Unauthorized Mod Mirrors

Drakensang

Gotta say, it's about time for some unnecessary drama! I think we've had almost a year or so with nothing but civil and polite people talking about BG mods (BOOOOORRRRING!!).

@Drakensang

You can save yourself the effort of feigning altruism as the primary motivator for this little, disruptive spiel of yours.

If allowing yourself and others mod access during hosting down time was all you're after, you'd just quietly build your own private mod backup (like many people out there have) and then swoop in as a knight in shining armour and provide people with (temporary) download links when the need actually arises.

You claim you'll be actively maintaining your collection (indefinitely?) so checking up on hosting availability and then posting in the right threads and messaging people in need of mods directly shouldn't be a problem for you either, right?

But nope, you need to publicly go against the explicit wishes of some of the most prolific creators in the community and create your little mod hub..

Some of the things I read here makes me laugh to be honest.

Me too, but I don't think it's the same things..

5) Do you think any new user gonna bother searching for stuff on SHS, given that it's offline pretty frequently?

Oh my, those poor people who aren't even interested enough in a mod to go looking for it! How about we set up a spam bot with mod download links, to make extra sure everyone who isn't even interested can have access to these mods at all times?

4) If I wanted any mod hosted in Spellhold forum, I would just get in touch with Roxanne or head to reddit where you can ask around and you'll get supplied with what you're looking for.

Yep, so why the need for all this drama then? Providing links while the host is down is fine (or would at least not cause that much of an issue/fuzz).

We see dedicated modders disappear (forever or for long periods of time), the original BWS basically died because no one could be found to maintain its install order lists but sure, this random guy who shows up out of nowhere with no history at all will keep his little database updated and maintained for ever...

3 hours ago, Arthas said:

1) You wish control over your mods, but you don't realize the second that you publish something on the internet, you lost all the chance to control it

I'm sure that's why there are no laws with regard to copyright, because the moment someone publishes something they lose all chance to control it - oh wait.

Not to say: that's because there are bad people who do not respect other people's work.