Sign in to follow this  
Arthas

Why is everyone quitting beamdog forums?

I’m afraid the poor mushbrain might already be confused by the four letters, don’t wanna make the ringing sound inside his skull worse.

Someone please close this topic before it becomes a heated mess because we can't be nice people and talk about videogames in a videogame forum

Closing threads is not G3 policy, but we will move posts that go offtopic too much into their own nice little (still public, of course) thread where they can have their fits without disturbing anyone. :)

(EDIT just so this does not give a false impression: I was not addressing any person with "having fits" but the posts.)

21 minutes ago, Arthas said:

And you're not helping your case either by being so aggressive

This is just like your opinion man. As in most cases, things won't improve if no one talks about it. Unless you are a Finnish. As here the rule is, "Silence is golden." ..which doesn't mean you to keep quiet, but to keep it to yourself, if it doesn't hurt you or the overall wellbeing of people.

19 minutes ago, Arthas said:

Someone please close this topic before it becomes a heated mess because we can't be nice people and talk about videogames in a videogame forum

PS, this is not a videogame forum.

13 minutes ago, jastey said:

I was not addressing any person with "having fits" but the posts.

I'll, thanks, but I'll keep mine, thanks.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

1 hour ago, Almateria said:

I'd say that's more in the vein of advocating for the conservative view of gun control which is a thinly veiled white supremacist thing. Although obviously I would not expect you to view white supremacism as terrorism, based on your other views. 🙂

It's me, I'm the thick-skulled LGBT SJW. Trans rights now, kill fascists, guillotine the rich.

...Honestly, I'm still not convinced you aren't just trolling.

But if you are actually serious that "my other views" are to hail nazis and kill trans on sight, then, well, perhaps that thick-skulled characteristic you gave yourself in not entirely unfounded. I always thought you were much more intelligent than that.

PS Ironic how you want to kill and guillotine while I want everybody to live together in peace, yet somehow it's me who's a terrorist, huh?:p

Edited by Ardanis

GeN1e, you have made a mistake. See, the irony was intended. I undestand, that you didn't undestand. See the subjectivity can be shallow as a puddle, and yet cause landslides that take away the coast line.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

38 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Creepin

??

EDIT: Ah, I see. Was hoping you had a Creepin sighting, but oh well. :( (In case you read this, Creepin: hope you are well!)

7 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Hmm, I don't think that was viewed as aggressive, more likely it's that you were partially right about it being about a policy the game is under.

I thought it was a bit aggressive to get in someone's face and say "how about you do your job?"  But in the end that's the only post they didn't remove!

7 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

But you might mistake the update impossibility for something different than what it's for. As you misunderstand the reason why it's there.  See, the game might be larger today than blah blah blah

The bug under discussion in the thread has nothing to do with the game content, it has to do with the external hooks that the app uses to work with the iOS file-handling protocols.  (You can send a zipped /override folder to an ipad with the ".bg1data" or ".bg2data" extensions, and they will be imported into the relevant games.  Due a small but consequential oversight back in 2016, you cannot do that with the ".iwddata" extension.) They could fix the bug without changing a single byte in the game itself, leaving it at the same patch version, and then spend three years working on the 2.6 patch.

I don't misunderstand anything - we got into the details of Beamdog's patch policy in that thread.  Of course, your ignorance of that totally understandable, because the moderators deleted all of our posts.  Which is pretty offensive in itself, never mind their more egregious behavior.  And so, here we are.

Edited by subtledoctor

I was there as well. And seconded Subtledoctors wish for a quick update, so we can mod IWD:we on iOS. So what Subtledoctor said about the situation and it’s start is true.

But the discussion went south from there. It turned into a general discussion about Beamdogs patch cycle and bugs (pathfinding and UI). 

The patch cycle frequency and the politics thread usually host/caters the most heated arguments. And I suspect that the warning  and bans was a delayed consequence of a very heated debate this summer.

This summer numerous posters created accounts and spread the same malicious messages - the wording and posting pattern was the same in many of the posts. 

Many of the post came from one person (or a group of posters) who created multiple accounts it seems.

Since then the moderators have been on constant alert and perhaps been (too?) quick on the move (I haven’t seen it all, so it’s just my impression).

I am still a frequent and happy user of the forum. It’s a great place, but presenting your views in a positive manner and not dissing Beamdog is a good way of handling your self while there..... 

