Crash upon entering Irenicus' Dungeon LVL2

7 minutes ago, ABlake said:

I think to solve the CRE issue, you'll probably need to change the animation of all the duergars in that area to the non-LOW version - just FIGHTER_MALE_DWARF and MAGE_MALE_DWARF.

Why don't you upload all the duergar CRE's files (the ones you originally have in override), then one of us will change them to the non-LOW versions for you. See what happens.

Gotcha. I hope you don't mind but I actually enclosed the entire batch of all 24 CRE files regarding that particular area. It seems there's just 3 files regarding the Duergars (DUEARC01, DUEMAG02 and DUERGAR1)

7 minutes ago, Vlan said:

Here is the fixed DUEMAG02 file, but this guy might not be the only one which will crash your game later on. I am not sure why this happens, but there is a problem wiht _LOW animation files from the Infinity Animation pack.

DUEMAG02.CRE

You are right, even with this file, it still crashes no matter what combination (original BG2 or the modded ones) I use. I am enclosing the rest. :)

Backup.rar

Edited by Avallach

Ooof, just tried it and it still crashes (with the modded batch). 😕

It also crashes when I just use the 3 files alone.

However, using them with the vanilla files by ABlake, seems to work.

.... which probably means one of those 21 files is at fault or a completely different issue altogether.

Is it crashing without finishing loading now? If yes, it means we're still at the "faulty animation" part.

I'm a bit skeptical about the "Ninja" one, you know. Try the file I'm attaching here; I changed his animation from "moinesse ninja" to normal thief human.

If no, then it's a different problem...

ishadmt1.cre

I checked the batch you uploaded, and only two of the characters (Duergars) were using the _LOW animation.

I am at loss here then, since I was 100% certain that it's an animation issue, or might be that even other animation files are corrupt then.

You should keep the three modified files in the override though.

Edited by Vlan
8 minutes ago, ABlake said:

Is it crashing without finishing loading now? If yes, it means we're still at the "faulty animation" part.

I'm a bit skeptical about the "Ninja" one, you know. Try the file I'm attaching here; I changed his animation from "moinesse ninja" to normal thief human.

If no, then it's a different problem...

ishadmt1.cre

Wow, talk about a perfect timing here. I was actually deleting/replacing the files one by one and narrowed it exactly to this one. Was about to send it too! :D

Turns out that was the mysterious cause of the second crash. I do not understand tho, I remember playing with Moinesse's Ninja avatar many times before (even had Mae'Var and other NPCs utilize it)... what could possibly cause the game to suddenly dislike it?

8 minutes ago, Vlan said:

I checked the batch you uploaded, and only two of the Duergars were using the _LOW animation.

I am at loss here though.

No problem! You've been very helpful and actually helped solve through your combined powers the Duergar problem. :) It was something completely different as seen above.

Edited by Avallach

The Moinesse Ninja actually does show up in my installation, apparently because I also have it installed. Only the two faulty duergars' animations show up as "unknown".

I never tried the ninja anim before, so I didn't know. Just now I tried it, and it crashed my game too. But then, I never installed Infinity Anim fully properly. Only bits and pieces, and mostly manually.

Glad that this works out for you. However, as Vlan pointed out, you might run into this same problem in the future. This happened to me too, a long time ago, and I figured it out the hard way. Most likely there are other creatures in your game that use faulty animations, and the game will crash without being able to finish loading the area they are in.

My advice is, if you would spend some time figuring out how to use NearInfinity to open and edit .CRE files, this would help you fix similar issues if you run into them again. The idea is, if an area fails to load, you can use NearInfinity to open that area (.ARE file), then go through all the .CRE's in that area, see if any of them has "unknown" or suspicious animation, and make necessary changes.

Just now, ABlake said:

The Moinesse Ninja actually does show up in my installation, apparently because I also have it installed. Only the two faulty duergars' animations show up as "unknown".

I never tried the ninja anim before, so I didn't know. Just now I tried it, and it crashed my game too. But then, I never installed Infinity Anim fully properly. Only bits and pieces, and mostly manually.

Glad that this works out for you. However, as Vlan pointed out, you might run into this same problem in the future. This happened to me too, a long time ago, and I figured it out the hard way. Most likely there are other creatures in your game that use faulty animations, and the game will crash without being able to finish loading the area they are in.

My advice is, if you would spend some time figuring out how to use NearInfinity to open and edit .CRE files, this would help you fix similar issues if you run into them again. The idea is, if an area fails to load, you can use NearInfinity to open that area (.ARE file), then go through all the .CRE's in that area, see if any of them has "unknown" or suspicious animation, and make necessary changes.

Ah, damn you are right. Now I am wondering if my game might go haywire while I go to the Underdark where bunch of Duergars reside. Or the Copper Coronet. 😑

If that's the case, I assume I just need to find out what file is the culprit again and edit the animation section to the non-LOW one in NearInfinity?

Alright, I just tried to teleport to the Copper coronet and the game immediately gave out the same symptons of crashing upon loading. Which leads me to believe the whole "Ninja" or "Duergar" thing might be spread all over the game.

I think I'll just reinstall the game and either avoid IA or do some adjustments this time around. Ah well.

Thanks again, folks. :)

6 minutes ago, Avallach said:

Ah, damn you are right. Now I am wondering if my game might go haywire while I go to the Underdark where bunch of Duergars reside. Or the Copper Coronet. 😑

If that's the case, I assume I just need to find out what file is the culprit again and edit the animation section to the non-LOW one in NearInfinity?

That's right. Have you used NearInfinity before, btw? It's very user-friendly, and just for this purpose, it is easy too. Just launch it, expand the ARE section in the left panel, then locate the problematic area. From there, in the Actors list, find your way to the .CRE files, and you'll be able to inspect/modify its animation. You just need to know the area code of that area. For example, the Copper Coronet is AR0406.ARE, and the initial Underdark area is AR2100.ARE.

Edited by ABlake
Just now, ABlake said:

That's right. Have you used NearInfinity before, btw? It's very user-friendly, and just for this purpose, it is easy too. Just launch it, expand the ARE section in the left panel, then locate the problematic area. From there, in the the Actors list, find your way to the .CRE files, and you'll be able to inspect/modify its animation. You just need to know the area code of that area. For example, the Copper Coronet is AR0406.ARE, and the initial Underdark area is AR2100.ARE.

Yeah I did use it a few times, although mostly just for extracting/checking various soundset variables, since I modded Mark Meer's soundbytes (Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc.) into the game and needed some point of reference xD

It's a very useful tool, which I'll probably start using a bit more now.

52 minutes ago, Vlan said:

Could be that one of the BGT fix packs corrected this. Hmh...

BGT Fixpacks ??? None such exist.

The bigger picture is that you just need to install Infinity Animations after all the mods that use _LOW animations for their .cre's which will fix it to not use any. And yes, if a BWP fixpack fixes a mod to not use the _LOW animations, then it fixes ..BUT it's NOT a BGT fixpack.