Modders wanted! Protagonist can die tweak.

Hello everybody,

as many of you might remember, there once was a tweak in TobEx that allowed CHARNAME to die without the game over cutscene playing.
Then, with the coming of EET, it was replaced by the "Protagonist can die" component of EET Tweaks.

I reported some problems emerged while CHARNAME being dead, and the author of the mod, K4thos, chose to remove this component and to stop mantaining it.
He however provided the installation files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/79d9mh5i0o0riop/Protagonist_Can_Die.zip?dl=1

I tried yesterday a mega mod install with EET Install Tool (mantained by Roxanne), installing the tweak after the installation concluded. It didn't work, the gameover cutscene played on CHARNAME death.

I think (and I've read) that this mod is appreciated by many of us, and it could be a common interest to be able to use it again, so, I'm asking, is there a modder that would be so kind to solve the problem?

As far as I know, the tweak changes every single area flag to prevent gameover cutscene from playing, so it's rather mechanical. Probably with the passing of time and the various patches, the tweak is not able to successfully do its work.

I would take care of the problem myself, but I know nothing of modding.

Protagonist_Can_Die.zip

Edited by Blash2

This exceeds my expertise by far. Still, a question: do you want the problem fixed you reported when it was still in EET Tweaks? Or do you look for help with a new problem, especially why it didn't work at all on EET in your case?

If I recall correctly, one of the problems with this tweak was that many scripts / cutscenes / triggered dialogues after a fight expect Player1 to be alive and will fail if they died. There is no fix to that problem other than to recode have of the scripts of the game.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I'm not looking for a solution to the issues I reported. It is fine for me as it was: cutscene doesn't play, I immediately resuscitate CHARNAME so the problems you mentioned never even appear.

The problem I'm searching a solution to, is the fact that with the tweak installed, the game over cutscene plays anyway.

Being more specific, the only thing that I'm interested in, is that ALL areas in my EET game are correctly flagged to allow CHARNAME death, nothing more.

Edited by Blash2

The problem I'm searching a solution to, is the fact that with the tweak installed, the game over cutscene plays anyway.

if it worked before but now doesn't then Beamdog added or changed something in global script, or maybe the area flag used for this no longer works, some other mod forces game over when player1 is dead, or you didn't start a new game. No idea. If anyone else is interested in making this tweak functional again, as mentioned in the post, the code if free for grab.

Edited by K4thos
2 hours ago, K4thos said:

if it worked before but now doesn't then Beamdog added or changed something in global script, or maybe the area flag used for this no longer works, some other mod forces game over when player1 is dead, or you didn't start a new game. No idea. If anyone else is interested in making this tweak functional again, as mentioned in the post, the code if free for grab.

I didn't change my mod selection that much over time, so I'm quite sure this is to be excluded.

I started a new game right after a perfectly clean and errorless installation, so neither this can be an explanation.

Maybe the problem is that I installed the tweak manually after the EET Install Tool completed its work? Maybe I had to set a pause somewhere, manually install it and then make it resume?

I can make some tests if you have some useful suggestions.. a complete EET Install Tool installation requires only 1:30 hours with my desktop computer, so it would not be a problem. If you tell me how to do it, I could also manually check if the area flag is present or not.

As for your last sentence, this is also what I was hoping for when I opened this thread :)

Edited by Blash2

Game over triggering when the protagonist dies is scripted.

Before installing this mod, open BALDUR.BCS with Near Infinity and search for "GameOver". Either remove the whole block where this script action is included or add "False()" before or after the "!InParty(Player1)"  trigger. Do the same in BDBALDUR.BCS and BALDUR25.BCS.

10 minutes ago, argent77 said:

Game over triggering when the protagonist dies is scripted.

Before installing this mod, open BALDUR.BCS with Near Infinity and search for "GameOver". Either remove the whole block where this script action is included or add "False()" before or after the "!InParty(Player1)"  trigger. Do the same in BDBALDUR.BCS and BALDUR25.BCS.

Will try as soon as I'm able and report here, thanks :)

Here's what I did: 

- Uninstalled the tweak;

- Used Near Infinity (for the first time, lol) and removed the whole block from the files you mentioned;

- Reinstalled the tweak;

- Started a new game;

- Got in party with Imoen, sent CHARNAME to be killed;

- Gameover didn't play, I could normally control Imoen,

- You're the man 😍

Now, can I assume that applying the instructions you gave me, the tweak is working throughout every area of the game? I mean, is it working in the (buggy) way it was intended to work?

Thanks, argent77 😃

Edited by Blash2
2 minutes ago, jastey said:

Should, yes, because the mentioned scripts are area-independent.

Shouldn't be enough to just remove the scripts WITHOUT installing the tweak, so?

I tried uninstalling the tweak, but the cutscene played anyway, even without the scripts 🤔

13 minutes ago, Blash2 said:

Shouldn't be enough to just remove the scripts WITHOUT installing the tweak, so?

No, the mod is still needed. This script block is checked in addition to the flag that has to be enabled for every area in the game. I don't know why Beamdog added it to the game in the first place.