Ascension 2.0.8 out; report bugs here

DavidW

Guest grainne6
2 hours ago, Guest brainelder said:

Hi,

I had a similar issue in my recent game but i guess from the help i received that it was wheels of propecy not ascension that caused it. I had to warp to the stone heads to continue. Later i had to trigger the last transition because the door of pocket plane in both cases had not the right options.

That could be it, I wanted to finish so I just uninstalled ascension and the game played fine.  I will try ascension without wheels of prophecy next time. 

These seem similar to the issue I have faced. And I had Wheels of Prophecy as well. So, probably there is a slight inconsistency between Wheels of Prophecy and Ascension v2 at the moment

Guest brainelder
On 2/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, Guest grainne6 said:

That could be it, I wanted to finish so I just uninstalled ascension and the game played fine.  I will try ascension without wheels of prophecy next time. 

4 hours ago, Guest Ludwig said:

These seem similar to the issue I have faced. And I had Wheels of Prophecy as well. So, probably there is a slight inconsistency between Wheels of Prophecy and Ascension v2 at the moment

I had some help that allowed me to finish my game despite the errors, maybe it helps you too. Don't be misled by the title, it's just the first glitch I had http://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/602/i-dont-get-teleported-to-the-pocket-plane-after-defeating-abizigal#latest

I have a bug which is probably caused by Improved Slayer Transformation, I think. Bug is that my protagonist will gain the ability Slayer Change (I am in chapter 1, lvl 8 character) and is has 52 charges, basically I can transform to Slayer 52 times a day. I can remove it using Shadow Keeper but after area change it will be back. 

There are many bugs in the current 2.0.9 version indeed. The 2.0 branch is far from being in the "reasonably cleaned up of bugs" state that would justify no update in so many months. :/

@InKal I encountered this one in the outside of Watcher's Keep area with a 1.5M XP character (level 14) in chapter 2.

The cause seems to be that finslgr.SPL is applied to the player and one of the effects checks for EA >= ANYONE and then grants Slayer change regardless of anything else, through FINSLG1.SPL. Since this plays with global variables specific to the mod, I wanted to check if people had a quick fix to avoid having to figure out a self-fix that doesn't break other things.

11 hours ago, jastey said:

Gosh! Modders have a real life, too! And they dare to do other stuff than working unpaid hours for people they don't know! Yes, I guess swearwords are completely in order here!!11!1

I think you're exaggerating a bit with the swearing, that's not cool. I'm thinking guillotines will do in a situation like this.

Guest Guest Oob

Congrats on the babe!

@Jastey

And they dare to do other stuff than working unpaid hours for people they don't know!

Meanwhile, regulars from this community don't take any initiative to propose fixes to the mod themselves, or warn the mod author about the current amount of problematic bugs, or even merely opening a 2.0.9 bug thread. So I think InKal's swearword could well be directed to you in general. He may not be the actual one expecting one person to do everything all the time, here.

Maybe I'll be back with an intent on contributing positively since I have listed quite more than a dozen bugs that I am able to fix myself if I invest time in this community. (Up to now I've been using dirty fixes for myself that wouldn't be proper to ship in the real Ascension mod.)

If the community starts to buzz into fixing Ascension 2.0.9 with a lab branch while its real author is busy parenting, I'll follow provided I notice it.

Guest Guest Oob

Sorry that sounded harsher than I meant it. Just trying to say that Ascension 2.0.9 has quite a few nasty bugs right now and can't be left in a state like this for so long, being one of Baldur's Gate's main mods. Since the author has much better shit to do right now, it should be up to *other people* to at least provide a lab branch for Ascension so that some people can fix and eventually use it, but more importantly so that David Gaider will only need to verify and pull the code changes with little effort when the time will come. I don't think we should expect parenting a newborn not to suck out energy and most modding time for the next two years, especially since there are other things more important than modding responsibilities when a break can be taken from both kids and work, namely taking care of the couple, friend relationships and generally changing pace.
As an outsider with little involvement in this and no trust from the author, it's not my place to take an initiative, but I would contribute reporting and then fixing the bugs I noted down in a way the community feels like it's the right approach.

Hello! Found a bug while installing Ascension 2.0.8 and the Imoen Romance 3.9.6 mod. There is a condition in the bimoen25.d file that starts a conversation with Imoen about the forces of Bhaal (dialogue number 91)

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER bimoen25 91 ~Global("YagaShuraHeart1","GLOBAL",2)~

But in Imoen Romance, this dialogue is tied to Gromnir’s death and is forcibly started 15 minutes after his death (in bhaaltalks.d file). At this moment, the value of the variable YagaShuraHeart1 can in no way be equal to 2. And if both mods are installed at the same time, then the dialog tries to start, but cannot. The dialogue freezes, there is a problem with the movement of the player and Imoen, it is impossible to save and relax (the game constantly remains in the dialogue mode, but it cannot start). The second check of the variable in this file (for dialog 100) also causes a conflict with Imoen Romance.

To do this, you need to replace the lines in the bimoen25.d file with these: 

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER BIMOEN25 91 ~Dead("Gromnir")~
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER bimoen25 100 ~Dead("Yaga01")~

And also replace the verification data in the imoe25.baf file.

In this case, the conflict with the "Imoen romance" mod will be resolved (even while installing the Romance and the component "Improved Imoen-Player interaction" from Ascension).

In the attachment, these two files are modified (ready to be replaced).

Ascension fix Imoen Romance.rar

Edited by Austin