Can't install BG2Fixpack

Is this a clear BG2 SoA+ToB game... cause I don't see how these:

Appending to files ...
[./override/ACTION.IDS] loaded, 13451 bytes
Not appending [160 ApplySpellRES(S:RES*,O:Target)...] to [ACTION.IDS] because it DOES contains [160 ApplySpellRES(S:RES\*,O:Target)]
Appending to files ...
Not appending [181 ReallyForceSpellRES(S:RES*,O:Target)...] to [ACTION.IDS] because it DOES contains [181 ReallyForceSpellRES(S:RES\*,O:Target)]
Appending to files ...
Not appending [191 SpellNoDecRES(S:RES*,O:Target*)...] to [ACTION.IDS] because it DOES contains [191 SpellNoDecRES(S:RES\*,O:Target\*)]
Appending to files ...
Not appending [192 SpellPointNoDecRES(S:RES*,P:Target*)...] to [ACTION.IDS] because it DOES contains [192 SpellPointNoDecRES(S:RES\*,P:Target\*)]
Appending to files ...

...are even possible in that ?

And there's a lot of this stuff, with also spells.ids, kit.ids ETC !

This error, the first one:

[./override/aegis.itm] loaded, 466 bytes
SET_STRING 166941 out of range 0 -- 74117
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR: [aegis.itm] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("SET_STRING out of range"))

Is very likely a non-clear install error... if this is a BG2 SoA+ToB game.

I would say you are trying to install the BG2Fixpack to a BG2EE game, and you should know, that that's not ever done... the BG2EE CONTAINS the latest version of the BG2 Fixpack... or actually more advanced version of it... cause that's what happened.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

To answer your question, yes, this is a BG2 SoA+ToB game. The list of 'STUFF' at the top of your reply, that is what is in the file. I don't understand it either. I installed TOBEx and then tried to install BG2Fixpack. That's all there was. One of the things I tried was, to use a new Fixpack file. But it had the same results.

Question? What is a non-clear install error?

Question? What do I do to correct the problem?

Edited by Truman
1 hour ago, Truman said:

Question! What is a non-clear install error?

Here's the community defined definition of a clear install. From 2004.

So that doesn't include install path declaration that you need to do in Windows x... as your only option when moding games this old is to install them to owned folders, aka folders alike here:

C:\Users\<username>\Games\<gamename>\

-if you use the C drive.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Looked up the 'clear install', and yes that is what I do. I keep a directory named Backup in the BG2 game directory. I have a copy of the override, BGMain, CHITIN.KEY and dialog.tlk. This I maintain. It certainly comes in handy.

To return to my problem. I went back to the game directory and basically just stared at it for awhile, when I saw that the setup-application file listed 953 KB, when all of the others said 1,033 KB. I renamed a file for the Fixpack and tried the 1,033 KB file. Now, it worked. This has opened up a new question as to why did it work? I don't get it. This makes no sense to me. Doesn't the installing of an upgraded WeiDU application file, upgrade all of the other application files? I thought it did. And, of course, why did it work?

27 minutes ago, Truman said:

To return to my problem. I went back to the game directory and basically just stared at it for awhile, when I saw that the setup-application file listed 953 KB, when all of the others said 1,033 KB. I renamed a file for the Fixpack and tried the 1,033 KB file. Now, it worked. This has opened up a new question as to why did it work? I don't get it. This makes no sense to me. Doesn't the installing of an upgraded WeiDU application file, upgrade all of the other application files? I thought it did. And, of course, why did it work?

Well, the install file size, is just update of the same renamed file. Better question is why didn't it work before ? As running the file should auto update ALL of the files to be same file/sized WITHOUT a difference in any of them.

Now, the probable thing is, the 1,033 KB one is probably the v23600 amd64 one, while the other is a v23600 x86 one. But I can't verify this, as I only can see the exact file size... which are 1 057 792(amd64) and 975 360 (x86). This is due to the .zip archive showing that data (bit size), not the KB one. Or you could have downgrade by doing what you did and failed at that step, as you might need updated x84 OR amd64 weidu.exe to install Fixpack. Can't really tell cause it's for you to find out. Still, the latest archive can be found here.

Looked up the 'clear install', and yes that is what I do. I keep a directory named Backup in the BG2 game directory. I have a copy of the override, BGMain, CHITIN.KEY and dialog.tlk. This I maintain. It certainly comes in handy.

But the question comes, did you DELETE the old ones before you copied the new ones to their place. And you should never keep them in the game directory, but elsewhere... a .zip/.rar/.7z file is ok ... I guess, but you didn't say that you opted that option.

8 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Well, the install file size, is just update of the same renamed file. Better question is why didn't it work before ? As running the file should auto update ALL of the files to be same file/sized WITHOUT a difference in any of them.

That is the way I always thought it worked, which is why I probably missed seeing it. To let you know, 1033 KB is the file size for v246, at least on my machine it is. When I started this particular install, I downloaded the latest everything, whether I actually use them or not. Everything is at the newest version and yes, I deleted anything that was going to be updated, before I installed the update.

8 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

But the question comes, did you DELETE the old ones before you copied the new ones to their place. And you should never keep them in the game directory, but elsewhere... a .zip/.rar/.7z file is ok ... I guess, but you didn't say that you opted that option.

I keep that in the game directory, because it could be 1 or 2 years before I play a new game and I want to start fresh. The thing is, I will probably forget where I put them if I don't.

Guest tluedeke

I'm having the same problems (and I'm livid, because this all worked smoothly a few years ago, before people started hacking away at it).  String errors cause a termination of the fixpack installation and a rollback.

Guest tluedeke

Clean install of BG2/TOB from GOG.com, then termination due to "SET_STRING 77263 out of range 0 -- 74117".  I'm highly pissed off - been writing code for years, and fail to understand why this is considered a "release" version of fixpack.

This could be a specific language problem. As in, if the tluedeke is from a non English country, the dialog.tlk could be different by default, not that that's really likely.

Or this could be Operation System hiding it's ugly side by restricting operations, as in the Windows 10 for example doesn't allow re-writes of the actual game files, which leands to errors and so can't install.

But to know more, we would likely need more info: What country is tluedeke from ? Which operation system do they use, and where is the game installed in ? And yes, the setup-BG2Fixpack.debug -file does give some of that.

And the last could be that this in not a standard BG2 SoA/ToB install but some variant of EE game, or the like. Which is by definition not supported by the BG2Fixpack.

-those are the scenarios I could see that could be happening, which one it is ... I can't say yet.