Spell Descriptions and Other Documentation

Mike1072

3 hours ago, Endarire said:

@Mike1072
(Un)Holy Word Spells
The simplest way to handle the cumulative effects of word spells is just to list everything on each entry.  For example, if used on a creature with 5 HD less than the caster's caster level, the subject is assumedly Deafened for 1 turn (10 rounds), Blinded for 5 rounds, and Stunned for 1 round.

Indeed, this would be the easiest to understand, but as Bartimaeus mentions, it might not look that nice in-game.

The animal summoning series shouldn't use the term "level of Druid casting the spell" since non-Druids can cast it.  (The caster's caster level is truly what determines the effects of these summons.)  The same goes for other summoning spells, like Call Woodland Beings.

Shapechange:
This spell text says "wizard" but non-Wizards can cast it too!

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

"Druid"/"Wizard"/"Cleric"/Whatever: These are used as generic catch-alls for arcane, divine, and natural spellcasters, not necessarily strictly indicative of their class. The only time it would be truly inappropriate is if "cleric" or "druid" is used for a spell that's usable by both clerics and druids.

We occasionally used "priest" when referring to a generic divine caster like a cleric/paladin/druid/ranger[/shaman] and "wizard" when referring to a generic arcane caster like a mage/sorcerer/bard.

Ideally, the specific class names should only be used when those are the only class able to use the spell (e.g. shaman spells, high-level cleric-only spells), but I'm not sure how well we follow this rule.  I suspect that "cleric", "druid", and "mage" might be common.

Protection from Energy and Protection from the Elements
Going by the documentation alone, the level 7 version seem to do the same thing, but the level 7 version (protection from the elements) casts faster and lasts longer (5 rounds per level instead of 2 rounds per level).  This seems wrong.

Protection from Energy protects from magic damage in addition to elemental damage.

Animal Summoning I:
Bats have 1 hit die each.  (Dice is the plural for die.)

Nitpicking:
I know I've been picky about certain "minor" terms, but I want things to be accurate.  Not everyone who's playing with this mod entirely knows that certain descriptive terms are functionally interchangeable.

As a fellow nitpicker, I appreciate and encourage all such reports.

The level 8 spell protection from energy spell should have a very distinct description to distinguish it from the level 7 version.  For example...

The subject of this spell is affected by the level 7 spell protection from the elements which grants him immunity to HP damage from acid, cold, electricity and fire.  In addition, this 8th level spell also grants the subject immunity to magic damage, such as from magic missile and horrid wilting spells.

The level 7 spell would read thusly:

The subject of this spell is immune to HP damage from acid, cold, electricity, and fire, whether magical or mundane in origin.

Suggested spell rename: greater energy immunity.  (The level 7 version would be lesser energy immunity.)  The spells would be renamed accordingly.

Flame Strike
When this description says it doesn't harm party members, does that mean all allied units under a player's control?  (Some mods add 'virtual party members' like Afaaq the Djinn Companion who aren't entirely controlled by the player but who are sorta party members.)