Out, Brief Candlekeep! (mod mostly for BG:EE)

Guest Henanigan

Yes, one party of assassins. (Also some nobles outside.)

Not sure about 'carefully', but the assassins mention how they got in, and there's some loot to be had outside the walls if you choose to investigate.

Guest Henanigan

NE corner of the map. Behind Candlekeep Inn I suppose, but on the outside. The assassins mention the nobles at the gate as well, IIRC, so that too would be a reason to read carefully I guess. :)

I'm preparing an update for "Adventurer's Miscellany," and I'm updating this mod, too, with the new version of wine, and to remind of this mod's existence. There is only one bottle of it here. The description now hints at wine's effects without being explicit.

Guest Henanigan

Hi Temnix,

You wrote in another thread that your mods don't get the attention they deserve. Don't you think that at least part of it may be your unconventional decision regarding a modder prefix? Regardless of rational arguments here, if people perceive it as if you're driving on the wrong side of the road, you're going to make people nervous.

I rather like this mod of yours though, so I have a suggestion. With your permission I could host this mod at my Github, but in doing so, I'd switch the file names and file references to use a prefix instead of a suffix. (I've already done this locally. I used a script to do it, will triple-check it for bugs first if I have another go at it.)

I would have to use my own modder prefix though. But I'd prefer to use yours. If you don't want to register at the blackwyrm forums yourself, I could try to register one on your behalf, referencing this thread.

Would you be ok with any of this?

Guest Henanigan
On 9/21/2021 at 8:19 PM, Endarire said:

Hen: I like that idea.

Well... modder drama gets old real quick... and what I suggested could be a way to bypass kneejerk reactions. It could backfire on me as well, but I have no reputation points around here to worry about, so...

Obviously I'd credit temnix, that's why I wouldn't use my own prefix. It would be clear from the community list who wrote the mod.

Anyway I didn't ask temnix if he liked the idea, only if he'd allow me to do it. :)

The answer is no. My choice of a suffix instead of a prefix has caused no problems whatsoever to date, there is no reason to think it ever will, and I'm not responsible for anybody's knees. Let them get their heads out of the sand instead. It's a good thing you popped by, though, because I want to thank you for pointing out problems with "Adventurer's Miscellany." You were the only one to give feedback on that mod. I have a very big update and overhaul mostly finished, set aside for now as I'm making something smaller. As far as I'm concerned, you earned a reputation point there.

Edited by temnix

@temnix
This seems bugged on my install.  Cutscene mode activated and assassins only appeared when I slept at the inn.  Otherwise, cutscene mode activated and there was no way to skip it.  I also found no assassins.  Best to put the foes near CHARNAME's current location and remove cutscene mode.

I was also disappointed that I couldn't learn Vanishing Act at character creation.  Maybe it was my mod wad.

(Firebeard Elvenhair spammed Horror on the assassins, trivializing the fight and proving his spells were for more than just show!  Alleluia!)

Thankee!

Edited by Endarire

Yes, there should be no cutscene there. I'll tweak that sometime soon. The problem is that for the assassins to appear every time, wherever the player may be at the deadline (and they do), a rather funky function needs to be used. On rare occasions they may show up behind an obstacle and not see the player to start the conversation at the end of which the cutscene ends. They are still there, though. I'll eliminate the cutscene mode. The Vanishing Act doesn't follow the standard format of the toolset required to be added to the starting spell selection, just like all my other spells. You don't get them at level-up either. They must be found somewhere in the world.