My new "Made in Heaven" mods

28 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Ah. Well, Ascension adds dir.ids as well before MIH is installed. Perhaps break off the swap text for action.ids into its own block for redundancy, :).

Then I run the risk of doing it twice on non-Ascension games, which creates its own set of problems.  IMHO Ascension is wrong here, if it provides dir.ids it should also fix action.ids.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:12 AM, Angel said:

Then I run the risk of doing it twice on non-Ascension games, which creates its own set of problems.  IMHO Ascension is wrong here, if it provides dir.ids it should also fix action.ids.

Every "I:Face" comes at the end of its respective line, unless it has the "DIR" already added to it. Wouldn't it be possible to just include the parentheses in the text swap, so that it would only swap if the parentheses immediately succeeds it (i.e. if the DIR is not already there)?

At the very least, I should know how to solve the issue now.

(e): Yes, doing exactly that solved the issue with both components. Hooray!

Edited by Bartimaeus
On 11/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Every "I:Face" comes at the end of its respective line, unless it has the "DIR" already added to it. Wouldn't it be possible to just include the parentheses in the text swap, so that it would only swap if the parentheses immediately succeeds it (i.e. if the DIR is not already there)?

Mm, fair point.  And there might be other mods that have this issue.  While I'm not fond of fixing other mods' mistakes, I suppose it's either this or potentially face more error reports in the future.  I'll see what I can do.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, Bartimaeus said:

At the very least, I should know how to solve the issue now.

(e): Yes, doing exactly that solved the issue with both components. Hooray!

There are two ways to work around it, either delete dir.ids from override, or edit action.ids yourself.

1 hour ago, Angel said:

Mm, fair point.  And there might be other mods that have this issue.  While I'm not fond of fixing other mods' mistakes, I suppose it's either this or potentially face more error reports in the future.  I'll see what I can do.

There are two ways to work around it, either delete dir.ids from override, or edit action.ids yourself.

No, I just made the change I suggested to missing_files.tpa.

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME "dir.ids"
BEGIN
  LAUNCH_ACTION_FUNCTION install
    STR_VAR
    file    = "dir.ids"
    location    = "resource/missing"
  END
END

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME "action.ids"
BEGIN
  LAUNCH_ACTION_FUNCTION swap_text
    STR_VAR
    file    = "action.ids"
    swaps    = ~"I:Face\*)" => "I:Face*DIR)"~
  END
END

I keep a directory of other mods' install files that I modify so I don't have to ever repeat doing/undoing something for a particular mod for any game rebuilds...and so I don't ever accidentally forget to do something like "delete x file after component y of z mod" years down the line after I've forgotten the exact details of something I did.

Thanks for helping identify the issue.

Edited by Bartimaeus

GHAST.cre is causing the game to crash with error...

bgmain_uf037YIvQG.png

...every time one appears on screen for more than an instant. Removing their "MH#GHAST" class script solves the issue. The script in question seems to just cast "GHAST_STENCH" every 15 seconds, though I do not know what spell resource in particular this refers to. Does it exist in non-Enhanced Baldur's Gate?

Edited by Bartimaeus

Getting walloped by that huge group of spiders spiders in the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Tough to deal with all the web tangle spam - that's more or less fine, though, but MIH is increasing the XP of spiders, especially Giant Spiders, from their vanilla values a bit too much. A Giant Spider that gave 450 XP in vanilla now gives 2000; Astral Spiders from 1400 to 4000; Huge Spiders from 270 to 975. Is it not all a bit too much for enemies that aren't that much harder to deal with than big groups of Black Talon Elites, who are only worth 420 each?

14 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Getting walloped by that huge group of spiders spiders in the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Tough to deal with all the web tangle spam - that's more or less fine, though, but MIH is increasing the XP of spiders, especially Giant Spiders, from their vanilla values a bit too much. A Giant Spider that gave 450 XP in vanilla now gives 2000; Astral Spiders from 1400 to 4000; Huge Spiders from 270 to 975. Is it not all a bit too much for enemies that aren't that much harder to deal with than big groups of Black Talon Elites, who are only worth 420 each?

As I explained before it's exactly by the book (2e DMG page 69, or any MC in the prelude).  That's what adding three extra HD with appropriate thac0 and saves does to these creatures.  The web spam is not of my design, that's probably SCS.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:21 AM, Bartimaeus said:

GHAST.cre is causing the game to crash with error...

...every time one appears on screen for more than an instant. Removing their "MH#GHAST" class script solves the issue. The script in question seems to just cast "GHAST_STENCH" every 15 seconds, though I do not know what spell resource in particular this refers to. Does it exist in non-Enhanced Baldur's Gate?

And this is why I hate maintaining backwards compatibility with BGT and am seriously considering dropping it.  It's just too damn hard and frustrating to keep track and come up with workarounds for everything that doesn't work on an engine that has been outdated for twenty years.  Just get EE already, it's only what, fifteen bucks?  I'll see what I can do, but no guarantees here.

