2 issues prevented me from playing IWD:EE. Hoping for mods that fixes.

Guest Krikkert

Guest Krikkert

The first issue I have recently figured out. There's a way around it, so I'll skip on to the second and last issue right away. 

The second issue was that in IWD:EE they had removed the original IWD art from SCROLLS and VARIOUS ITEMS (weapons, armour etc.) and replaced it with the faaaar inferior scroll/item art from Baldur's Gate. Preposterous !!! A farcical decision :(:(:(. The esthetics, the menus, the art, the music, the sound, the atmosphere, the mood, and the feel of the original Icewind Dale game far outshines Baldur's Gate in every single area. Everything about it was so inviting and so atmospheric that I felt like I was physically there, setting foot in Kuldahar and standing face-to-face with undead wraiths in ancient tombs!! Why did they destroy part of that by replacing the art that is part of the IWD game's identity ??? Anyway, my question is whether there has now come a MOD that fixes this problem and returns the original art to the game in EE ?? I've looked at gibberlings3.net and Beamdog forums to look for such, but I've been unable to confirm whether such a mod exists or not. I'm starting to fear a mod/tweak like this may not exist… So I ask you, fellow players.... 

I cherish Icewind Dale above any other game, above any other story, and I cherish the places the game took me to above any others. I love it. I was 13 years old when it came out in 2000, first time I played it, and the game introduced me to the whole medieval fantasy genre. It left a profound impression on me. I really hope there are ways to fix the above issue, as I really want to return to the Dale and play it *one last time*. I have the the original box at home with CDs and stuff, but they were meant for Windows 98. They don't work no more... So I reckon EE is my only chance to return to the dale a last time.

2 hours ago, Guest Krikkert said:

... but they were meant for Windows 98. They don't work no more... So I reckon EE is my only chance to return to the dale a last time.

But they do. If only you have a CD rom reader, yes a DVD drive can read the CDs too. But yes, that REQUIRES the CD2 to be in the drive during your play... which eventually will scatch it. But far more will happen if you keep the CD in a dirty CD cover for 18 years. Also in this case, you need to install the game to your windows user folders(C:\Users\<username>\Games\Icewind Dale\  ... for example, yes, the "games" directory also is an example, but I use the same folder for my other old games... well, the Finnish version Pelit, as I am a Fin. ... if you use the C drive, as all the other folders are "protected by WindowsTM" ), as the game can't be patched if you don't.

If not, then you can get/download the classic version from GOG. This game is pre-patched... but I would still install it in the same folder.

Not that I recommend either of those options specifically.

So what was the issue 1 ?

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest Guest Krikkert
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, Jarno Mikkola said:

But they do. If only you have a CD rom reader, yes a DVD drive can read the CDs too. But yes, that REQUIRES the CD2 to be in the drive during your play... which eventually will scatch it. But far more will happen if you keep the CD in a dirty CD cover for 18 years. Also in this case, you need to install the game to your windows user folders(C:\Users\<username>\Games\Icewind Dale\  ... for example, yes, the "games" directory also is an example, but I use the same folder for my other old games... well, the Finnish version Pelit, as I am a Fin. ... if you use the C drive, as all the other folders are "protected by WindowsTM" ), as the game can't be patched if you don't.

If not, then you can get/download the classic version from GOG. This game is pre-patched... but I would still install it in the same folder.

Not that I recommend either of those options specifically.

So what was the issue 1 ?

Hey. I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I went for the IWD:EE edition and got help With restoring the spell/scroll icons. So that problem is solved. 

My issue 1 was also already solved, as I said. It was a matter of creating new characters any time I wanted during gameplay. The EE doesn't allow you to do that. But a way around it is to swap the singeplay save to the multiplayer save temporarily and create New characters to replace the ones that die during playing the game. I also like to start the game with just 1-3 characters and create the others I og to get a full roster of 6. But there's a way around it, so it's good. :)

Guest Guest Krikkert
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, Angel said:

He does have a point there, the IWD spell icons are better looking than the BG ones.  Making a mod that gives BG similar icons has been on my to-do list for some time.

Hey Angel. I got help from this guy just today. Here's a link. Scroll Down almost to the bottom of the discussion and find the download button to the mod in a white square. It's called "IWD_SPL_ICONS_v.04". Place it in the IWD:EE install folder, extract the .rar and install. It takes only a few Seconds and the icons are restored !!! Except what few spells may have been introduced in the game only through EE. Those will never have had any IWD icons to begin With.