concept for a new BP-BGT Worldmap style mod

no matter what I've tried I didn't manage to make IWD-in-EET areas look good (or fit at all in the available space) on BP-BGT-Worldmap (some mods compatible with EET are dependent upon it, which forces me to make IWD-in-EET compatible with it as well). Recently I've found a new worldmap art published on deviantart that could be used as a base for a BP-BGT Worldmap mod replacement. Here is a quick draft of it (edit: new icons placement by Istfemer)

worldmapsvkb9.jpg

If this map ends up being released as a mod it will be meant to be installed after any mod that add new areas, so that it can detect them and automatically expand WMP file as needed (without need of other mods to patch it).

Worth it or do you prefer BP-BGT Worldmap? Maybe the map should be made a bit bigger to allow more space between areas? Any feedback is welcome.

-----------------------------

Here is the original map: https://www.deviantart.com/stratomunchkin/art/Forgotten-Realms-The-Sword-Coast-781410125

Sebastian Breit, who kindly provided me unlabelled image, is a Freelance Map Designer: https://www.artstation.com/stratomunchkin

And as a reminder here is how default EET worldmap (which doesn't have a problem with IWD-in-EET areas placement) looks like: 

edit: added new image with icons placement by Istfemer.

Edited by K4thos

This look significantly better than the old WM. I like it. The more space between areas could be valid if you take into consideration translated location names.

after checking it in game the initial size was definitely not optimal - BG1 areas were really close to each other, which didn't look right. Here is a second attempt with map size 5632x6144. Showcase with only EET + IWD-in-EET icons:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj78rz1xdfzcauf/worldmap_big.jpg

Edited by K4thos

This looks splendid, and far more geographically accurate thane the old BP Worldmap. It always bugged me how off some distances and locations appeared on that one (that stretch of land between Waterdeep and Neverwinter being cut, for example), despite the lovely design. I think the decision back then was done to limit excessive need for scrolling across areas not used in any mods, but with the better resolution and GUI I understand EE has eliminated that need, right?

EDIT: Should this be done I would also suggest moving Watcher's Keep to the Marching Mountains or some other place further south than the promontory next to Murann (?) the BP Worldmap located it on. Most players explore Watcher's Keep during the ToB portion of the game, so this would make the detour a little less outlandish.

Edited by Isewein

I cleaned up some of the files from my dropbox and don't have a copy of those example fullsize maps right now.

Either way the concept didn't receive much feedback (from which I assume there is not much enthusiasm for a completely new worldmap mod) and it turned out 1 of the supported mods places areas far beyond the working area presented here (near Thay), so this idea is currently put on hold. I've managed to fit the IWD-in-EET areas on the BP-BGT Worldmap after all, so there is no immediate need for a replacement.

Edited by K4thos
19 hours ago, K4thos said:

I cleaned up some of the files from my dropbox and don't have a copy of those example fullsize maps right now.

Either way the concept didn't receive much feedback (from which I assume there is not much enthusiasm for a completely new worldmap mod) and it turned out 1 of the supported mods places areas far beyond the working area presented here (near Thay), so this idea is currently put on hold. I've managed to fit the IWD-in-EET areas on the BP-BGT Worldmap after all, so there is no immediate need for a replacement.

Now that is too bad, because I loved this new map idea. Maybe I should post here often so you see that support? haha. 

Love the work you do @K4thos

The attached map doesn't look at all cartoony to me.
It looks pleasant and topographically ACCURATE for once, unlike the original SoA & ToB maps or this EET map.

I don't agree with the placement of several area icons on this map, but that's a problem I have with *all* maps made to date for SoA/ToB/BGT/EET.

-----

My (possibly subjective) criticisms & suggestions:

BG 1: Tales of the Sword Coast & Siege of Dragonspear

1. Balduran's Isle area isn't on the map. Which one of the islands west of Baldur's Gate should be Balduran's Isle?