SCS updated to 32.6 (now 32.8)

22 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Every component had the same "ERROR: Failure("INNER_PATCH_SAVE \"%entry%\": read out of bounds")" error. Unfortunately, I don't know what that means in practice besides that "a file was read incorrectly", especially with no other info to go off of. Does it also happen with SCS 32.7?

Yeah, it happens with 32.6, 32.7 and 32.8. The most likely cause is incompatibility with some other mod, but I have no idea which one it could be. If I put Spell revisions and SCS first, then they install fine.

20 hours ago, kaiiak said:

I 'm not %100 sure it's SCS , another option is that it's somewhat related to EEX or  olvyn spells - it happen at any rest scenario indoor or wilderness ) . its is repeatebale unless I heal everyone

Would be nice not to throw accusations around then.

I encountered the "crash on rest" bug with injured dead NPCs years ago with BG1NPC on the original BGII engine. No, it's not BG1NPC causing this, either.

I shouldn't post without looking up details first. It was dead NPCs, and the reason was the order of triggers in the D.script for the dead NPC. Appearently, AreaType() may automatically fail for a dead character, so the check should start with !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID).

1 hour ago, jastey said:

Would be nice not to throw accusations around then.

I encountered the "crash on rest" bug with injured dead NPCs years ago with BG1NPC on the original BGII engine. No, it's not BG1NPC causing this, either.

I shouldn't post without looking up details first. It was dead NPCs, and the reason was the order of triggers in the D.script for the dead NPC. Appearently, AreaType() may automatically fail for a dead character, so the check should start with !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID).

@jastey - You Are right - I did not meant it as Accusation - just suspicion .

it does not happen to me with SCS V30 - but granted other mods changed their version as well.

it also happen at the very beginning with 2-3 NPC in the party - no dead NPC

and it correlate to the BUG describe here - look at Feb15-  (that guy had only SCS v32 and ascension 2.0.8 installed:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75390/saved-game-crashes-on-rest

Edited by kaiiak
Guest More details

@kaiiak that's me giving the latest update over there.

FYI, I at least can repair the crash on rest bug 100% by using the Control-R cheat to force-heal everyone before resting for safety, just not sure what the cause is.

Some more details:

* It's not specific to just the +HP Ioun stone.  I removed that and happened about as often as before.

* It's not specific to CHARNAME.  I also saw it happen to Korgan and Jan.

* I'm pretty sure I've had it happen from taking only 2 damage to CHARNAME and nothing else, so I don't think it's status related.

* I went all of yesterday without it happening at all.  I didn't change my buff behavior, everyone just got higher level?

One cause might be abilities that modify hit points and expire; off the top of my head every character I saw with a problem had a Spirit Armor or Rage at some point.

People might want to actually copy their weidu.log and paste it in spoiler tags. I’m just not going to click a link ostensibly from ezshare or filebin or whatever. No offense; I just don’t click links on public forums. (Anyway such links are useless to anyone on a phone browser.)

Lots of different things can potentially cause this same crash. A memorized spell with more than 255 effects is one I’m familiar with (because I caused it) so the variability could be related to which spells your casters have memorized at any given point. 

Easy way to check: save before every rest. When it crashes, open that save in NI and look at your casters’ memorized spells. 

1 hour ago, Guest More details said:

@kaiiak that's me giving the latest update over there.

FYI, I at least can repair the crash on rest bug 100% by using the Control-R cheat to force-heal everyone before resting for safety, just not sure what the cause is.

Some more details:

* It's not specific to just the +HP Ioun stone.  I removed that and happened about as often as before.

* It's not specific to CHARNAME.  I also saw it happen to Korgan and Jan.

* I'm pretty sure I've had it happen from taking only 2 damage to CHARNAME and nothing else, so I don't think it's status related.

* I went all of yesterday without it happening at all.  I didn't change my buff behavior, everyone just got higher level?

