Arthas

Why is everyone quitting beamdog forums?

One look at the wysiwyg shitware called IBP we're using right here this very moment is a convincing argument in favor of faulty forum engine. At least it allows manualy edition of posts, unlike here 😐

Wow this thread is still going.

Hi everybody, joined over 6 years ago yet technically this is my first post over here i guess. Darn i can't believe how many regulars are gone and banned on those BD forums. People who have added tremendously to the community like Lefreut and Kilivitz to name a few, looking at the number of posts, forum badges etc, what the heck is going on? I mean this is already such a small community were the bans really that important?  Modders are worth there weight in gold for these games. Thank God some of them made it over here.

Edited by gloomfrost

1 hour ago, gloomfrost said:

Modders are worth there weight in gold for these games.

Sorry to burst you bubble, but you use the wrong word here. See a modder usually means a person that use a mod, but a better term is "mod user"... that's not rare. A "mod makers" are a bit rarer, which I assumed you meant. And then there's the forum moderators, aka a person that monitors a forum and can modify their content ... all which could be called modders, but as you can probably read, but it gets twisted when used in a fachion that's goes around the usual suspects, or rather the precision. Especially when all you got to do to become from one to another, is to know how to open a text file with a Notepad, to actually start, after which you can probably start wondering if you opened the correct file. 😋

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

See a modder usually means a person that use a mod,

No, it does not. Think for at least a moment before posting nonsense.

4 hours ago, Almateria said:

No, it does not. Think for at least a moment before posting nonsense.

For once, I don't think he's actually necessarily wrong, as I'm pretty sure I've heard "modder" frequently used in other contexts to refer to someone who goes through the trouble of applying a mod to their game. Thing is, I wouldn't post a ludicrously useless paragraph of a post to correct somebody about it, especially when it did not matter at all and the intent of the usage was ever so painfully obviously clear (and not even incorrect to begin with) - that is, unless I was being a complete bastard...sword for no discernible reason. Of course, if I was a bastard sword all the time regardless of circumstance, then I'd probably do stuff like that constantly just to make myself feel superior to others. But to each their own, though, right?

Edited by Bartimaeus

On 1/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, JuliusBorisov said:

Addition 1: @ArthasThe forum is not dead, it's the IE section (something one can call "veterans") that is inactive. The NWN community is still active.

Btw I somehow missed this... maybe because it was added later in an edit.  But the sentiment expressed here - "I don't give a crap about you or people like you" - is pure JuliusBorisov.  Concerns and criticism are met with implicit insults and casual disrespect.  What a shitty way to go about interacting with other humans.  (Like, what does NWN have to do with anything?  The game is about as old as BG2, and even setting aside the fact that it sucks monkey balls, how does it excuse doing a bad job managing the IE games' forums??)

Edited by subtledoctor

The NWN community is still active, sure, because it's only been two years. Eventually, they'll catch up to BG fans in their disappointment, unless BD manages to make good on their myriad promises in a timely fashion. If their treatment of BG is any indication, it's not going to happen.

13 hours ago, Kilivitz said:

The NWN community is still active, sure, because it's only been two years. Eventually, they'll catch up to BG fans in their disappointment, unless BD manages to make good on their myriad promises in a timely fashion. If their treatment of BG is any indication, it's not going to happen.

2 ? wtf. More like 17... Yes, the EE might be only 2, but look at the original.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

55 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

2 ? wtf. More like 17... Yes, the EE might be only 2, but look at the original.

He's obviously referring to the EE since it's when the NWN section opened up on the BD forums. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

31 minutes ago, Clockwerk said:

He's obviously referring to the EE since it's when the NWN section opened up on the BD forums. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

I've known the guy for like a decade and I still don't know whether he's a willing douchebag or if it's a case of language barrier that'd bring the gavagai problem to shame, or whether there's some kinda weird Saya no Uta-esque corruption of what he sees while reading text

it makes me so mad

Näh, you two just fail to understand moding. And that the 17 years make the game more likely to be moded than if it were 2 years old. See the old mod making scenary can move onto a new one, while creating one from nothing is not so easy.

I treat this as a given. As in, it usually doesn't need to be said.

Yes, I when I said "it's been out for 2 years" I meant the EE of NWN.

Also, the NWN community I mentioned was specifically the NWN:EE subforums over at Beamdog. You seem to be under the impression I was referring to the NWN community as whole - I wasn't.

I was addressing Borisov's remarks that the IE veterans may be out but the [Beamdog] NWN forums are going strong. From my point of view, it's only a matter of time until the people who fell under their EE hype become dissatisfied with their general clumsiness in their handling of almost every game they got their hands on.

In the case of NWN, it's arguably worse, because since their player base relies so much on persistent worlds and multiplayer, the EE has pretty much fragmented a decidedly niche (and therefore small) player base, all in the name of what is so far a glorified patch.

2 hours ago, Almateria said:

or whether there's some kinda weird Saya no Uta-esque corruption of what he sees while reading text

I see you're a man of culture:thumbsup:

So here's one of Beamdog's most staunch defenders outright calling Adul a jerk for criticizing the studio. This kind of personal attack could be an opportunity for the moderators to prove just how impartial and unbiased they are.

thac0bell.png

Edited by Kilivitz
toning down the dickishness

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.