installing more than 255 kits

I just got this error when trying to install a kitpack on BG2EE:

ERROR: Failure("The game requires ToBEx or GemRB to support more than 256 kits.")

I pushed the install above the 256 number on purpose.  I'm trying to test something.  Any idea how I can make Weidu ignore the limit, at least temporarily?

Well, sure. If it's a marker file that would be easy. Or even a MOD_IS_INSTALLED condition, I could probably spoof that locally. But I don't know what Weidu looks for. So I'm asking. 

Would it be possible to replace the ADD_KIT code by INCLUDE'ing a custom version, in order to remove this condition? I thought I saw it on github once, but now I can't find it. 

Edited by subtledoctor
On 7/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, deratiseur said:

255 kits ? Do you REALLY need all these kits  in a game with 6 guys in a team ?

Well, the question originates from a divine kitpack which endeavors to add kits for lots of deities... and it turns out, there are LOTS of deities to consider in the Forgotten Realms.  Not to mention, kits for race-specific deities add to the total number of kits even if the amount available to any particular race does not increase.  Finally, the mod makes various kits available not just to single-class priests, but to multiclass priests as well.  If the Nightcloak of Shar kit can be used with clerics, cleric/thieves, and cleric/mages, then that single kit is using three of the 255 available slots.  Do that for every deity, and you approach the limit pretty fast. 

Beyond that mod, I had the idea to make kits available to multiclass characters.  My NPC_EE mod already does this, but it gives single-class kits to multiclass characters.  For a few technical reasons, this is not ideal. I am toying with the idea of having the mod clone all single-class kits to every applicable multiclass combination.  So there would be separate "Swashbuckler" kits for thieves, fighter/thieves, mage/thieves, and cleric/thieves.  This would allow players maximum flexibility in choosing a kit, and be superior in various ways to the existing solutions like L1NPCs and EEKeeper.  But it would increase the number of kits in the game by several hundred, without even changing what the player sees and without even getting into mod kits.

So the recap, it's not because I need 600 kits in my game - I'm quite comfortable with about 150.  But the best way to make 150 kits available to the player means having ~600 kits installed, behind the scenes.  I think I can make that work well.  But I need to test my idea, and Weidu currently doesn't even let me test it out.

Edited by subtledoctor
14 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

If the Nightcloak of Shar kit can be used with clerics, cleric/thieves, and cleric/mages, then that single kit is using three of the 255 available slots. 

Or instead of the 3, you could just install the one you actually would like to use on an NPC and so that's 1 out of the 3... or actually that's one per paty member ... and in a big game... that's about 40 kits at most+ the original kits, as you have about that many NPCs you take on a 6 member party... in a cheesed megamod. Yes, that's why you don't make a kitpacks to install dozens and dozens of kits at ones, but each one by one. Want to see such a mod, here.