Basis for armor spellcasting miscast chance?

Guest EdekaReweAldiLidl

Guest EdekaReweAldiLidl

Hi, I'm just curious. What's the basis for the miscast chance of the armors? Particularly, why is it easier to cast in full plate armor than in splint mail or plate mail when full plates are heavier?

1 hour ago, Guest EdekaReweAldiLidl said:

Hi, I'm just curious. What's the basis for the miscast chance of the armors? Particularly, why is it easier to cast in full plate armor than in splint mail or plate mail when full plates are heavier?

Well, the fact that a full plate mail is "heavier"... is really not true. See you have to wear something else besides the vest, in your arms, legs and knees, elbows etc.

A full plate mail covers the whole nine yards, but a plate mail doesn't... and so, tell it to that guy.

Guest EdekaReweAldiLidl

In game, a normal Full Plate Armor is 20 lbs. heavier than a normal Plate Armor. Based on the tweak, Full Plates have 5% better chance to successfully cast spells than Plates/Splints. I just found it odd.

The source was PnP, and it's based mainly on how much the armor restricts movement. IIRC, the justification was something like suits of full plate are typically custom-tailored for a specific person and, as such, would not restrict your movement less than an average plate or splint.

However, it's been years since I actually looked at the source for this.

6 hours ago, CamDawg said:

... and it's based mainly on how much the armor restricts movement. IIRC, the justification was something like suits of full plate are typically custom-tailored for a specific person and, as such, would not restrict your movement less than an average plate or splint.

Right, and with this, we make armors that don't have any restrictions at all. Or at least, the higher +x armors give less penalty. Including thief skills too.

As this is the reason why none of the games armors have race-size restrictions, and one BG1 mod had a race restriction added in the non-magical armors.