discrepancies between the component names in the readme and the installer

There are some discrepancies in the names of the components between the readme and the installer.

For example:

readme: Replace +1 arrows and other projectiles with Fine ones
installer: Replace +1 arrows with nonmagical "fine" ones

readme: Replace many magic weapons with fine ones
installer: Replace many +1 magical weapons with Fine ones

readme: Remove Arrows of Dispelling from stores
installer: Reduce the number of Arrows of Dispelling in stores

readme: Increase the power of cure and cause wound spells
installer: Increase the power of Cure Wounds and Cause Wounds spells to the level found in 3rd Edition D&D

readme: Greater Restoration and Lesser Restoration spells restore ability-score damage
installer: Restoration and Lesser Restoration spells heal ability-score damage

readme: More realistic wolves and dogs
installer: More realistic wolves and wild dogs

readme: Reduced reputation increase
installer: Decrease the rate at which reputation improves

readme: Thieves spend skill points in multiples of 5
installer: Thieves assign skill points in multiples of five

readme: Make mages' sequencers and contingencies into innate abilities
installer: Make spell sequencers and contingencies into innate abilities

readme: Initialise AI
installer: Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)

This is only for BG1EE, and even there, there are many more examples like that. I think that for the sake of consistency, and simply to be able to easily search for specific names or phrases in the readme, it would be nice to have the components use identical names. What do you think?

I would be willing to pull a GitHub merge request to standardise the names, but I would like to ask first:

1) Is such a pull request welcome?
2) If yes, which names should be used - the ones from the readme, or the ones from the installer?

The documentation is likely older than the current installer... so:

2) The installers.

3) You might want to put forward multiple requests, one each for each component ... so their approval is more easier to set.

1) Of course DavidW will have to answer this himself, but I would say that writing readme's is really .. if not booring, then at least particularly difficult to get truly motivated ... for the 32nd time around. So sprucing it will likely be very welcomed.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Thanks for picking this up: with one or two minor exceptions, I agree that the names should match up.

while I appreciate the offer of help, I don’t normally accept third-party pull requests - I’d rather make sure I’m 100% aware of everything that’s in the mod. (And in this case, the answer to ‘what name should be used?’ is ‘it depends’ and needs to be worked out on a case-by-case basis). I’ll put it on my to-do list,

2 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

The documentation is likely older than the current installer... so:

2) The installers.

3) You might want to put forward multiple requests, one each for each component ... so their approval is more easier to set.

1) Of course DavidW will have to answer this himself, but I would say that writing readme's is really .. if not booring, then at least particularly difficult to get truly motivated ... for the 32nd time around. So sprucing it will likely be very welcomed.

Thank you for the encouragement, but as I can see, DavidW wants to take this matter into his own hands, so I am just going to follow his opinion here.

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

Thanks for picking this up: with one or two minor exceptions, I agree that the names should match up.

while I appreciate the offer of help, I don’t normally accept third-party pull requests - I’d rather make sure I’m 100% aware of everything that’s in the mod. (And in this case, the answer to ‘what name should be used?’ is ‘it depends’ and needs to be worked out on a case-by-case basis). I’ll put it on my to-do list,

Thank you for a quick response. I do not want to be pushy or anything like that, hence I asked the question before actually doing anything. I did not actually intend to make anything up myself, just simply push the component names from the installer to the readme (or vice versa). If you want to check and modify all of them yourself, then of course I understand.

If you do not mind, I have another quick question though, related to the Polish translation. In the Polish setup.tra file, there are a lot of untranslated strings, and in some of the translated ones there are quite a few orthographic/grammatical errors. Do you have anyone working on those? If not, do you accept help with the translation? If yes, how would it be possible to help?

Edited by tomasz86

You weren't being pushy.

I absolutely take help with the translations (I am monolingual: all the translations are by other people.) Either use GitHub, or just attach corrected versions to a post here. (I probably find the latter easier but either is fine.)

On 4/21/2019 at 1:51 AM, DavidW said:

You weren't being pushy.

I absolutely take help with the translations (I am monolingual: all the translations are by other people.) Either use GitHub, or just attach corrected versions to a post here. (I probably find the latter easier but either is fine.)

Well, I like using git to be able to easily track and organize everything, so I hope that you will not mind that I have just made a new pull request to the GitHub repository. I have just tried to focus on the strings which are being used in the current version of the installer, so that the installer is actually fully translated into Polish. For now I have left the "divine mantle" bug mentioned in the other topic alone. That line will probably have to be translated too, but I will wait until you make the correction first.