Baldur's Gate 3 Announcement Teaser

So I've spent pretty much all morning reading everything that I can. Here's my tl;dr summary:

• The game's going to be 5e but, like BG and BG2, they're adapting the rules (with WotC's blessing) to be more CRPG friendly.
  • It's going to be available on Google's new Stadia and for the PC (Steam and GOG already have it listed). One implication of Stadia would be that it would be difficult (impossible?) to mod.
  • They are being fairly non-committal on gameplay questions, notably, whether it'll be turn-based or real-time with pause or whether it'll be isometric.
  • Release would be 2020, possibly even 2021.
  • Larian has tripled its staff to take on the project.
  • It's set 100 years after the events of BG2
12 minutes ago, CamDawg said:

...It's going to be available on Google's new Stadia and for the PC (Steam and GOG already have it listed). One implication of Stadia would be that it would be difficult (impossible?) to mod.

Yeah, the Stadia -version could be hard to mod... but who's not moded ES5:Skyrim... and it's available on Nintendo Switch.. meaning that the different versions could be very different. The Stadia could be the mobile... and the PC version could be VERY mod friendly. So you are just going to the old track and miss the whole point of it. See for example, Pillars of Eternity's mod number one: Infinity Engine -mod.  And that's on: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows(with mods), Linux and Mac OS.

Cheesecake, it's like all the machines worked exactly alike, with just different software rolling on the background.

9 hours ago, CamDawg said:

So I've spent pretty much all morning reading everything that I can. Here's my tl;dr summary:

• The game's going to be 5e but, like BG and BG2, they're adapting the rules (with WotC's blessing) to be more CRPG friendly.
  • It's going to be available on Google's new Stadia and for the PC (Steam and GOG already have it listed). One implication of Stadia would be that it would be difficult (impossible?) to mod.
  • They are being fairly non-committal on gameplay questions, notably, whether it'll be turn-based or real-time with pause or whether it'll be isometric.
  • Release would be 2020, possibly even 2021.
  • Larian has tripled its staff to take on the project.
  • It's set 100 years after the events of BG2

Cant elves live past 100?

Let's hope this won't be a complete goody-two shoes game with only Lawful Good/Neutral companions trying to save the world.  D:OS2 companions were fine, but I do wonder if Larian is actually able to write / create true dark characters (Neutral / Chaotic Evil) like Shar-Teel or Xzar. I am really sceptical about the complete setting and writing, when it comes to Larian. Also, let's hope that they don't fuck up the items again. The item randomization in D:OS2 was terrible.

Edited by Vlan
20 hours ago, CoM_Solaufein said:

Yes

17 hours ago, Psionica said:

Good then there is a chance that Jaheira will be in the new game :)

The thing is, that doesn't mean that a Half-elf can.

But, according to the source, Abdel Adrian does live to be 136 years old, being 25 at the start of the adventure... so he should now, be the Grand Duke of Baldur's Gate. Yey. 🤪

5 hours ago, Ardanis said:

Oh yeah. Having seen a bit of DD2 and DOS1 writing I don't wanna touch anything with Larian written over it with a ten foot pole.

DoS2 writing does seem to be more mature than DoS1 (which indeed was a bit gooffy) and I did really enjoy this game. I do think though, that BG3 art style should be completely different and writing even a bit darker than in BG2. I don't mind funny easter egg here and there, this was after all a core part of both BG1 and BG2 (although more often in BG1). 

Perhaps I'll check out the Divine games out to see how Larian is. Since my $ is limited I generally just stick with X game companies or X game series and haven't really branched out. I see one of my favorite VOs Alix Wilton Regan did voice work in both games.

Do any of the original developers of the BG games work for Larian?