Arthas

Why is everyone quitting beamdog forums?

it does not help that the last big nwnee patch broke fan modules and the most recent premium  module is a buggy mess.

Posted (edited)

I can't understand why people would buy such module when there are tons of awesome mods for free at NWVault and this new release doesn't bring nothing new to the table - no tilesets, no placeables. Nothing.

And I won't start to share my complaints about NWNEE. Long story short, I feel robbed blind. All those screenshots with fancy graphics and years later I can't tell if I'm playing vanilla or EE.

That LITERALLY happened the last time I've played that game. I've opened the game and played for almost three hours. Next day I couldn't find my save and start over again... just after another couple hours I've decided to check if I was playing the same game and... guess what? Technically, I wasn't.

NWNEE may have several under-the-hood changes, but for the average player it doesn't change much - like you can clearly see with BG and IWD.

PS: I knew the "we don't share the reason for banning to protect the former member's privacy" was bullshit.

Edited by Raduziel

13 minutes ago, Raduziel said:

I can't understand why people would buy such module when there are tons of awesome mods for free at NWVault and this new release doesn't bring nothing new to the table - no tilesets, no placeables. Nothing.

If there's one thing Beamdog knows how to do (and really, it's just the one thing), it's weaponizing nostalgia. All they had to do was say it's a tie-in to the latest Baldur's Gate adventure and name-drop Planescape, and that was that. Fans did the rest.

Not following through? Well... surprise surprise.

the remasters of daggerford and moonsea gave people hope that the dlc were gonna be great. the newest one just feels like a cash grab and should have been free.

so unless it was made by Ossian Studios don't bother is what i'm getting at. 

Know what pisses me off the most?

Money, time and manpower were expend in that instead of, IDK, a patch that is more than an year late and that should fix a thing that is not important at all: moving your party through the map.

Trent is a joke as a CEO.

we got a patch in december. it broke fan module scripts. after the last patch broke area transitions. 

this is ridiculous the whole point of the ee was for it to be compatible with all the old modules. but they broke them by switching to a new format apparently and may have not even realized as only me and two people bring it up. 

and before you say " just play diamond" i can't it does not run well on my laptop so it's nwnee or bust. 

I'm a 'comes and goes' poster, so admittedly I didn't immediately notice the big exodus. But this thread explains much.

Oh well, asked for my BG account to be deleted. Doesn't seem to be much point to staying there, where my fav posters to argue with are gone. 😕

On 4/7/2020 at 12:45 PM, shawne said:

If there's one thing Beamdog knows how to do (and really, it's just the one thing), it's weaponizing nostalgia. All they had to do was say it's a tie-in to the latest Baldur's Gate adventure and name-drop Planescape, and that was that. Fans did the rest.

Not following through? Well... surprise surprise.

Not to make excuses for them, but there are probably other circumstances behind closed doors as well. But we won't ever get access to the full story there.

I think it's unfortunate in the end though.. Since Beamdog not being successfull, either by their own incompetence or simply bad luck,means the game might ultimately be left in a lackluster state. Which means it's a loss for everyone.

Personally I don't think marketing old school nostalgia is as effective as it was in 2012. People just don't care as much as they used to and that already niche audience is getting older and fewer in numbers as well.

Larians bg3 might be a decent rpg by itself, but its also a considerably more modern one. And from what I can tell that topic generates more traffic on the forum than any of beamdogs new releases.

This thread also probably doesn't reflect the large number of people who left quietly as well.

Posting this here for historical record while I still remember contents of the post, because mods kindly deleted it. First quote is from this post https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1133887/#Comment_1133887

Spoiler

Antifa means "anti-fascist," and that's it. Antifa have protested and fought back against fascist demonstrations all over the US in the past few years, that's what they do. But they're not an organization with a single coherent ideology, they aren't all anarchists, and they don't want to tear everything down and watch the world burn. They want to defend their communities from fascist violence. Antifa is an ideology, not an organization. It has no members, no dues, no meeting halls, nothing at all like that. Antifa is what you do, not who you are.

Friendly advice - it is not safe to post such things in this police state forum, because according to our very own semiticgod it's classified as terrorism apology.

The moderating team is issuing a level 3 warning for your comment in the politics thread, which defended a recent mass shooter on the grounds that he was merely reacting against leftist intolerance.

We are familiar with your political views and we know that you disagree. However, we cannot have anyone in this community defending the ideology or actions of a terrorist in any way, shape, or form, no matter the ideology of the terrorist.

Thank God I’m not a member there. I can only imagine what that cesspool of a politics thread looks like right now.

I was also called a terrorism supporter by saying that I would nuke WotC's offices.

I mean, that was clearly a very serious comment and actionable threat, so I totally get that.

Yeah, I was so pissed off but afraid of the consequences (it was a level 3 warning after all!) that I've nuked a house on the desert instead.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Thank God I’m not a member there. I can only imagine what that cesspool of a politics thread looks like right now.

Politics can indeed sometimes trigger hostility between users, but ultimately it depends on the forum staff, really. The general gaming Russian forum I frequent has the political subforum about as active as the rest of it combined - which makes sense btw, because the more active participants have aged by 10-20 years since they joined it, lol, - and at worst a user may get temp ban for a weekend to chill down and sober up. And come to think of it, I don't remember any animosity between users on BD forum either, despite them holding opposite views.

Edited by Ardanis

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.