Angel

My new "Made in Heaven" mods

6 minutes ago, Chitown Willie said:

Is the rewrite for behind-the-scenes purposes - or is it something from which the end-user will benefit?

Well, hopefully it will lead to better code and a more stable and compatible mod!  But most is behind the scenes, I haven't planned any major changes in content.  Although that doesn't mean I won't make any. ^^

Angel, I ask for your help: bg1 quest and encounters makes it possible to fry a spider egg and make it a headgem that makes you immune to hold.

In BGT, it also means immunity from critical hits.
In BGEE, it doesn't.

What immunity would you provide? Or is there any special opcode that would make the gem protect from critical hits?

11 minutes ago, Arthas said:

Angel, I ask for your help: bg1 quest and encounters makes it possible to fry a spider egg and make it a headgem that makes you immune to hold.

In BGT, it also means immunity from critical hits.
In BGEE, it doesn't.

What immunity would you provide? Or is there any special opcode that would make the gem protect from critical hits?

Internally, ioun stones (which is what the spider egg becomes) are implemented as helmets, and the old engine was hard-coded to block critical hits on creatures wearing any kind of helmet, even an ioun stone.  A "toggle" bit to turn critical hit protection off for helmets (and on for other items) was implemented by the ToBEx hack, and this same fix also made it into the EE engine.  So yes, in EE ioun stones will not provide critical hit protection, including the core ones.

As for what it should be, well, critical hit protection from helmets is non-canon to begin with but it makes sense to me.  After all, critical hits involve getting a lucky blow on an especially vulnerable area of the body and the head is an obvious one.  Think of head shots in first person shooters, for instance.  Anything that is not covering the head should not provide critical hit protection IMHO.  The ioun stones from my item pack will also not protect you from critical hits in EE or BG2/BGT with ToBEx (and without ToBEx, my mods will not function properly).

Oki, thanks. Some more informations (that may or may not prove useful):

1) The weapon "Bala's axe" is not available into BGT/classical BG2, while it's there on BG:EE
2) Kiel's helmet is missing from BG2 (both versions)
3) It would be cool if you could release a "special" plugin that adds back the "artifacts", like Durlag's goblet.

Edited by Arthas

5 hours ago, Arthas said:

1) The weapon "Bala's axe" is not available into BGT/classical BG2, while it's there on BG:EE
2) Kiel's helmet is missing from BG2 (both versions)
3) It would be cool if you could release a "special" plugin that adds back the "artifacts", like Durlag's goblet.

That's more the terrain of Unfinished Business, but well, I maintain that one too. ^^

Bala's Axe is restored by UB (it's in the Planar Sphere, I remember because I had to add code to not duplicate it on BGEE), would have to check for the others.  There are more of then, like "The Practical Defense" plate mail +3, Kiel's Buckler and "The World's Edge" two-handed sword +3.  In many cases, these are already equaled or superseded by other items,  for example the Doom Plate +3 found in Spellhold has exactly the same stats as The Practical Defense (I like the latter for its cooler look though), and Lilarcor is much better (and funnier) than The World's Edge.

In other cases, other mods already restore them and we could end up with duplicates.  I know there are at least two mods that restore Kiel's Buckler (Rogue Rebalancing is one of them), and I am pretty sure I saw The Practical Defense in a mod once too.

As for Durlag's Goblet, I suppose it would be fair to at least import it into Chateau Irenicus if not all charges had been used in BG1/SoD, but it being a unique artifact I'm a little wary about placing it fresh somewhere.

1 hour ago, Angel said:

That's more the terrain of Unfinished Business, but well, I maintain that one too. ^^

Bala's Axe is restored by UB (it's in the Planar Sphere, I remember because I had to add code to not duplicate it on BGEE), would have to check for the others.  There are more of then, like "The Practical Defense" plate mail +3, Kiel's Buckler and "The World's Edge" two-handed sword +3.  In many cases, these are already equaled or superseded by other items,  for example the Doom Plate +3 found in Spellhold has exactly the same stats as The Practical Defense (I like the latter for its cooler look though), and Lilarcor is much better (and funnier) than The World's Edge.

In other cases, other mods already restore them and we could end up with duplicates.  I know there are at least two mods that restore Kiel's Buckler (Rogue Rebalancing is one of them), and I am pretty sure I saw The Practical Defense in a mod once too.

As for Durlag's Goblet, I suppose it would be fair to at least import it into Chateau Irenicus if not all charges had been used in BG1/SoD, but it being a unique artifact I'm a little wary about placing it fresh somewhere.

It really doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would be left lying around... (I mean that's true of a lot of things, but that one in particular.)

Also, separately, that item is a real game-breaker that was pretty clearly designed to only be used in the last few minutes of the game (a game in which the Cavalier and Blackguard did not exist).  Having it for all of BG2 would just be tantamount to going through the whole game pressing 'ctrl-R' on people.  Fear immunity is not exactly difficult to come by in the sequel...

Thanks Angel for the reply.

And Thanks subtledoctor too. I must add that I know. I'll be cheesy then, and casually leave it somewhere before being kidnapped. EHEH

Edit:
1) Angel, what do you think about upgraded Koveras Ring and Semaj's robe inside BGT tweak?
2) Do you think that Questpack Ai improvements work well together with your tactical enhancements? What about Questpack creature improvements? I can forsake the creature improvements, but I would like to keep using the ai improvements.

Edited by Arthas

On 1/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Arthas said:

1) Angel, what do you think about upgraded Koveras Ring and Semaj's robe inside BGT tweak?

They always seemed kinda random to me, so I usually didn't install them.  The ring is also significantly more powerful than anything else you can get for quite a while.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Arthas said:

2) Do you think that Questpack Ai improvements work well together with your tactical enhancements? What about Questpack creature improvements? I can forsake the creature improvements, but I would like to keep using the ai improvements.

I've not encountered any issues myself., and Quest Pack has been a staple in my mod stack for many years.  I actually don't do that much with AI at all, my modifications are usually about adding or replacing creatures, or altering their stats.  Basically I do what SCS (usually) does not. 🙂

Thanks. Inside questpack there is both:

Ai improvements

Creature improvements 

Boss improvements

Right now I m mostly undecided if I should leave behind the creature improvements and boss improvements from questpack. These change the stats and abilities of creatures. If you vouch for it, I may not, though. 

Edited by Arthas

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.