Edited by Angel
19 minutes ago, Angel said:

As I explained before it's exactly by the book (2e DMG page 69, or any MC in the prelude).  That's what adding three extra HD with appropriate thac0 and saves does to these creatures.  The web spam is not of my design, that's probably SCS.

And this is why I hate maintaining backwards compatibility with BGT and am seriously considering dropping it.  It's just too damn hard and frustrating to keep track and come up with workarounds for everything that doesn't work on an engine that has been outdated for twenty years.  Just get EE already, it's only what, fifteen bucks?  I'll see what I can do, but no guarantees here.

Just disable the parts that don't work if it's not simply a quick fix is what I'd suggest. It's not the end of the world if Ghasts don't cast their cloud spell - it's not like I'm keeping track of every little detail of the mod to make sure everything is working exactly as it would in the EEs, but a game crash every time I enter certain areas or get a random one spawned in the wilderness is pretty noticeable, hence why I report it.

I have the EEs, but I do not do anything besides test and troubleshoot on them. Unfortunately for others but also especially myself (it's not as though I wish for this to be the case), I do not prefer the Beamdog Baldur's Gate experience.

As for the spiders' XP values, I understand. Even though I don't have any quest/NPC/content-adding mods, my party is already level 6 right after defeating the Bandit Camp and before I have even reached Cloakwood - I think I should've used that creature XP-reducing mod.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Trying to install this, I'm not sure if it has hung locally, or this part in particular just takes close to an hour at 100% cpu in weidu:

"Including and running function(s) fix_race_class
Copying and patching 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying and patching 14443 files ..."

I'm trying to install with weinstall on GNU/Linux

Edit: Well, it's apparently chugging along, I see the output with "tail -f setup-mih_ip.debug" (up to the cre files that start with "T" now, yay)

Edited by ahungry
1 hour ago, ahungry said:

Trying to install this, I'm not sure if it has hung locally, or this part in particular just takes close to an hour at 100% cpu in weidu:

"Including and running function(s) fix_race_class
Copying and patching 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying and patching 14443 files ..."

I'm trying to install with weinstall on GNU/Linux

Edit: Well, it's apparently chugging along, I see the output with "tail -f setup-mih_ip.debug" (up to the cre files that start with "T" now, yay)

Yes, that part can take a while on a slower system.  On mine it takes about 10-15 minutes on BG2EE.  I probably should code it more efficiently sometime.  Good news is that it only happens once per installation.

21 minutes ago, ahungry said:

Why does it require reading all (15,000) creature files for the item pack?  I figured it would just add some items, but I notice mih_ip, mih_sr, and mih_eq all do this slow parsing of all .cre files in the override directory.

It dynamically fixes several oversights in creature files that will otherwise cause items to not function as designed.  Currently it properly labels water elementals (need for the Staff- and Ring of Water), labels mummies as mummies and not ghouls (various anti-undead items), fixes creatures that are level 30 in a secondary class for no reason (affects HP calculations) and makes sure summons give no XP and drop no items.

I really should code it more efficiently though.

I'm trying to install your Item Pack but I keep getting this error:

ERROR: Failure("Unknown macro: %array_name%") in apply_standard_function: inputs were func=cd_immunity, arguments=%CD_IMMUNITY%
ERROR: [MIH_IP/item_pack/items/mh#pbpaw.ITM] -> [override/mh#pbpaw.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Unknown macro: %array_name%"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR: [MIH_IP/item_pack/tables/simple_items.2da] -> [weidu_external/workspace/simple_items.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Unknown macro: %array_name%"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Made in Heaven: Item Pack], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 2757 files for [MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled    2757 files for [MIH_IP/SETUP-MIH_IP.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Failure("Unknown macro: %array_name%")

Any ideas?

*Solved* I started with a clean install of BG: EE and didn't install  a couple of unnecessary mods

Edited by Arannis

I installed mih_ip/sp/eq on a mega mod install - unfortunately I experienced segfaults in Ramizeths Tower (floor 2 - after this happened, I consoled to floor 6 and that worked, as well as floor 1 - so I think it was mih_eq improved ramizeth tower battles) and Ulcaster when they were installed - the same install, but without any of the MIH mods, and I haven't had segfaults in those locations, so I think something with MIH on an EET with many mods (MIH was installed after all npc/quest mods) doesn't play nicely - fwiw, I did have item_rev (rev) and spell_rev (rev) installed in the sequence after the MIH stuff, and I know you mentioned they aren't compatible.

Sometime I'll have to try just the MIH mods alone on an EET and see how Ulcaster/Ramizeth's tower perform - the ulcaster issue was solved by editing the area file and removing all the extra mobs that were added by mih_eq into the creature array segment, so my guess is one of the creatures referenced had a borked skill or ability

Edited by ahungry