WEIDU - items basic coding problems

ptifab

Thanks @Jarno Mikkola, i wasn't aware of that code, now i know how it work. Do you know, for modding purpose, if i create an item wich i want to have similar drow properties, how it will be  handled by the game ? because this is just a script from a specific area. Like if a mod gives me an item like this, how the engine will know that it must be turned to dust if i don't update this one specifically and/or i'm teleported to another exterior area ? 

Is the flag at 0x19 BIT15 : EE:adamantine (15) is supposed to fulfill that state without script ?

Nope.

What you want to do is triggered event... aka, just like the above, you setup a GLOBAL that controls it. Set it to 1 after you want to trigger the even, and use this:

TakeItemReplace("customitemname without the .itm","replacing item name without the .itm",Player1)

-thing, with Player1-6 when the GLOBAL is one, and when it's over set the GLOBAL to two, very similarly like the above. PS, the .itm's have a max of 8 characters, should you not know that, now you do.

In SoD I found the action:

ActionOverride("npcname",DestroyAllFragileEquipment(ADAMANTINE))

I would assume this would destroy any items flagged with this flag. This flag is not available in original BGII (I don't know about ToBEx), hence the very long script to catch all available items. If the party teleports elsewhere, the items would not be destroyed unless such a script runs in the new area, too.

I'm trying to create a function (based on some already functionning existing code) to exclude specifics items from the file  itemexcl.2da, but i would like to automate the process. I've already made it work for all armors, but for specific items i don't know how to procede. Here's my existing code for specific items :

1st part
OUTER_SPRINT item_exclusion ~%specific_itemname%~ <- insert the item name here

2nd part
COPY_EXISTING ~itemexcl.2da~ ~override~
  READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW num_rows 2
  FOR (i = 1; i < num_rows; i += 1) BEGIN
    READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER num_rows i 0 current_item
    SET isToExclude = 0
    PATCH_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%current_item%.itm~) BEGIN
      INNER_PATCH_FILE ~%current_item%.itm~ BEGIN
        PATCH_IF (current_item STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~%item_exclusion%~) BEGIN
          SET isToExclude = 1
        END
      END
    END
    PATCH_IF (isToExclude == 1) BEGIN
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~[%LNL%%MNL%%WNL%][ %TAB%]*%current_item%[ %TAB%].*~
        ~~
    END
  END
  BUT_ONLY

the file is actually not removed, if someone can help me on this one ?

Edited by ptifab
typos

Might try something like

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION no_exclude_item STR_VAR item_to_remove = ~null~ BEGIN
        PATCH_IF (~%current_item%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~%item_to_remove%~) BEGIN
          REMOVE_2DA_ROW i 2
        END
      END
    END
  BUT_ONLY
END

LAF no_exclude_item STR_VAR item_to_remove = ~sw1h04.itm~ END

That will probably need some fiddling - to make sure the row count is right and it removes the correct row, and maybe a sanity check in case an item appears in two or more rows.  But once fine-tuned, it should get the job done.

15 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Might try something like

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION no_exclude_item STR_VAR item_to_remove = ~null~ BEGIN
        PATCH_IF (~%current_item%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~%item_to_remove%~) BEGIN
          REMOVE_2DA_ROW i 2
        END
      END
    END
  BUT_ONLY
END

LAF no_exclude_item STR_VAR item_to_remove = ~sw1h04.itm~ END

That will probably need some fiddling - to make sure the row count is right and it removes the correct row, and maybe a sanity check in case an item appears in two or more rows.  But once fine-tuned, it should get the job done.

i just had to remove the .itm from the command setting, but it worked. Thanks a lot @subtledoctor

Does anyone knows if monsters ability scores have the same functionalities as for players ? I mean, sometimes i see .CRE with 9 everywhere and AC and THAC0 sets by hand obviously, but what if i changed it to, say, Strength 20 for example ? Does its damage score and thac0 are changed by the stat bonuses given by a Strength that high ? Or will it use the THAC0 given by hand ?

Edited by ptifab
typos

thanks @subtledoctor

I forgot to ask if the class has any impact on the abilities and/or the stats. If a demon is a thief, can it hide in shadows ? if a basilisks is a mage, can he cast spells ? does they gets the bonus effects from levels (thac0 from warriors does not progress like these of mages for example)

Edited by ptifab

Not really. Any active abilities like spells need a creature script to be used; and once the creature is controlled by a script, there’s nothing stopping the script from having a fighter cast spells or a cleric hide in shadows. Even passive abilities like an Archer’s to-hit bonus have to be specifically added to the creature.

The only exception is if you install SCS. In that case creatures will actually get passive kit abilities applied, and in some cases might be scripted to use some active abilities. Likewise, with my feats mod some fighters and thieves will be coded to get the benefit of a few passive feats. (Not active abilities though - I don’t do scripting.) But in these cases the modder has specifically programmed enemies to get those abilities... the game engine doesn’t do it by itself. 

Thac0, AC, saves, and similar values are coded into the .CRE file... they are modified by stats and spell effects, but not by class or level. 

5 hours ago, ptifab said:

thanks @subtledoctor

I forgot to ask if the class has any impact on the abilities and/or the stats. If a demon is a thief, can it hide in shadows ? if a basilisks is a mage, can he cast spells ? does they gets the bonus effects from levels (thac0 from warriors does not progress like these of mages for example)

Their class will affect which level the creature casts spells at.

A creature with a player-class will cast wizard/priest spells at their wizard/priest caster level, or level 1 if they lack it.

A creature with a monster-class cast wizard/priest spells at their character/innate level (1st class level).