Sign in to follow this  
Arthas

Playing the gameeeee

Posted (edited)

Jarno Mikkola (I can't tag you and I don't know the reason)

Khalid is a relatively good tank... but realistically he is a better stone statute for the party. And replaced by Branwen. So yes, you really should have two healers... not just a half of a one. And it's Dynaheir.

"Reastically" doesn't match the expectation of realism for in-game-reasons. Do you think Jaheira would tolerate his husband to be petrified and dropped out of the group? The player can do that, but I doubt very much that in-game charname could do that. As such, the canon party is the one I mentioned. 

@n-ghost
You are not supposed to be hit by anything in BG1 part of the game (exceptions I can think of are the Air Aspect inside Durlag's Tower and PnP Helmed Horrors from aTweaks, if you use them). Get your ranged weapons up and running and don't try to bum rush any wizards unless you have arrows of dispelling to spare. Jaheira isn't there to heal, she's your CC bot. 

I've got a level 8 jaheira and I didn't find any cc worth mentioning that she has, apart from two spells, charm person and call woodland beings. And the cc bot can be done with vanilla enemies. I got some mods that adds enemies that are pretty cheesy (they got MR) and as such, jaheira is useless.
Beside, I got two ranged character (Jaheira+Imoen), Dinhaeir (who just casts spell and I didn't give her any weapon), me (ranger) + Minsc (armed with the free action sword from spider forest) + Khalid

Edited by Arthas

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Arthas said:

Jarno Mikkola (I can't tag you and I don't know the reason)

Probably due to the name containing a SPACE.

Yeah, I am quite sure Khalid really hates you in BGII when you romance his woman... ouh, he is dead, never mind.

That's right, the thing with Petrification is, the character never gets dropped out of the party, they just keep-on keeping-on, just outside of the party.

Minsc should be using the sword as a secondary, as he can use a bow as the primary. In BG1. Or a spear.. ouh yeah, 1d6... 🤣 really not the best option there.

CC bot refers to being a Close Quater fighter... yes the combat is a relative term here, but I am pretty sure the term was originally CQ bot, so... with druidic Polymorph, so no casting anyways in combat... now that's the correct use of the term.

PS, good going with the new topic.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

12 hours ago, Arthas said:

I've got a level 8 jaheira and I didn't find any cc worth mentioning that she has, apart from two spells, charm person and call woodland beings. And the cc bot can be done with vanilla enemies. I got some mods that adds enemies that are pretty cheesy (they got MR) and as such, jaheira is useless.

Entangle is a level 1 druid spell, isn't it? Don't forget Web, Dyna can cast that when she gets lvl 2 wizard spells.

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 10:17 AM, Arthas said:

Beside, I got two ranged character (Jaheira+Imoen), Dinhaeir (who just casts spell and I didn't give her any weapon), me (ranger) + Minsc (armed with the free action sword from spider forest) + Khalid

You can setup quite a few combos with this party.

1) Entangle + Minsc & sword.

2) Web + Minsc & sword.

3) Web + Prot. vs Normal Missiles to tank/kill archers.

4) Minor Globe of Invulnerability + Mirror Image + Prot. vs Normal Missiles to tank mages. Dispels must be dodged OR you can use those defenses AFTER being hit by dispel.

You can get away with dualing Imoen to mage at level 7 if you play BGT and grind vigorously/have a good chunk of game to complete yet.

And seriously, get all your characters a ranged weapon, even if they don't have any pips to spare. Those make all the difference before BG2 (and sometimes, even then). Normal sling costs like 2g at vendors.

Edited by n-ghost

Posted (edited)

FYI, if you wish to tank (i.e. kill in a 1vs1 melee) a final boss of BG1 semi-comfortably, you need to sustain around -9 AC/-1 THAC0 on a character without Mirror Images/Stoneskin, or more if you can. Otherwise, it's a ranged kiting (and he also sports around 50% MR). 

Edited by n-ghost

2 hours ago, n-ghost said:

FYI, if you wish to tank (i.e. kill in a 1vs1 melee) a final boss of BG1 semi-comfortably, you need to sustain around -9 AC/-1 THAC0 on a character without Mirror Images/Stoneskin, or more if you can. Otherwise, it's a ranged kiting (and he also sports around 50% MR). 

Nope, that's the Tales of the Sword Coast Sarevok, the original BG1 has a 100% magic resistance, more hitpoints and far more tougher to kill anyways. Cause he is the end boss, but not so anymore in the BGT, as they gutted him(in TotSC). But there's a mod for that.

Entangle and the sword is nice, until you run to a melee opponent and get slashed to pieces. The Sword is a good secondary weapon.. as Minsc is a ranger, guess at what he is best at ? At ranged combat(in the BG1 portion). 

Thanks to each one of you for the suggestions. I will tell you, your tips are very much welcome. S

> ome of the issues I've been meeting are due to my equipment - I got some items from mods that do not provide the immunities they suggest in their description and as such, I got surprised more than once in more than one teamfight.

> Beside, having a party makes SCS really really harder. I remember to have always played a solo Barbarian and having at best difficulties against the druid in the big tree in cloakwood, but nothing else.

> I will start using bows. The fact is, I never use them because they remind me of the fact that I have to farm arrows off enemies and I don't like that at all. Is there any way to buy 999 arrows of each type, even if a mod adds that? Because when I check the merchants they have almost no arrows.

> next time I install BG, should I switch Imoen to Swashbuckler?

On 5/9/2019 at 6:41 AM, southfla79 said:

I think Tweaks Anthology has a component that increases store item stacks.

Tweaks does increase the stacks, but only for normal ammo--arrows, bolts, bullets, darts, throwing daggers, and throwing axes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this