A crash while attempting to start a new game

This may or may not be mod-related, but it's definitely something I've done to the installation. Both of them. It might have happened to you in just the same way, and then you may be able to tell me the reason. I have the Enhanced Edition installed in two different folders. One is the version I constantly change and update with my mods, the other is relatively clean, I don't touch it. Both use the same resources folder in My Documents, the same saved games, and it helps sometimes to be able to load a game from an unmodified installation to see how that looks and feels without my changes. As I said, I don't install anything in the clean folder, but somehow both of the games crash when I click on "New Game" or "Pregenerate Character." Something gets in the way of character generation, looks like. Since both games do it, it must be something common to them, but I've tried removing the "save" folder, it didn't help, tried removing the "bpsave" folder - and the crash started to give me an error message about informing Beamdog instead of just crashing silently. That's the only half a clue I've got.

The saves, when I returned them, still worked. But I can't start a new game.

Unless I'm mistaken, but this may be the same issue I had when I tried to keep a clean copy of BG2 and a modded copy at the same time. Basically, the problem is that the location of the installation is stored in the Registry. So even when I launch the vanilla game, it would still try to use the chitin.key and maybe other stuff from the modded copy. And vice versa, depending on which copy's location is stored in your Registry. This is why I eventually moved the clean copy to my old laptop which I don't really use anymore, and then installed a vanilla copy of the EE version, so I can still compare certain things that are not touched by the EE version.

As an update, it's definitely something inside ONE of the override folders, some changed files, that cause BOTH setups to fail to start a new game. I don't know how that's possible, but if I rename the modded installation's override folder, i.e. virtually delete it, new games can be started in both folders. The other override doesn't have any bearing on this if renamed.