more than real...

So... your suggestion is to fix a bug in a way that either introduces a new bug or forces an arbitrary change, as opposed to simply fixing the bug in a way that doesn't?

It's a bold strategy, Cotton.