Arthas

Why is everyone quitting beamdog forums?

18 hours ago, Fluffle said:

@JuliusBorisov
I thank you so much. That is so important for my inner peace. I'm crying right now.
This is so meaningful to me. And it is the first gesture of peace and appreciation that I have been granted from you in such a long time.

Dude, are you okay?

1 minute ago, Almateria said:

Dude, are you okay?

I do not wish to participate in this thread any longer. Now with that question, I think I do need to post one last time to let everyone know that, yes, I am alright. Very much so!
For any further questions you can send a PM to me any time. But I will not be talking about the subject of this thread or anything similar any more.
I've got what I needed to be able to let go.

I am free. Onwards, to new heights!

Pure PR-speak gobbkedygook - which everyone recognizes and which fails to justify anything. In fact this is a common occurrence - we had a whole thread about it back at Beamdog, where the resort to spouting PR-speak veered into statements that were outright untruthful. Several people expressed frustration and displeasure - in ways that did not violate forum rules.  

What happened next? Several Beamdog moderators themselves violated forum rules by posting personal attacks against members. Then those members were issued violations on the flimsiest of pretexts, while there were no consequences for the moderators. And then the whole discussion was deleted - not just contentious posts, but the entire discussion - so there was no trace of the moderators’ behavior. You say you don’t control the narrative?? The evidence says otherwise.

But, they didn’t publicly shame anyone after the fact! Give those guys an award! :jump:

Putting on my constructive criticism hat again: @semiticgod what are you surprised that people would complain in a thread like this, where you cannot silence or threaten them? Your precious system does not allow for any sort of venting of frustration! You can show me the finest engine known to man - a Ferrari, or whatever - but if you plug up the tailpipe it will fail. Systems need to vent - social system no less than combustion systems. How can you still not hear what people have been telling you?? Are you going to keep your fingers stuck in your ears and reflexively post PR mumbo-jumbo? Or will you ever actually listen to some of the most-respected people to have graced your forum?

57 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

But, they didn’t publicly shame anyone after the fact!

Well, thinking about it now - I would call prison bars in front of the avatar a public shaming, not sure about others. See how naughty naughty naughty those naughty users were!

And no, pointing to the forum software does not make this better one bit, because usually customers have possibilities to change things like that - if they care.

I wouldn't call being imprisoned by totalitarian dictatorship something to be ashamed of. If anything, it's a sign you belong to a good company.

Well, being imprisoned with the land slaves is a consept that had a high purpose at the start... but the days with the few being more equal than the many, a lot of things could have been, that were not.

Actually though, if you look at the nation that I live in, the ideal communial state has quite well established itself in here, though the communist revolution was crushed. And it's all thanks to USSR, well I can claim it to be so, it's not entirely, but that a sideshow.

@subtledoctor: I did not say I was surprised people would complain in a thread like this; I said

On 1/22/2020 at 6:53 AM, semiticgod said:

I don't think there's anything unusual about Beamdog moderators posting in a G3 thread about Beamdog moderation

in response to a complaint about our posting here.

For what it's worth, I'm not a PR employee; I'm a volunteer moderator. I'm here because I've been part of the BG community for 5 years (though less active at G3 than most folks here) and I had an opinion on the subject.

Edited by semiticgod

2 hours ago, jastey said:

Well, thinking about it now - I would call prison bars in front of the avatar a public shaming, not sure about others. See how naughty naughty naughty those naughty users were!

And no, pointing to the forum software does not make this better one bit, because usually customers have possibilities to change things like that - if they care.

I do find this extremely disrespectful. It's just another example of how they don't respect their forum members.

Again, we don't actually have the power to edit the forum software. We don't have access to the source code. I can't change the BD forum software any more than I change G3's.

Edited by semiticgod

2 hours ago, jastey said:

Crap, good point.  Okay, so they actually do publicly shame people.  Take that award away.  :spanking:

You can't, but there is certainly someone who can. The fact that it is still not fixed is just lazy.

30 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Okay, so they actually do publicly shame people.

As a matter of fact, multiple users have been complaining that they reported abuse yet no (visible) action had been taken by moderators. So some visibility is actually a good thing.

I had, in fact, been arguing that company reputation should be put ahead of user privacy, so that Julius wouldn't need to be running around doing damage control when users start presuming wrong (why they complain at all is a separate matter). But he said, and confirmed again in this thread, that company is aware of such concerns, so I stopped bothering afterwards with things I wasn't paid to worry about.

Edited by Ardanis

No visibility of consequences for obvious moderator rule breaches is what I miss most I think. As it is now, it goes together with deletion of the threads where moderators were attacking users, and this is not good for preventing rumors to grow.

It is true that the prison bars are only shown in the mobile version, not in the PC one. It still is a most humiliating experience, especially if the warning points were gained in a discussion where I let myself be drawn into trying to mediate between what I felt were angry users, an agressive company PR, and attacking moderators. Learning that my attempts were seen as "personal attacks" (and "publicly discussing moderator action") while actually trying to be the voice of reason is, well, let's say it came as a bad surprise. Which turned to a shock when I saw my distorted avatar. Reading all the PR speech afterwards does not help getting me over it.

I'd very much would like to let people read the discussion and judge for themselves because I know perception of own actions can be a tricky beast, but - it is no longer there.

@Bartimaeus I was referring to a "prison bars" overlay over the user's avatar for warning level 3 (on mobile version), not after being banned. The points expire after 2 weeks, then the prison bars are removed again.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.