Unauthorized Mod Mirrors

Drakensang

Just for the record (again): while this is covered by general G3 policy in any case, I explicitly deny permission to anyone to host versions of my mods (SCS, Wheels of Prophecy, and - as current authorized maintainer - Ascension). 

I'm not going to bother asking this person to stop doing so, because you shouldn't feed trolls. Fortunately, most people in our community are reasonable human beings. 

My approach to copyright is very simple - 1) no one is authorized to do anything with my works without my explicit agreement, 2) no one is authorized to enforce 1 or persecute for its breach on my behalf without my explicit agreement.

Edited by Ardanis

In case anyone reading this topic doesn't understand why modders are being so outrageously protective of their work, here's some history.

This idea of a master collection of mod downloads is not a new one.  Modders have explained why they are against it many times before and aren't happy to repeat themselves.

Mirrors inevitably end up out of date even with the best intentions.

Players using outdated versions of mods will encounter bugs that have already been fixed, and show up on forums to report them.  This wastes the time of players and modders.

I don't think modders are being too unreasonable here.  You'll notice that nobody freaked out over people supplying links to mods that are temporarily offline because of the situation at SHS.

I'll leave you with the notice that CamDawg includes in his mods:

The modding community for the Infinity Engine has been going strong for more than 10 years now, and is the culmination of thousands of unpaid modding hours by fellow fans of the game. Modders produce their best work and players get the best, well-supported mods when we all work together.

There are two big ways to upset this harmony. One is to claim someone else's work as your own. The second is to host and redistribute a mod without permission from the author(s).

Be kind to your fellow players and modders. Don't do either.

Did you stop for a moment to think that Arthas could be fiercely protective of his comments? Instead of doing so, you've illegally deleted his comment and shown your immense hypocrisy. You've come undone, GeeThree. You've no ground to stand upon and I will share those ILLEGAL mega links with as many scoundrels as there are stars in the universe.

48 minutes ago, Drakensang said:

Did you stop for a moment to think that Arthas could be fiercely protective of his comments? Instead of doing so, you've illegally deleted his comment and shown your immense hypocrisy. You've come undone, GeeThree. You've no ground to stand upon and I will share those ILLEGAL mega links with as many scoundrels as there are stars in the universe.

Reading competence?

Hint: Arthas edited his own post.

Did you even ask the maker of that meme if you're allowed to post it here? Did you credit him and the site of origin? I think not! Not only are you a thief of the highest order and a criminal scumbag, but now you're not only done for once, but TWICE as you've the meme maker's wrath and mine upon you. Man, you done goofed big time.