No joy, installation was successful (still a few issues but less than last time, I think I'll make notes next time to track the issues) but it still hit the memory leak problem when running setup-10pp.exe. Something stood out to me this time though, the weidu window logged lots of this message "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." 

And they coincide with the debug for these messages:

[./override/#V7000.BCS] loaded, 2453 bytes
[./override/#VAR11.BCS] loaded, 503 bytes
[./override/#VAR12.BCS] loaded, 503 bytes
[./override/#VAR13.BCS] loaded, 503 bytes
[./override/#VAR20.BCS] loaded, 6826 bytes
[./override/#VAR21.BCS] loaded, 3607 bytes
[./override/#VAR22.BCS] loaded, 3193 bytes
[./override/#VAR23.BCS] loaded, 9122 bytes
[./override/TRIGGER.IDS] loaded, 9598 bytes
[./override/ACTION.IDS] loaded, 15325 bytes
[./override/DIR.IDS] loaded, 109 bytes
[./override/OBJECT.IDS] loaded, 1844 bytes
[./override/SPELL.IDS] loaded, 20913 bytes
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [G:\Games\GOG Galaxy\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\data\\DATA\DEFAULT.BIF]
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [G:\Games\GOG Galaxy\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\data\\DATA\DEFAULT.BIF]
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [G:\Games\GOG Galaxy\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\DATA\DEFAULT.BIF]
[G:\Games\GOG Galaxy\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\DATA\DEFAULT.BIF] 5847739 bytes, 444 files, 0 tilesets
[./override/EA.IDS] loaded, 244 bytes
Copied [#VAR23.BCS] to [10pp/temp/baf/#VAR23.BCS] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
[./override/#VAR30.BCS] loaded, 2397 bytes
[./override/#VBARDI.BCS] loaded, 26286 bytes
[./override/ANIMATE.IDS] loaded, 11958 bytes
Copied [#VBARDI.BCS] to [10pp/temp/baf/#VBARDI.BCS] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
[./override/#VCARIEM.BCS] loaded, 635 bytes

What's interesting though is the instances of weidu showing up on task manager also appear each time these messages were generated. I really don't know what to make of it, could my version of weidu be out of date? I thought I had the latest but maybe I followed the wrong link. Or is this something else entirely?

That's an error from windows, so I can't be of much more use. I know other people hit it with other mods as well, but I think in general it can be ignored?

As a last resort, you could install the mod semi-manually, in steps, but then it won't be uninstallable. Let me know if you want to try this.

Might do, not quite there yet. I'm going to call it a night for now, shut my PC down fully and hopefully clear the lingering instances of weidu that seem to have survived two reboots that I only noticed a moment ago. I checked my version of weidu and it looks like it's right v249.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll give it another go tomorrow hopefully with all my system resources available

So there's good news and bad news. The good news is I was a bit of an idiot and forgot to set the path to gemrb in my bg2 folder which meant I could install all the other gemrb specific mods which I've now tested and appear to work sufficiently well for me to be happy. The bad news is 10pp is still running into the same error when it doesn't run out of memory. I think that's a good reason to try the manual way if you still want to help.

I don't know if these are issues with my installation or just integration with gemrb but I noticed a few odd things while testing. I can drag menus in directions they aren't supposed to go, spells didn't appear to complete correctly (lacking icons, spellcasting animation on loop but the effects seemed to work), I didn't appear to take damage in combat despite seeing multiple hits land according to the readout, I saw my character go over the max hp a number of times and the paperdoll was being a bit weird (s/m/c didn't show  one in character generation, in game it didn't show the dagger equipped in the inventory screen but did for the animated one in game)

Do you perchance have access to that linux-shell-on-windows thing (I think it's called WSL)? Either way, you'll need a console open to run weidu.

Anyway, the mod does these things:

1. Looks for all scripts that reference Player6 and decompiles them to BAF.

2. Runs the perl scripts to upgrade each script.

3. Recompiles them and puts them into override.

(and almost the same thing for dialogs)

Judging from some of your log output, it seems like it failed already at step 1. So I suggest you move to 10pp/temp/baf (create it if it doesn't exist), run weidu --biff-get "*.bcs" and see if that manages to extract them all.

Sorry, it uses a regex, not a glob, so the command is:

weidu --biff-get ".*bcs" 

Then you can try to decompile them all:

weidu *
rm *bcs

Then you either work with all the files or exclude those not mentioning Player6. That's why I was asking about WSL — I can tell you what to run, otherwise it's up to you:

# this will remove every file not referencing Player6
grep -L Player6 * | xargs rm

# if you get errors about xargs, just get the list of files and delete them manually:
grep -L Player6 *

Let me know if this phase went well.