Arthas

Why is everyone quitting beamdog forums?

This is literally the lamest personal attack I've seen in my life lol. If a child called me a doodoohead that'd sting more

Well, on mental level thaco is pretty much still a child, as he proved many times on numerous accounts.

an opportunity for the moderators to prove just how impartial and unbiased they are.

Well, they'd keep it private anyway. Assuming you don't find it beneath your dignity in the first place, to report a user for calling another user a name - especially since the latter had already responded.

I get what you mean, that they turned the forum into safe space for overgrown manchildren, but willing lowering yourself down to its level... I dunno.

Edited by Ardanis

I'm well aware that calling someone a jerk is pretty lame as far as personal attacks are concerned. The point was that people have been banned/jailed/reprimanded for much less.

I don't see the purpose of fixating on this, but here's my 5¢

If I were a moderator I would take no action against Thaco, because the poster *was* speaking for others, and was, by definition, being a jerk, which is not being used in an insulting way. I also wouldn't bother responding to the poster if I were the moderator, as their is nothing to gain from engaging with someone who uses a tone like that professionally. Players are welcome to get angry and upset, they are entitled a bit into something they pay for, but wiser people know you will get further if you engage better. You can be harsh and critical without breaking rules.

Edited by Skitia

3 hours ago, Skitia said:

You can be harsh and critical without breaking rules.

That kind of attitude has no place on the Beamdog forums! :spanking:

Yes. What the doctor said. And the point I can't seem to get across to a couple of you folks.

It's not whether Thacobell's reply deserves a smackdown (it actually doesn't), but the fact that if the roles were reversed (BD critic accuses BD fanboy of being a jerk), mods would come out spinning their banhammers like Thor within minutes. I'm not fixating on it as much as documenting it.

@shawne holy fucking shit are you the real one? Your reviews were amazing and I was so sad when you left. Tell me you're the real one!!

Aww, thanks! Yeah, that was me 😎  The BG3 news had me feeling nostalgic so I took a little tour around the old haunting grounds - stumbled on this thread and had a good time!

Edited by shawne

25 minutes ago, Kilivitz said:

Yes. What the doctor said. And the point I can't seem to get across to a couple of you folks.

It's not whether Thacobell's reply deserves a smackdown (it actually doesn't), but the fact that if the roles were reversed (BD critic accuses BD fanboy of being a jerk), mods would come out spinning their banhammers like Thor within minutes. I'm not fixating on it as much as documenting it.

I strongly disagree, if we are talking about a precise reversal of roles. Because if the critic insults and attacks their fellow forum goer we are now in rule-breaking territory, I.E., some of the examples I saw on the first pages were definitely rule-breaking in my opinion and BD was justified in their actions. The position doesn't matter, the mods don't want an unhealthy, poisonous community. If I'm a rabid Beamdog fan attacking any critic with insults and toxicnesss, I'm going to get banned or a warning or mark. If I have multiple accounts praising Beamdog's greatness, I'm going to get the same punishments.

That's why I don't see the need to fixate or document or whatever. I just don't think it is the most constructive path forward. What does it accomplish over flagging a post? 

Personally I would appeal my ban and demonstrate that I would not act in the manner that got me banned again. But posting there is important for me since I do my mod support there and don't have the ability to do it anywhere else. For someone else, that may not be necessary.

Edited by Skitia

47 minutes ago, Skitia said:

Because if the critic insults and attacks their fellow forum goer we are now in rule-breaking territory

Which should also apply to moderators, one would think.

The thing with what happened is: the threads at BeamDog's are deleted, so you can't see what the people referring to it are reffering to. We can discuss about principles all day long, but it's in no relation to what we witnessed happening and which is the source of our criticism.

1 hour ago, Skitia said:

The position doesn't matter, the mods don't want an unhealthy, poisonous community.

As often as not, the moderators are the ones putting up unhealthy, poisonous, insulting posts.  And when the target of their provocation is rightly offended (moreso because it comes from a moderator) and perhaps lashes out in a moment of heated defensiveness... well then, suddenly there is moderator action.  Everyone gets a "violation" some PMs with Very Concerned Moderators talking down to them about needing to control their behavior, whether provoked or not.  And like as not, posts get deleted and any evidence of the moderators' own bad behavior gets swept under the rug.  And they mumble empty rhetoric about they just don't want a, unhealthy, poisonous community.

That's not how you do conflict de-escalation or mediation.  If you are a site moderator and you do a shitty job at conflict de-escalation and mediation, guess what: you are going to end up with an unhealthy, poisonous community.

And guess what: those forums ARE unhealthy and poisonous.  I don't know how you can read this thread and not get that.  Maybe they have not been unpleasant for you - but that should hardly be our yardstick.  At best, you can say that some large-ish number of people find the forums to be pleasant and conflict-free, because a smaller number of people bear the brunt of abuse by moderators and moderators' friends.  Such a situation might outwardly present a placid and pleasant appearance... but it is not at all acceptable to me. 

Edited by subtledoctor

I've not seen any evidence due to the thread Jastey mentioned being  deleted, so I don't really have anything to weigh in as an example beyond what is in this thread.

I can go read the forums though, and I can't agree with the declaration of unhealthy and poisonous at all. There is always the "Disgruntled about X Bug" that exists on every game's forum, but from what I have seen of the moderators they have been fine, welcoming, and good at bearing the brunt of disgruntlement and moderation.

It is ultimately subjective admittedly so an agree to disagree situation I guess. But  from reading it in totality, I do not think those who received moderator action are in the right. That said, for those who do feel wronged by the moderators, I hope they can at least get a chance to appeal and have a second chance.

Edited by Skitia

"Doesn't affect me, therefore, it doesn't exist."

Also

"It's all subjective anyway. You're wrong, though."

Edited by Kilivitz

2 hours ago, shawne said:

Aww, thanks! Yeah, that was me 

Nice to see you again! To me your feedback was the one most valuable thing on that forum👍

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.