And yes, being a pro LGBT SJW doesn’t hurt either - count me amongst them if you must judge me 😎

13 minutes ago, StummvonBordwehr said:

presenting your views in a positive manner and not dissing Beamdog is a good way of handling your self while there.....

I rather think presenting your views in a way that doesn't violate site rules is a good way of handling yourself, and should preclude you being harassed by moderators and having your posts deleted...

16 minutes ago, StummvonBordwehr said:

And I suspect that the warning  and bans was a delayed consequence of a very heated debate this summer.  This summer numerous posters created accounts and spread the same malicious messages - the wording and posting pattern was the same in many of the posts.  Many of the post came from one person (or a group of posters) who created multiple accounts it seems.

I hardly think that excuses anything.  It is utterly irrelevant, unless you mean to say that is why the moderators have been acting inappropriately... in which case, yeah, it still doesn't excuse anything.

Well it’s not an excuse. Simply because I can’t give an excuse on behalf of others.

But it is my take on an explanation.

One thing that I do know, is that the discussion heated when post where made that seem to suggest a personal attack. Things went really quickly from then on, and the posts where shortly after removed as said.

But It was also suggested that the moderators them selves posted content that meant a ban if the same content had come from a forumite. If so it is something the moderators and the forumites need to work out. I still hope that people will stay and work things out together.

as it is said in politics: don’t threaten people with leaving, threaten them with staying (not a shout at the ongoing Brexit).

I'm actually going to gripe/vent a little more here, because some may think we are being unreasonable, and also don't lie you guys love drama.

As I've been trying to engage with the BD moderators about their behavior, I noticed this post by StummvonBordwehr.  It's in a thread called "you know it's a normal day in the forum when..."

On 11/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, StummvonBordwehr said:

934. Your post is being deleted as you are typing it because the moderators close the thread,
935. You curse the moderating team for deleting your excellent, insightful and humorous post
936. You realise that your post that got lost wasn’t that excellent, insightful or humorous,
937. You ponder if the moderators really where doing you and others a great favour.
938. You treasure the moderators for keeping the forum a great place.

Now, set aside the insensitivity in posting one's joy about a series of events that led to bruised feelings and bans for other people.  Whatever.  The bigger issue is that this post is in CLEAR violation of the site rules, which specifically forbid discussion of any acts of moderation.  As I was in a jokey mood, I drafted a similar post with a different take:

934. Your post is being deleted as you are typing it because the moderators close the thread,
935. You curse the moderating team for deleting your excellent, insightful and humorous post
936. You get jails bars on your avatar for doing so. :(

My post does not use offensive language, it does not attack anyone, it is not trolling or flaming.  It violates site rules to precisely the same degree as the other one.  But in discussing it, the moderators explained that StummvonBordwehr's post is okay and no action will be taken, whereas my post results in a warning and an increase in the 'points' that accrue toward being banned.  I asked why, and they said that "nice" posts are okay, and that "mean" posts are not okay and will result in violations.  I pointed out that my post was not in fact mean, and asked if the moderation team contemplates any difference between between being "mean" and being critical.

I never got an answer to that one; the moderator I was speaking to abruptly ceased conversing with me.  Which is rude in itself!  Who does that?  The BD moderators act with forum members in a way that you would never act with someone in person.  And they find BS reasons to give violations for anyone who displays criticism - even polite and constructive criticism, even valid criticism - knowing that there is really no processing for evaluating or undoing a violation if it was improper.  But if you kiss their asses?  Well then you can walk around breaking the forum rules all day.

That makes for an atmosphere of hostility and control.  To me, that is intolerable.

The users at BeamDog forums are not only "users", they are customers.

I am scared this might result in damage. For BeamDog, the company.

1 hour ago, jastey said:

The users at BeamDog forums are not only "users", they are customers.

Sorry to say that, but we are not 🙂 (perhaps) to them it appears. At least I am not a likely future customer any more, damage done.

According to repeated comments from the BeamDog spokesperson BeamDog is moving beyond D&D. So (I assume) they sold most people here  anything D&D related they had already (IE and NWN). OK, perhaps you are interested in Axis of Evil online  (their next big hit after AAO). But I am not,  I stopped caring about that company after engaging in their forum once waiting for 2.6. It's dead, Jim ! I might buy PF Kingmaker (or future titles) though, looks like very good customer care there.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this