Proposals for further spell tweaks

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Kind of a janky solution, since multiple uses of the spell can overlap and the player can still exploit them to simply throw one at an SD-ed character then throw the rest at someone else for the same amount of SD charges wasted as if you had used them all on the SD character,

1) I seriously doubt anyone would do that; 2) if they do, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. 

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Now if you have any ideas for stationary spells...

That would be pretty easy to set up, I think. Could have it knock off [spell level] per round, or something like that. Maybe [spell level / 3] or something, if you think unfocused stationary effects should be less immediately effective in burning through Deflections... Or just burn 5 Deflection levels whennthe spell first fires, and then stop. 

Plenty of options. I could probably make up a little mini-mod for testing purposes...

I don't understand how either of your solutions would work. Don't know what effect you're talking about for the first one, and the second one I'm failing to see how making it immediately knock off some levels would help. Even if you only wanted it knock off levels at the first pulse, which I presume you would just do by splitting it into different subspells, how do you make the subspell containing the actual stationary projectile detect whether or not the character has some kind of SD up and subsequently protect them? Not having any power level will just make it pierce the SD, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Sorry to chime in, but I was just wondering -- is it humanly possible to implement some kind of DnD-ish Counterspelling with tools we have available now? 

The ideal scenario is this: the game detects what spell is being cast by creature A, and if creature A becomes a target of exact same spell while casting, it suffers heavy concentration check or interruption, at the same time blocking the spell being cast at it altogether.

I'm not sure it's within SR(R)'s scope to be honest, but still, closest thing to the right place to ask about this imo.

Edited by n-ghost
32 minutes ago, n-ghost said:

Sorry to chime in,

Don't worry, this is exactly why I made the thread ;)

is it humanly possible to implement some kind of DnD-ish Counterspelling...? 

...the game detects what spell is being cast by creature A, and if creature A becomes a target of exact same spell while casting, it suffers heavy concentration check or interruption, at the same time blocking the spell being cast at it altogether.

So, like, if I see a mage casting Fireball at me, I quickly cast Fireball at him and the two spells cancel each other out?

...No, that's probably not possible. 

It might be possible, maybe only in the EEs, to set it up such that targeting a spell at a mage who is in the midst of casting would cause both spells to fizzle. But 1) it would be complex, and finicky; and 2) it would be easy for the player to exploit and nearly impossible for the AI to exploit. So I don't know if it would be very edifying. 

Edited by subtledoctor
9 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

So, like, if I see a mage casting Fireball at me, I quickly cast Fireball at him and the two spells cancel each other out?. 

... that would definitely not going to be done so.. what's proposed is targeted cancel an already being cast spell.

In fireballs case... the missile could be sent... but the explosion of the missile would be canceled. This can technically be done, if we can remove the projectile from the spells effects.

Or the less fine, but as well working one is to use a spell that uses multiple opcode #83 to all the party members.