Arthas

Why is everyone quitting beamdog forums?

I will clarify again: I never asked to be reinstated. In fact, I did the opposite:
Half a year ago, I contacted a moderator and made a request that my old account be deleted for good.
Complete deletion. And I stand by that request.

Edited by Shandyr

[The content of this post has been deleted. This post can be removed]

Edited by Shandyr
Peace

@Shandyr If I were you, I wouldn't lose my time with them anymore. For me, it's pretty clear that they don't care about any feedback and they don't even realize how badly they handle the bans.

9 hours ago, JuliusBorisov said:

We have very high standards for conduct on the Beamdog forum. It's a company's forum, not some random community interested in gaming. When we make a moderation decision we take into account all possible aspects, from the history of the user to their contributions to the community. Yet, we're trying to stay as neutral as possible and thus no user is not immune to moderation decisions. We might value and respect a person as a person, a modder, a translator, a tester, but the rules are the rules and they apply to everyone equally. We warned our own developers, moderators and users with more than 5000 comments exactly because we're neutral.

Nobody cares for the rules. If they result in a graveyard of a forum, then you change the rules, not continue enforcing them until not a living soul remains.

9 hours ago, JuliusBorisov said:

I personally have put a lot of effort and time to improve community management and introduce better practices since I had taken over in 2016.

Users are no longer banned for their political views, like Dee had been doing, that is true. Users are now banned for anything. You did not make everyone equally happy, you made everyone equally miserable. Improvement, my ass.

And yes, discussing forum moderation on public is against the rules of conduct of the Beamdog forum, but (from the existance of this thread) not against this site's rules.

While true by default, I explicitly affirm that anything *I* say in this thread is as if I had said it on Beamdog forums. If you want graveyard, you will have it.

Edited by Ardanis

4 hours ago, Clockwerk said:

this thread reminds me of that time dorotea banned jcompton and it makes me feel old

Same here haha. Some things never change, and apparently growing older has not made us wiser. It does seem odd that a community that to me seems to consist of gamers mostly well into their adult years still goes through these episodes of college drama. I can't say I have an opinion on moderation on the Beamdog forums, but I will say that I find the general societal trend away from open discussion of issues for fear of offending people worrying, and I get the impression that this may be what drives this approach to moderation rather than Stanford Prison style corruption by power.

Edited by Isewein

12 minutes ago, Isewein said:

I will say that I find the general societal trend away from open discussion of issues for fear of offending people worrying, and I get the impression that this may be what drives this approach to moderation

And you are most correct, this is *exactly* what's been going on for years. Dee started this cancer, but Julius instead of fixing it simply extended it upon everyone.

Edited by Ardanis

Edited by Shandyr
Peace

It makes me wonder what would happen if LadyRhian for example showed up here and told her side of the story. 

Edited by Shandyr

Rhian's been repeatedly asked to stop doing what she's been doing, namely spamming every thread with dozens of posts with dozens of news links. I do not know what fly had bitten her all of the sudden (and sudden it was), but whatever her reasons may have been, mods seemed to have gotten tired of deleting those wagons of spam and just banned her. The only difference with how I'd approach the situation myself would've been to issue a temporary ban (a week maybe) to chill down.

Edited by Ardanis

Temporary bans are against the site rules. The rules say that bans have to be permanent.

Edited by Shandyr

3 minutes ago, Shandyr said:

Temporary bans are against the site rules. The rules say that bans have to be permanent.

Lmao, indeed🤣

2 hours ago, lefreut said:

@Shandyr If I were you, I wouldn't lose my time with them anymore. For me, it's pretty clear that they don't care about any feedback and they don't even realize how badly they handle the bans.

He just doesn’t get it. He is completely deaf to any kind of feedback, even constructive feedback. He doesn’t even think there is a problem. On the Beamdog forums any user can flag any post as a “personal attack” and the poster will get a violation regardless of whether it really was personal or really was an attack. But two dozen well-renowned people can say “we all feel unfairly slighted by your behavior” and he doesn’t even think there’s something that needs addressing there. 

2 hours ago, Isewein said:

I find the general societal trend away from open discussion of issues for fear of offending people worrying, and I get the impression that this may be what drives this approach to moderation 

Huh. I wasn’t getting that feeling. But I guess it would explain it, at least in part...

7 hours ago, Shandyr said:

That's a little silly, but okay, even if you take that approach, moderation queue (where a user's posts have to be approved before being visible to non-moderators) is a thing for a reason, especially if you explain to them why they're being put on moderation queue in a PM.

8 hours ago, Isewein said:

I can't say I have an opinion on moderation on the Beamdog forums, but I will say that I find the general societal trend away from open discussion of issues for fear of offending people worrying, and I get the impression that this may be what drives this approach to moderation rather than Stanford Prison style corruption by power.

I agree. Even when he was a normal member Julius approach to discussions was clearly "let's never say anything bad about anything". It appears to me he approaches moderation the same way. This is just sweeping problems under the rug though and the end result is that the Beamdog forums feel like a "happiness is mandatory, SMILE everyone!" kind of place.

Most threads are dominated by the same 5-6 people patting each other's backs.

You can't browse any older thread without being welcomed by dozens of ugly red "user banned, move along citizen" avatars.

I have no doubt it entirely stems from good intentions (making the forums feel friendly) but it's all so counterproductive.

Edited by Shandyr
Peace

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.