Add Map Notes crashing

So I'm getting a crash anytime I try to add a map note and click "Done" in BG TuTu:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: S:\Gaming\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate TuTu\BGMain.exe

abnormal program termination"

1. I'm on Windows 10.
  2. I got BG1 and BG2 from GOG.
  3. I used EasyTuTu.
  4. I've only installed the "Add Map Notes" component of The Tweaks Anthology v8. I'm not using any other mods (unless you'd count custom portraits.)
  5. New Game. New Character. I not using any old saves or anything. All fresh.
  6. I've tried installing the latest Microsoft Visual Studio Redistributable. Did nothing.

Anybody else encounter this or have any ideas? 

Tested that and, yes, it still crashes. 

...I decided to nuke that install and created a fresh EasyTutu instance. Now at I can add map notes as long as I don't install that component

EDIT: I get the same crash trying to import a character... So, I decided to pick up BG:EE. Installed everything in the Tweak Anthology and it seems to be perfectly stable after 40mins of play. I wanted that old school feel just one more time, but I guess it's time to move on.

Edited by Collbrande

I also noticed my new BGT install (everything up to date) crashes when making map markers.

On 2019/02/22 at 7:23 AM, Collbrande said:

EDIT: I get the same crash trying to import a character...

If the game crashes when trying to import a character try removing all non .CHR files form the "\characters"  folder.

Edited by Gibergobber

Thought I should add, this seems to be a problem in the original Baldur's Gate 2 game. The game can crash when adding a map marker, or altering the character biography, or editing a journal entry. (I don't know if the crash on character import when non .chr files are present is related, though there are things to suggest it may be.)

Seems this can happen even with a fresh install of the original disc version. Though it only happens on certain systems. For example copying an installation of the game that crashes on one system, onto another system, might no longer crash when performing those actions.

There seems to be scattered posts about this now and then and I haven't seen a solution or exact cause.

https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/baldurs_gate_2_complete_crash_when_trying_to_change_character_biography_writing_in_the_journal_a

There are posts related to these crashes going back years, with conflicting reports blaming antivirus, video drivers.. Though neither seem to be a reliable solution.

With Collbrande mentioning the problem was possibly created/solved through mods it sounds like there's some hope of fixing it in the game itself for those having this problem. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the game has some idea about where to look.

Hey all, I had this issue too but managed to fix it. Just posted this to the thread Gibergobber linked to but I'll paste it here as well. Hope this fixes it for other people too.

Hey guys, I had the same issue on windows 10. I first got hit by it when playing a thief and accepting the thieves stronghold after the mae'var quests. Apparently that alters the map marker for your guildhall.

What worked for me is run it in windows xp mode. I just used the windows tool to determine that. Just to be comprehensive; to do that rightclick bgmain.exe -> properties -> tab: compatibility -> Run compatibility troubeshooter.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for figuring out it most likely was an OS issue.

Edit:
Celebrated a bit too early.. I can open the map but now it crashes on save which is a problem because it means you can't leave the area since it auto saves on exit. Hope somebody has any more bright ideas.

Edited by lythoc_tes

This entire thing is technically OS related... it's how the OS uses ... Well, how the OS is meant to use the folders.

See the Windows 10 and the other Win OS'es via updates, intend the user to use their own folders to contain copies of their own works. This includes old games that were never verified to work in Windows 10... cause Win 10 didn't exist when BG2 was made.

Use of compatibility mode should be extreamly limited to cases where it's actually intended ... which is not the case here, as you'll see.

As the only thing you should do is to install the game to your own personal files in Windows 10. It's located in the C:\Users\<user name>\ -folders, this is where the OS puts the Download folder by default and others such as Images.

And if you have a non-enflish OS, the folder are the same, even if the OS sees them use a different language as their shown name. As mine for example shows the "Pictures" folder as "Kuvat", cause that's the Finnish term for pictures. It's in C:\Users\<user name>\Pictures\ ... where the <user name> of course is the log in name, usually. Mine is a character in the keyboard.

I recommend of course to use a subfolder for your games, as that help you to "locate then more easily".. as the user folder is not generally used to link things into. As the OS has the quick use menu, which updates time from time and if you use the Games folder a lot, it will show up there.

Thanks for the feedback. Few more things I tried:

- installing it on c:\users\<user name>  did not work. Exact same error.

- virtualbox windows xp service pack 3 did work also in stretched mode.

Since the crash also happens when writing custom journal entries and bios it indeed seems to be related to custom user input. I'm not a modder but are perhaps separate files create for those actions? I mean in contrast to just storing game state in a save file.

Edited by lythoc_tes

User Minamir at gog forums came with a solution that worked for me:

I think I've a solution. I've got retail, non-EE versions and am on Windows 10 if that matters.I thought I fixed it with setting compatibility mode alone, but then experienced crashes when saving game with map notes/biography edits etc. Without any compatibility modes, it crashes as soon as I try to add/edit anything.

1. Go to the game's folder, right-click on BGMain.exe and select Properties.
2. On the compatibility tab, select bots "Run as administrator" and set compatibility mode to Windows XP.
3. Load existing save or start new game.
4. Add a map note, or edit biography, or add player journal entry. There might be a couple seconds delay/freeze when adding first edit.
5. DO NOT SAVE. Quit to main menu.
6. Load the save again, or start new game again.
7. You should now be able to add notes etc and then successfully save without crashes. From now on, this save should be crash-proof when it comes to map notes or journal entries.

Try if that works for you, folks.

https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/baldurs_gate_2_complete_crash_when_trying_to_change_character_biography_writing_in_the_journal_a/page2

On 9/26/2019 at 1:45 PM, lythoc_tes said:
On 9/26/2019 at 1:45 PM, lythoc_tes said:

Omg, this actually works! I spent all night trying different compatibility modes, uninstalling and reinstalling and the solution was right here :D Thank you for posting this!