Suggestion: More dangerous ankhegs + Zombie Infestation quest

I've always found the northern part of the BG1 map kinda boring and easy with lots of free experience. Would it be possible to

1. Buff up the Ankhegs so that venturing into their hive is actually dangerous for lvl 4-5+ parties

2. Make the zombie Infestation quest in the northern farm area more fun by adding more zombies or just making them one big horde (like the gibberling horde encounter, which is fun) instead of having to track them down one by one which is both tedious and poses no danger.

Sorry if this out of scope for the mod. :)

One could... but really, if you want a challenge, just hip yourself there earlier... like say level 1-2 half party. Aka, you got Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, yourself and maybe Ajantis if you can find him... and no, peaking behind to the veil of memory. The zombie map was always a waste of space... but, it has no other points either, except the +1 reputation you could get from, it.

Definitely an area that needed/s more attention.

Map layout is kinda ass too, because you can't access the lower right half of it.

One could maybe add a Zombie Lord / Mummy (from BG2 for a really spicy challenge) to the area, which has been unearthed by the farmers, it being the cause of the Zombie Infestation (something about an evil curse, yada yada). Maybe a nice little addition for the "bgqe" mod. ;)

Edited by Vlan
1 hour ago, Vlan said:

Could I get more details on the mod?

It's still a work in progress, but here goes:

Enhanced Ankhegs: Ankhegs get 18/50 strength and will close in for physical attacks instead of making ranged ones.  When they lose half their HP they will use their acid breath weapon (8d4, save vs. breath for half) once.  Their level is also raised to 8, making them immune to Sleep.  (This is P&P actually, ankhegs cannot continuously spit acid like they do in BG and the biggest ankhegs have 8 HD.)  This component also enhances the ankheg pit, there will be way more ankhegs varying between 3 and 8 HD and more will spawn continuously off screen.  The pit is now fairly dangerous even for level 5-6 characters.  (Hint: Bring scrolls of acid protection.)

Enhanced Zombie Farm: The zombies are given the stats of ju-ju zombies, making them a bit more dangerous.  (I'm still working out what else to do here, I was thinking of adding an encounter with a hag coven, but a zombie lord is also a good idea.)

In general, I try to make encounters I think are too easy a bit more challenging, and I fix a few monsters that are radically different from how they are meant to be.  Sorry, haven't gotten around to making a full readme yet, but it's on my to-do list.