Arthas

Why is everyone quitting beamdog forums?

34 minutes ago, semiticgod said:

but because warnings are confidential, we don't confirm or deny it.

On the mobile version of the forum, you can see the jail on top of the avatar of people that have been warned, so this information is not very confidential...

Thank you all for this mature discussion.  I really hope the modding community and beamdog have a future together. 

I think we need each other (bg would be long dead if it wasn't modded that much, Beamdog created new audience for the games)

On 11/28/2019 at 8:16 PM, semiticgod said:

The rules do apply to Beamdog moderators. But sometimes folks want to know if a moderator got disciplined for a specific comment, and we don't do that for regular users, either. Probably our most common complaint is, "I got warned for arguing with Bill; why wasn't Bill warned?" Bill might actually have been warned, but because warnings are confidential, we don't confirm or deny it. That applies even if Bill is a moderator.

The drawback to confidentiality is that it can create the impression of unfairness, because the information itself is unbalanced. If John and Bill get into an argument, John will know if he received a warning, but he doesn't know if Bill was treated the same, so he suspects unfairness.

That's the cost we have to bear. User confidentiality is more important to us than our own reputation. I'd prefer to keep both, but we have to set priorities.

The problem is that Beamdog is a company that does business and has to pay wages to its employees, not a public space for special snowflakes. With all the sane people leaving it in droves, the company will just go out of business and shut down the forum. So much for the effort to build a safe haven. I mean, how stupid or selfish one has to be to not realize this or not care? I just... fucking can't...

My contract hasn't been terminated just yet, if that's what you're asking. I asked Julius to removed my status on forum several months ago because I was getting tired of this nonsense, which was showing in my choice of language when posting there, and it's been clearly getting on his nerves to have a shitposter on the forum who could be mistaken for a company's representative.

I don't have any particular interest left in BG or modding, or even WRPG in general, anyway.

Edited by Ardanis

I guess I'm a bit late to this party, but I'll throw in my two cents regardless. I do think the quality of the community management over there has declined rapidly as of late (and it wasn't in a stellar place to begin with), and as a result some of us who are critical of Beamdog's actions have been feeling the general atmosphere towards us—and not just us, all criticism of Beamdog—growing hostile and oppressive.

In my eyes, the declining moderation is symptomatic of the general lack of leadership and oversight at Beamdog, which are also responsible for the company's poor content quality control and sluggish support. Nobody over there who's in a leadership position seems to care about maintaining a standard of quality, which tends to lead to devastating results. Case in point.

Edited by Adul
Removed some personal details to avoid rumormongering.

On 11/17/2019 at 6:25 PM, Ardanis said:

Lol, I like where this is going :D Has anyone tried opening older threads over there? It's a fucking graveyard :facepalm:

If anyone's curious, they sent me a "warning" for this post https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1087996#Comment_1087996, claiming I was "apologizing terrorism". Roflmao wut.

Later, they sent me another "warning" when I explained in PM to another participant of the trans thread (would've used the thread itself, but it was clearly veering off-topic) at his immature view of the world, so he proved my point once again and ran crying tears to the mods.

In any case, I've known for several years it was just a matter of time until they banned me. Anyone old enough to remember BWL dramas will understand what I mean😏

Would you mind clarifying if you're trolling or being sarcastic, or if that is what you had actually made out of my posts? I would very, very much like to know if that's what it looked like. I mean it seriously. (Just FYI - while I was certainly trying to talk some common sense into several thick SJW skulls present there, at that point I was already fully aware it was a futile effort to reason with them, so I was half arguing with idiots, half asking other idiots for a long awaited ban.)

I'm not sure why your post wouldn't be a warning.  It was quite a rant.

Edited by Redwall

7 hours ago, Adul said:

In my eyes, the declining moderation is symptomatic of the general lack of leadership and oversight at Beamdog, which are also responsible for the company's poor content quality control and sluggish support. Nobody over there who's in a leadership position seems to care about maintaining a standard of quality, which tends to lead to devastating results. Case in point.

frankly, i think this is conjecture. beamdog could have had the most fantastic PR and community management strategies leading to fewer stresses in the forums and equal or worse products at the same time.

2 hours ago, Redwall said:

I'm not sure why your post wouldn't be a warning.  It was quite a rant.

Thanks! I tried my best :D

I know I shouldn't really have been pouring more oil on fire here by disgracing myself with metoo-likeness, but I got so dead tired of talking to deaf ears for years that I frankly couldn't care less about what happens next anymore.

Edited by Ardanis

On 11/28/2019 at 11:57 AM, Isewein said:

Maybe I am prone to overinterpretation, but I think a lot of what you call the fanboy culture over at beamdog is due to the experience of SoD. The wholesale assault on the entire game because of one silly character (negative GoG review flood; youtube drama etc) makes me somewhat sympathetic to an overzealous desire to shield beamdog from any and all criticism. That certainly isn't productive behaviour, but maybe it can help us all remember that we really are in this together. Beamdogs games wouldn't sell nearly as well without the active modding community, and as @subtledoctor pointed out, for us old guard a glorified mod is actually precisely what we want, so we have an interest in the company doing well and are probably more than happy to throw money at them.

I'd say it's been that way for awhile, but it certainly got a lot worse after SoD.

It wasn't until very recently that it started to bother me and because the activity on the forum at large has decreased, in addition to Beamdogs situation.

You're right that the SoD controversy was an unfortunate and somewhat unpleasant situation for the community, but keep in mind that was 3 1/2 years ago at this point. There's a limit to how long people can keep using that as a shield and at some point we have to move on from that...

These things are fairly short lived anyway.. The ones who did the actual trolling and warmongering, packed their bags and left within the first month..

And as far as I can tell pretty much every gaming community and gaming developers has had their controversy at some point or another. If we're going to be fair I don't think Beamdog deserves special treatment.

Edited by Lanky

10 hours ago, bob_veng said:

frankly, i think this is conjecture. beamdog could have had the most fantastic PR and community management strategies leading to fewer stresses in the forums and equal or worse products at the same time.

You're missing the point. It's not that the community management has anything to do with the quality of their games (or their support). It's that the general ineptitude of the studio is one of the factors behind the poor quality of said community management due to a lack of oversight (or worse - maybe they think Julius and the gang are doing a terrific job).

Edited by Kilivitz

You're misreading my post. The causal relationship is conjecture. There have been bad studios with good marketing, and the opposite. One doesn't follow from another. Those are different disciplines.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.