BGEE Companions

I have a question and I'm not sure why this isn't an option - it was my original hope in playing EET.  Why is it that the companions that aren't impacted by the storyline advancement eliminated once SOD starts?  My hope was that I could dismiss Kagain before the final battle with Sarevok, then pick him up after the World Map is reopened in SOD.  Instead, all of the BG1 NPCs go away - there were a bunch in the FAI, and I even 'saw' Xzar and Montaron in the Belching Dragon before they vanished because, SOD.  

I like the continuity perspective (Misnc and Dynaheir are dead in SOD, as they were in BG, so were not in the Three Old Kegs in SOD) in part, but I should be able to pick up old companions from BG1 in the same manner.  It just doesn't make sense to me that you can't in SOD, or even port them over to BG2, since we can access the same areas.

5 hours ago, The_Rock said:

What do you mean, Minsc is dead in SOD? I wasn't aware of this fact. I thought only Dynaheir died at the end of BG1. Is he resurrected prior to Shadows of Amn?

Kevmo probably killed Dyn+Minsc at BG1 part, so they are still dead.

Minsc and the Ed-lose are alive in the normal BG2, Dyn is dead, that's the "official canon" ... and if you kill either in BG1 portion, EET will kill the BG2 char. Don't know if there's Mass Effect replacements.

Like say Minsc is dead... there's a berserker dwarf in the cell next door, and he gets angry and you need to deal with him. And what of Ed-lose's thief contact.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:05 AM, The_Rock said:

Is that the "official" canon? No wonder I can't stand it.

Not sure that's clear. In SoD, Minsc and Dynaheir are alive. But, if they die in your EET game during the BG:EE part, they will stay dead because of EET's continuity. The only NPCs reappearing are Imoen and Edwin because of their role as quest givers in BGII afaik.

And then you can talk to unknown berserker X in ID about his hamster pet?

This doesn't sound useful at all. Plus, you do not seem to be aware of the amount of modding work necessary for this.

Also, for me this would be highly 4th wall breaking, as well.

It's a bit like Anomen's quest having different happenings dependent on the player's choices, which is real bad design imho. I'm glad there is a mod to fix this.

1 hour ago, jastey said:

And then you can talk to unknown berserker X in ID about his hamster pet?

That would require: him being a party member and him being alive, which he won't be. Alright, yes, technically you could run away from them.

It just requires the same thing that's already in EET, check if the party member is alive at the end of SoD, in addition of placing the new character in the case the answer is a no... and a simple dialog to go over the hurdle, which he then attacks the party, being consumed by his rage to get out of the cage.

Ed-lose case is similar, the dead NPC is replaced by a bureaucrat who knows nothing but papers and moves the plot along the already defined line, without joining the party, duh... it just needs a replacement dialog written, and NPC check and replacement. No scroll quest, nor trace of him ever being alive after BG1 portion. Nor him being able to cast fireballs.

Too 4th wall... do it this way first by killing Edwin and then without it and that's a complete build 4 main wall house, no leaks. Just an additional room you can look at if you decide to keep him alive.

Jaheira... easy/medium difficult to replace with a lesser version, elf fighter that just leaves after the BG2 start dungeon. 

Viconia, very easy to replace with a witch, that dies without the ability for the player to rescue them. Or with tzzird. 😛

Seriously, the only HARD to re-edit out "in case of accidental" death NPC, is Imoen... which I am not even suggesting to try to do.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, jastey said:

Not sure that's clear. In SoD, Minsc and Dynaheir are alive. But, if they die in your EET game during the BG:EE part, they will stay dead because of EET's continuity. The only NPCs reappearing are Imoen and Edwin because of their role as quest givers in BGII afaik.

Ah, OP meant the mod. I'm terribly sorry, my reading comprehension was at an all-time low on that day.