How do I update old mods?

Hello,

Its been a while but I've been wanting to get back into BG lately. Unfortunately the original version of the game doesn't run on my new computer, so I'm left with only the enhanced edition as an option. But I have a lot of old mods that are not compatible with EE. Can anyone tell me if its possible and how to update these old mods? they are mostly Kits but there are a few joinable NPCs and other mods. I'd really like to keep these mods but the authors are no longer updating them.

They are mostly kits from other sites. The mods I get from here tend to work just fine (so long as Siege of Dragonspear isn't installed). One such mod I'm trying to get to work is a fighter kit called the Samurai from Sorcerer's Place. I tried to start with it because its a simple mod with not a lot on it. Unfortunately I am not good at modding despite my best efforts and was hoping for a dumbed down tutorial for the modding challenged. I've actually looked at the post you linked before. I saw it back when I first got EE but forgot about it until now. I even managed to dig up an old folder that had my previous attempt to edit the samurai, I was never able to figure it out and got frustrated. The whole tutorial just leaves me confused, I have no idea what any of it means. I'm not even sure what part of the file I'm supposed to be editing.

Okay I figured part of it out. The reason I was so confused was that the Readme wasn't displaying properly, after figuring that out I got some instructions I was able to follow. I've now got an idea of what its all talking about. The fl#add_kit_ee.tpa is a file I need to add to the mod's folder and then I need to edit the TP2 to recognize it. I've put that together as best as I can figure but its still not working. When I try to install it I get the following:

"ERROR: fl#add_kit_ee could not find the kit in kitlist.2da

ERROR: [kitlist.2da] -> [overide] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ERROR: fl#add_kit_ee could not find the kit in kitlist.2da"))"

Any idea what I'm still missing? I'm reposting the mod with my edits for clarity.

Samurai.7z

First, it is better to name Kit label in upper case :SAMURAI.

// appended to CLASWEAP.2da
  ~Samurai                1           1           1           1           1           1           1           1~

==>

~SAMURAI                1           1           1           1           1           1           1           1~

Second you forget a variable in fl#add_kit_ee function:

LAF ~fl#add_kit_ee~
    STR_VAR
        kit_name = ~SAMURAI~
END

Third: you should traify the mod, so that I might give you a French translation...

Edited by Gwendolyne
add code
13 hours ago, Jdracous said:

I don't know what traify is I'm afraid

See the readme.

13 hours ago, Jdracous said:

but I don't know French anyway. Unless your asking because you want a French version. In that case I wouldn't mind trying.

That's what he's suggesting.  If you traify the mod, it allows it to be easily translated into multiple languages.

11 hours ago, Psionica said:

As far as Mods, if u have one installed say Amber and a new version comes out, and u are currently playing with said mod in game. Can u just install the new version over the old one? Have to start a new game?

Best practice is to not update mods during a playthrough.  Either continue with the version you already have installed, or if you update it, start a new game.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:18 AM, Psionica said:

As far as Mods, if u have one installed say Amber and a new version comes out, and u are currently playing with said mod in game. Can u just install the new version over the old one? Have to start a new game?

And just to make sure this is not a misunderstanding: if for some reason you do want to install a new mod version, always deinstall the old one first, remove the old mod package and tp2 (if the latter is not inside the mod folder), before installing the new mod.

15 hours ago, jastey said:

And just to make sure this is not a misunderstanding: if for some reason you do want to install a new mod version, always deinstall the old one first, remove the old mod package and tp2 (if the latter is not inside the mod folder), before installing the new mod.

If I do that and don't start a new game with the old one bug?