Some thoughts

Scs is a mod I enjoy. But some components seems to be there just to negatively affect my enjoyment of the game and I'm actually curious about what other people think about them.

1) First component I have to mention is Dark Side Kobolds. Every time I reinstall Baldur's gate and do a megamod, I always forget to deselect it only to complain about it later. Dark side kobolds doesn't feel at all like SCS. This component actually does two things very well:

> makes me and my party (even on level 5) scared to go inside the mines, because no matter how much I prepare I usually get murdered by the huge numbers of kobolds residing here, forcing me not to play the main quest at all unless I'm level 7-8

> It seems a cheap way to actually make the Nashkel mines scary, instead of adding some proper party or guards that actually help Mulahey in his job. 

2) How does "Better calls for help" work? I ask because today I was in the basilisk area and I faced some gnolls. Some moments later and actually a minute later, gnolls came to me again. I felt like they actually moved from the far part of the map because I had just faced two gnolls in an area where I was staying still.

3) Can the component that actually blocks the door to Firewine Ruins be re-thought? The removal of the shortcut just forces you to go through a labirinth and actually removes the choice the developers gave the player. But... I guess even this one can be skipped if one just doesn't install the component.

8 minutes ago, Arthas said:

1) First component I have to mention is Dark Side Kobolds. Every time I reinstall Baldur's gate and do a megamod, I always forget to deselect it only to complain about it later. Dark side kobolds doesn't feel at all like SCS. This component actually does two things very well:

> makes me and my party (even on level 5) scared to go inside the mines, because no matter how much I prepare I usually get murdered by the huge numbers of kobolds residing here, forcing me not to play the main quest at all unless I'm level 7-8

> It seems a cheap way to actually make the Nashkel mines scary, instead of adding some proper party or guards that actually help Mulahey in his job. 

This is certainly one of the most controversial SCS components (something I hadn't at all anticipated when I wrote it) and definitely one to which the 'if you don't like it don't install it' advice applies. And absolutely, they're supposed to be scary - the idea (in part) is to correct the mismatch between the creepy/scary vibe you get from the miners and the underwhelming reality. But it's certainly takeable at much lower levels than 7-8 - I'm normally level 2-3 by the time I enter. (If you go straight to the mines from Candlekeep, and try to take them at level 1, you'll probably find it too hard, something the readme calls out.)

14 minutes ago, Arthas said:

2) How does "Better calls for help" work? I ask because today I was in the basilisk area and I faced some gnolls. Some moments later and actually a minute later, gnolls came to me again. I felt like they actually moved from the far part of the map because I had just faced two gnolls in an area where I was staying still.

This is how it's supposed to work (and I believe it's currently working, though I may check again):

(1) Any creature shouts when it sees you. Any creature of the same faction that hears that shout will move towards the party.

(2) For intelligent creatures (e.g., gnolls, hobgoblins - but not spiders or skeletons) any creature that hears a shout will give a differently coded shout. Any same-faction creature that hears the differently-coded shout will move towards the party, but won't shout in turn.

There are also some range subtleties. The idea is that if you run into unintelligent creatures, the whole group will attack you; if you run into intelligent creatures, the whole group and any other groups in earshot will attack you; but you won't have the whole map descend on you. (In very rare cases - notably the bandit camp - 'the whole map descends on you' is intended behavior: in those cases, anyone who sees you will call for help, anyone hearing that call will call in the same way, and so on.)

19 minutes ago, Arthas said:

3) Can the component that actually blocks the door to Firewine Ruins be re-thought? The removal of the shortcut just forces you to go through a labirinth and actually removes the choice the developers gave the player. But... I guess even this one can be skipped if one just doesn't install the component.

Sure. Here's the thinking. There are two reasons for this:

1) in-game logic: SCS is about smarter opponents, and the unguarded tunnel is an incredibly stupid gap in the ogre mage's defenses.

2) external logic: the Firewine Ruins labyrinth is one of my favorite side-quests in the game, and I dislike having to metagame to avoid 'accidentally' discovering the side entrance.

Having said which, although it's skippable, it's embedded in a larger component. I could code an ini override easily enough if there's demand.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:20 PM, DavidW said:

Having said which, although it's skippable, it's embedded in a larger component. I could code an ini override easily enough if there's demand.

Yes please. I hate that dungeon with a passion. If pathfinding in the game wasn't so horrific, it'd be bearable, but....

Got another few notes for different components. I talk only from a consistency issue, not from a tactics issue. So... your choice really.

Abazigal Lair: I like very much the addition of the yellow dragon. I like also the addition of the other dragons together with Abizagal.

Don't like at all the:
> removal of the rope - feels forced and is used just a way to make you come back just to face X dragons that don't listen to any reason (killing two is ok, the third starts to become a little too much, the forth, that actually is scared of abazigal feels really silly given that he has not even the geas applied on himself).
Also they don't drop any good item, nor scales. Scream "added content".
If a dragon was scared of Abazigal, after seeing you four times killing his brethren, he would wish you luck or actually come in the fight to help you killing Abazigal.

> No point in these demons appearing after you got the breath potions.
******************************************************************************************************************************************************