Ease-Of-Use AI issue

Guest OrBz

Recently installed SCS and am a first time user. Having problem where the Ease-of-Use AI option in character script keeps resetting to it's default setup within like ten seconds  of just walking my party around. This is no problem for my melee characters but I have Jan using Firetooth and Edwin using the Boomerang Dagger set to Ranged. I set the Stratagem AI to "prefer ranged" with them and then go back to playing.... after taking a few steps they both switch to melee and when i look in the script it has reverted to "prefer melee". The issue has happened one time only with Viconia too but i think that's because an enemy attacked her in melee whereas is Jan and Edwin it's all the time they switch back. It feels like the whole AI is just resetting itself every few seconds. Once or twice ive had Jan keep his crossbow out for a long while with no apparent reason as to why. 

I'm perfectly okay with playing the game with no party AI i just thought this was an issue with SCS that maybe has to be looked at?

I am playing Steam version of BG2EE (so i assume is up to date). The only modification i have made is increasing Pathing Node Count and Increasing game speed by half so everything runs faster (mostly for character move speed). When i installed SCS i installed practically every option, i think the only things i left was Sequencers becoming innate abilities because it broke sequencers for me (I clicked the innate ability button but it would never cast the spell so i reverted the option through setup).

Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated :D

On 3/3/2023 at 7:36 PM, Guest Gigglestomp said:

I'm also having this issue with the toggle for defensive group Buffs becoming untoggled and not working.

(Belated reply) This is intentional. defensive group Buffs isn't a toggle. You select it, your party cast defensive buffs, you're done. If you want buffs again, select it again. (The ease-of-use AI is to make it easier to manually command your party. If you just want to let the AI decide itself whether to use buffs, use the Beamdog scripts or a different third-party script.)

I have the same issue.
My Ranger Imoen after a few steps change her bow to dagger that i gave her. Even if in the script i select box with Prefer Ranged weapons.
When i recruit Edwin in Nashkel after 1 sec he cast iron skin, stone skin etc. In city where are no enemies etc. WHY? I dont want this.
All recruited nps starts with this Ease-of-use party AI. Why? I dont want them to do it.

My question is.. how to constantly delete this component: "Ease-of-use party AI" from my game?
I cant start all over again. uninstall this componenet with setup doesnt work. After Uninstalation it is there again.

How to edit game strings to start with some standard scripts insead of this one that i dont know how to use?

Please help me today cuz i wanna play EET again in the eveining :D

AI scripts often serve well but, in the end, they all are rigid rules applied to fluid situations. So them can't always replace player will, only help him the best they can.

said so:

probably u did it but, since often cars stop because out of fuel.... Are u sure your ranger had arrows?

u could try to unselect both preferred weapons option, so, teorically, companions should keep the weapon u selected. (at least for characters you want they use always a specific type of attack... eg mages should never use melee... better run, in case)

about auto casting defense spells, a solution could be to select it just in wilderness or dangerous areas. (but it's an annoying solution, i know)

teorically there's no need to uninstall easy of  use... it should be enough to uncheck it and\or choose another AI

U can take a look or ask around to see if someone uploaded another IA mod, too,  that suit you better (but the only perfect AI was Hal 9000, and he exterminated the crew...)

Edited by Zaramorte

When I encountered problems like the ones reported here, it was because I bound camera scrolling to WASD, and was inadvertently hitting the SCS 'ease of use party ai' hotkey for switching to melee, which is D.

To resolve this issue while keeping WASD for camera movement, edit the stratagems.ini file in your stratagems folder as follows:

[hotkeys]
hot_key_A=A
hot_key_B=B
hot_key_C=C
hot_key_D=D
hot_key_E=E
hot_key_F=F
hot_key_K=K
hot_key_S=S
hot_key_V=V

To:

[hotkeys]
;hot_key_A=A
;hot_key_B=B
;hot_key_C=C
;hot_key_D=D
;hot_key_E=E
;hot_key_F=F
;hot_key_K=K
;hot_key_S=S
;hot_key_V=V

...then reinstall SCS's 'ease of use party ai' component.

My recommendation for SCS is to leave the hotkeys off by default, as they likely convince a lot of players they are encountering bugs, and cannot be remapped without reinstalling.