The unfindable quest

Cengton

Hey! 
So I can't begin to describe just how much I'm enjoying this mod, really.. it's almost ridiculous how I'm giggling like a school girl. However I just can't manage to get his quest (I heard there was one, looked all over for it, can't put my hands on it). I've hand Aran in my party for more than a long while and I just can't seem to be advancing in this respect. Maybe it takes a reallllllllly long time for a chat about a potential quest to come up? In which case I'd be more than grateful for some insight!

Also, wanted to add a little bug I encountered: the 1st time I got him and went on to the slums to have my 1st talk with Gaelan Bayle, he just didn't manage to speak to me, clearly wanted to but nada. Tried not taking Aran in my party the 1st time I met him, talked to the dude than went back for Aran, once Ch2 started and that seemed to work. Don't know if that helps..

Anywho, cheers!

Cool - glad you find him amusing!!

There is no specific unique BIG quest in-game right now - the "hook" for any future series of quests is Teldara (Mercenary Recruiter in The Broken Sword, area C-AR01). I wrote up a bunch of ideas on the forum, but right now the actual big quest is still a bunch of mismatched partially coded ideas. There are "mini-encounters" scripted in, and multiple talks for bit-players (pun intended) but I am coming back to the quest.

There is a sort-of-joking quest, for fun - it is an homage to Darious and Miera's Amber mod (which I love as a male PC romancing her), and follows a similar pattern. To get it, you have to talk to Orrin (the bartender) a number of times. He gives you a FedEx quest to take tax papers to the Government District, where you go through the standard "Burocratic Shuffle" - I had fun writing it, and find it amusing, but it is definitely not an original idea!

Details on getting it:

Talk to Orrin in The Broken Sword (have a reputation of higher than 6 or the "quest" is blocked). In Orrin's main ~True()~ state, if you talk to him 6 times with Aran in the party, he will break down and offer the quest. It may be possible to loop through his initial dialogue 6 times to get the correct line to play, but I haven't tried it for years and years.

Spoiler

(if you are in a hurry and don't mid skipping dialog with Orrin, you can set

SetGlobal("c-arantavern","C-AR01",6)

while in the Inn and it should jump right to the relevant discussion.)

The conversation snippet where you know you have the quest set up (it sets the variable) is

~[C-AW01TK] Ah, <CHARNAME>... well met. Aran, given our longstanding friendship and good relations...~
~[ARAN] Cut the bullshit an' stop lyin' through your nose, you soddy ol' bastard. What do you be wantin'?~
~[C-AW01TK] As gracefully eloquent as ever, I see. Actually, I would say this is so meager a request that only you need to be present, but perhaps your adventuring party might enjoy a small walk in the fresh air.~

The last reply on that is

~[PC] What is in the package?~

Follow that, and you should be off and running.

The reward is minimal

Spoiler

getting access to Orrin's "rich people stock" without the check for whether the party is rich. I should include a discount store for it... mainly it is rewarding the player with more dialogue and interaction.

Hmm. Have to revisit it. Originally it was an "Easter Egg" rewarding folks for doing the "keep talking to all the bit players several times to see the different responses", since that is not usually a large part of the i.e. gaming experience :) The "reward' component mostly was having banters between Orrin and Aran to flesh out the "backstory relationship". 

Edit: Thanks for the bug report on Gaelen Bayle - I will take a look and see what might be going wrong - I think Aran has an interjection there, and perhaps it was blocking something!