Question to adding onto events

Guest Xarkana

Guest Xarkana

Started up a new BG1 playthrough, figured I'd see what mods existed and found this to some amusement.  So I got into looking at how to change stuff to my likeing.

While I have experience in modding in general, they've generally been more modern games in which modding is a bit more expected by the designers (things like Darkest Dungeon, XCOM, etc), and can oft be done with just JSON file edits using Notepad++.  BG1, as far as I can tell a bit more of a complicated beast.  Even just installing the mods required a bit of bending backwards.

For now, I'm mostly looking to expand on events that exist, rather than add new events (which obviously takes a bit of work).  But before I go hunting down for programs for it, I figured I'd see if its possible to build it by editing the If/thans found in D files of your mod (as well as the localization files to alter the verbatium of the lines / choices).  But will the file (after re-running the RE patcher thing) read if I just slap a new few response lines / if-than options and output lines (or if I wanna go wild and put on say, 8 different 'if race, than X' so I could output more unique narratives to describe different body types).  Or is all that going to require some external software to build the whole thing and recompress the game files to be read by a live game?

The program that handles mod installation (including compilation of .d files) is called WeiDU.  When you run setup-modname.exe, you are running WeiDU.  After you make changes to a .d file, if you want to see those changes reflected in game, you simply have to run setup-modname.exe and [re-]install whichever component of the mod it is that compiles that .d file.