Crash upon entering Irenicus' Dungeon LVL2

16 minutes ago, ABlake said:

I'm starting to get the feeling there are more than one problems here. One faulty CRE (since the loading couldn't finish before, but now it can), and now some script is doing something illegal too...

Hold on a sec and I'll try to collect some vanilla scripts for you to try. In the mean time, you could try deleting the .CRE files one by one and launch the game, see when exactly the game *can't* finish the loading.

What would make this worse is maybe some spell/effect has bad target...

Alright, will report back ASAP to let you know what file stops me from getting to that black fade out with the sound effect.

14 minutes ago, Vlan said:

Could you try this file?

AR0603.ARE

Just tried it. Still the same crash. Sometimes the bar fills in, sometimes it stays empty before it happens, but in both cases the level does not even manage to load in.

Edited by Avallach

Ok wow.

With the Vanilla files provided by ABlake, I actually narrrowed it down to one single .CRE file. The Duergar Mage (DUEMAGG02.CRE).

If I remove it, not only the level loads but I am allowed to play past the fade out as well.

Unfortunately, this seems to work only with the said Vanilla files. With the modded .CREs that were there before from other mods, removing the Duergar Mage is still not enough and the level fails to load.

Edited by Avallach

Yeah well if it's a "mage" problem, then there's another mage (the female shadow thief mage) in that area (and one of the assassins can also cast spells). If it's a "duergar" problem, then there's a few more of 'em... But this gotta be a CRE problem, not a script problem, because most creatures in that area won't do anything until a PC enters their line of sight. Maybe the duergars are trying to equip two ranged weapons at once or something (or maybe shield + crossbow).

Now if you would go back to the files you originally have, try removing all the duergar ones. Or try removing those that are similar in some way.

Edited by ABlake
8 minutes ago, Vlan said:

Can you upload the DUEMAGG02.CRE file?

Here you go.

7 minutes ago, ABlake said:

Yeah well if it's a "mage" problem, then there's another mage (the female shadow thief mage) in that area (and one of the assassins can also cast spells). If it's a "duergar" problem, then there's a few more of 'em... But this gotta be a CRE problem, not a script problem, because most creatures in that area won't do anything until a PC enters their line of sight. Maybe the duergars are trying to equip two ranged weapons at once or something.

Now if you would go back to the files you originally have, try removing all the duergar ones. Or try removing those that are similar in some way.

Gotcha. Will report back with results

I should probably mention that while playing the level with your vanilla files, it seems to still hard crash but at random times, not straight away after the loading.

Only thing that seems to be going on the entire time from the very beginning(according to the combat log) is a Mephit battling an Assassin in the hall right after the Mephit Cages/Dead Khalid.

Also I realized I got you two guys mixed up regarding the vanilla files, oops. Fixed.

Edited by Avallach

Oh shit, nevermind, I know what your problem is.

You are using faulty BG1 animations provided by one of the animation packs that you installed.

I just checked the DUEMAG02 creature file again, and saw this:

Z4I9UF5.png

I had the same problem with the Imoen Romance mod which used the BG1 animations for characters.

Edited by Vlan
6 minutes ago, Vlan said:

Oh shit, nevermind, I know what your problem is.

You are using faulty BG1 animations provided by one of the animation packs that you installed.

Hmm... the only mod I can think of would be Infinity Animations, but I did not install the BG1 anims from that pack. Only the IWD, Moinesse and NWN ones. 🤔

Are you also checking the second Duergar file that I re-posted?

Edited by Avallach

I just noticed that, but the vanilla one also uses that animation. Besides, the other dwarfs also use the "LOW" animation, but apparently only the mage is causing the crash, if you're using the vanilla CRE's? The fighter duergars use the FIGHTER_MALE_DWARF_LOW animation, while the mage uses the MAGE_MALE_DWARF_LOW one.

8 minutes ago, Avallach said:

Hmm... the only mod I can think of would be Infinity Animations, but I did not install the BG1 anims from that pack. Only the IWD, Moinesse and NWN ones. 🤔

I just checked original BG2 files, and realized that this is how its supposed to be, BUT it still seems to be faulty when combined with installing the Infinity Animations pack.

I just changed the animations in my game, and you know what happened?

Screenshot (1259).png

Edited by Vlan

I think to solve the CRE issue, you'll probably need to change the animation of all the duergars in that area to the non-LOW version - just FIGHTER_MALE_DWARF and MAGE_MALE_DWARF.

Why don't you upload all the duergar CRE's files (the ones you originally have in override), then one of us will change them to the non-LOW versions for you. See what happens.

As for the occasional crash, this *could* be a bad effect / bad target. Whenever the associated creature performs that action, it crashes the game.

Edited by ABlake

Here is the fixed DUEMAG02 file, but this guy might not be the only one which will crash your game later on. I am not sure why this happens, but there is a problem wiht _LOW animation files from the Infinity Animation pack, or in combination with animation mods.

DUEMAG02.CRE

Edited by Vlan