difficulty curve problem

Guest synthphase

I was thinking, perhaps... but not sure if what I'm going to say it's totally bonkers... maybe, so don't roast me in that case, please :)

When you land on the lone Ogre Mage encounter you only see an empty area with no enemies, so if you don't know what's going on your natural reaction would be, probably "Hmm.. something bugged" and you move on leaving the area immediately... but the Ogre Mage stays alive... if later, the game reuses that same random encounter area, would it be possible for the new encounter to overlap with the Ogre Mage? In this case the two Ogrillons, plus the previously spawned Ogre Mage?

Edited by Leeux
missing word

This seems to be the answer - coupled with SCS leveling up the ogre mage of course.

From comments about the unofficial BGT fork:

Restored the classic BG1 area spawns based on the correct formula adjusted for the BG2 engine:
BGT used a spawn group system devised by King Diamond back in the early days. Unfortunately, without all the research data and tools available today, the author had made incorrect assumptions regarding the area spawn points. King Diamond's system erroneously spawned all the creatures from the given spawn point slots together at the same time, which resulted in strange combinations of a fixed number of monsters, rather than same-type creatures in scaling numbers.

from

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60540-general-attack-script-not-working/#entry607260

The waylaid encounters are different. They're fixed spawns appearing only at a certain time of the day, e.g. if you're in the Canyon2 waylaid encounter (AR4801) at ~6:30-8:30 an ogre mage spawns at coordinates 404.340, ~8:30-10:30 two ogrillons spawn at 76.184 and 363.186 respectively.

BGT doesn't change such encounters and they aren't affected by the spawn point issues.

Well, having two ogrillons and an ogre mage both spawn at the same time sounds exactly like "erroneously spawned all the creatures from the given spawn point slots together at the same time." 

If BGT didn't do it, and I highly doubt BG2 Fixpack, BG1 Unfinished Business, BG2 Unfinished Business, Tweaks Anthology, nor WideScreen Mod did it, so that just leaves the Worldmap mod and SCS mod.

Here is an example in my non-SCS game.  Is this a normal mix?  I noticed one species appeared when the screen loaded (I think the gibberlings were first) and then a moment later, the other species (dogs) joined them when I un-paused.

c8UM6yr.png

IJrgXPt.png

Edited by chuft

OK, I think I know what's going on. Looks like an engine bug... both in the classic BG1 and BG2.

For example:

In BG1, you're in Coast Way (AR2800) and you leave the area at 3:00 PM in-game time. You get waylaid; it took you 4 hours to get there, so now it's 7:00 PM. At this time of the day you're supposed to encounter only bandits; however, you get attacked by both bandits and half-ogres. The half-ogres are supposed to spawn around 2:00-4:00 PM according to the ARE file. So, it looks like the spawns appear before (and after) the game properly adjusts the time. You get the 3:00 PM spawns, increment time, and the 7:00 PM spawns. Here's the proof.

You were right, chuft -- thanks for going through the trouble (again). Let's try to figure out what to do with the waylaid areas.

Edited by skellytz

Well the question then is, is this a bug.  If it has been in the game the whole time, then maybe it was intended to work that way.

What puzzles me is that people seemed amazed that I had encountered an ogre mage and ogrillons at the same time, as if that never happens, but if it's an engine bug, then it must have always have happened that way since the game was released.

I played BGT a couple of times and I don't recall that ever happening to me 😕   Thing is, it was always installed it with the old BWS.

Could it be possible that somehow the BWS/BWP included something that fixed that? (it included several fixes and patches IIRC.)

Though, to be honest, it's all a bit hazy at this point, last time I played classic BG with BGT installed was quite a long time ago, probably more than 4 years... sadly I don't have it installed anymore, so I can't quickly test to be sure.

Edited by Leeux
forgot to mark sentence as a question :)
6 minutes ago, chuft said:

Well the question then is, is this a bug.  If it has been in the game the whole time, then maybe it was intended to work that way.

Yeah, it's not the first engine bug that carried over to BG2 that seemingly nobody had noticed for 15 years. The area files clearly dictate these actors (creatures) should only appear at a specific time of the day.