Cure Moderate Wounds Inconsistency

Hello, and thank you for this wonderful mod. I noticed some strange behavior regarding the "Cure Moderate Wounds" spell as it is added by "Increase the Power of Cure Wounds and Cause Wounds Spells to the level found in 3rd Edition D&D" component.

I first noticed when the spell was failing to effect a member of my party Sirene from "Sirene NPC Mod". All of the other cure spells worked on her, and on all other party members. So I looked into the game files to see why this might be.

As far as I can see, "Cure Moderate Wounds" was the only spell in the "override" section, likely because the game does not have a level 2 "Cure" spell by default to modify. I noticed a large list of creatures that would be immune to the spell, of which "Tiefling" was one of them. Sirene is a tiefling. So that makes sense. Although I don't think this is the intended behavior of the spell, especially as teiflings are mostly human and can hardly be considered truly extraplanar (which I'm guessing was the reasoning for making them immune). At any rate, it's very strange indeed to have only a single cure spell not function on one of my party members, and I don't imagine that if Tieflings were intended to be un-curable by your mod, that only one of the spells would function as such.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if this was a bug exactly, but I figured I would bring it to your attention.

I propose just getting rid of the spell altogether, as the increase in power they get from the mod component "Make Cure/Cause Spells Stronger" is already rather hefty, and it causes the final "Cure" spell to cap at 5d8+25 (!!!) rather than 4d8+20, which is higher than any single target cure spell in ANY version of DnD, let alone 2nd (which the game is based on) or 3.5 (which the mod changes are based on) and introduces an extra level of spells with which to prepare Cure spells in the first place. You could simply leave the 2nd level spells without access to a "Cure" spell like default, or perhaps move all of the spells down one level to fill the gap, so that "Cure Critical Wounds" would appear at 4th level as in 3.5, leaving "Mass Cure" at 5th so that there is a healing type spell in every spell level (instead of two healing type spells being available at level 5 and none at level 2). Thank you for your time and consideration.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:07 AM, KronoKinesis said:

or perhaps move all of the spells down one level to fill the gap, so that "Cure Critical Wounds" would appear at 4th level as in 3.5, leaving "Mass Cure" at 5th so that there is a healing type spell in every spell level (instead of two healing type spells being available at level 5 and none at level 2). Thank you for your time and consideration.

Neither here nor there, but that’s a very elegant solution. I’m surprised I never thought of it before!

OK, thanks for this. What’s going on is that the L2 Spell is the IWD version, and IWD Cure spells don’t affect outsiders and undead. In hindsight that’s going to lead to anomalies when the rest of the IWD spells aren’t present: I should be cloning and tweaking a BG spell instead.

Given joinable tieflings (esp. Haer’dalis) I should probably be removing the no-outsiders thing anyway.

I think the 3.5 framework has advantages (and SR does it) but I don’t want to mess to quite that degree with the system, especially as IWD has spells at all five levels. And I don’t have a problem with a 25th level caster being able to use a 5th level slot to heal (on average) 47 hp

That makes sense. In that case, I have a question - how would the mod work if I installed it without any IWD spells? Would it skip the second level healing spell altogether and work the way I had described earlier? Would it skip the spell but keep the progression ending at 5d8+25? Or would it just do the same thing since the "Increase Power of Healing Spells" component is present?

Either way, I look forward to being able to heal my party member :D