One cause might be abilities that modify hit points and expire; off the top of my head every character I saw with a problem had a Spirit Armor or Rage at some point.

I can confirm the exact details for me as well (except the problem is going away) - it's an HP related .

mine did not any rage or spirit armor at any point.

also you said you only had two mods (SCS & ascension right ?) I have a bunch of other mods including those two - I uninstall the ascension - and the problem is still happening .  going to try an uninstall SCS to isolated it.

Edited by kaiiak
3 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Lots of different things can potentially cause this same crash. A memorized spell with more than 255 effects is one I’m familiar with (because I caused it) so the variability could be related to which spells your casters have memorized at any given point.

...I may have a spell or two I have to fix for completely unrelated reasons.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

...I may have a spell or two I have to fix for completely unrelated reasons.

Yeah it’s totally possible some of my recent stuff has once again done this... that’s why I’m curious about the weidu logs. Though, the linked reports don’t have any of my mods so I think I’m safe. But like I say just inspect the casters’ .CRE files in a savegame and it should be discoverable. 

Max hp vs. not max hp just determines whether the game’s “let’s try to cast any/all healing spells” routine is run. If you have max hp this doesn’t happen. If you have less than max hp the game checks every memorized spell and innate ability and asks them, “are you a spell that can heal me?” in order to find out what is available for the automatic heal-on-rest system. If one of those spells has too many effects, or is broken in some way, it can crash the game.

It doesn’t matter if the spell isn’t one that would ever be used to heal on rest; if it’s broken in certain ways, just being memorized at the time can cause the crash. 

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Max hp vs. not max hp just determines whether the game’s “let’s try to cast any/all healing spells” routine is run. If you have max hp this doesn’t happen. If you have less than max hp the game checks every memorized spell and innate ability and asks them, “are you a spell that can heal me?” in order to find out what is available for the automatic heal-on-rest system. If one of those spells has too many effects, or is broken in some way, it can crash the game.

It doesn’t matter if the spell isn’t one that would ever be used to heal on rest; if it’s broken in certain ways, just being memorized at the time can cause the crash. 

@subtledoctor - Thanks for that piece of information . 

based on that I did more testing and I suspect it has something to do with your mana sorcerer mod :

when I removed several of on the mana sorcerer spell - it did not crash - the problem is that I think it is more than one spell - since I needed to remove bulk of spells at the time for it not to crash.

two questions out of this:

when I tested before I uninstalled the mana socerer mod , but the problem persisted - is that because the new mana sorcerer spells are not deleted (the mod makes copy of SPL files ) ?

also , can this be related to spells.ids changes ?

23 minutes ago, kaiiak said:

based on that I did more testing and I suspect it has something to do with your mana sorcerer mod :

Poop, that's certainly a possibility.  Weird that it wouldn't happen to me, but I suppose everyone's group installed mods interact in a unique way.  I'll double-check things there.

@jastey and @Bartimaeus if your mods add spells with lot of effects, the solution is really simple and kinda dumb.  E.g. my spontaneous casting mod has a ton of 171 and 172 effects to simulate memorized spells being restored.  All I had to do was remove those from the spell that characters would actually memorize, shove them into a different spell, and cast the different spell via 146 in the spell that characters actually memorize.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

...So, actually, a related question: could I add a 0 hp healing effect to the SR Regeneration series of spells in order to trigger a YES for the "are you a healing spell" check, and would it actually heal via the regeneration opcode while resting?

...Prooobably not.  But, maybe?  I suppose it's worth 5 or 10 minutes to test.

It triggers the "Healing spells cast on rest" text, but sadly, it doesn't actually apply the regeneration effect, :(.

I remember that in the BG1 engine, resting while e.g. poisoned will make every damage point of poison apply immediately to you and possibly kill you if you rest, and so I'd suspect that this idea might work there, but without a way to make the BG2/EE engine imitate that behavior, it doesn't really matter since virtually nobody's playing on the original BG1 engine, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus